Panasonic TM700 audio sync on long clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap
The official support forums for divergent media's ScopeBox (video monitoring and recorder) and ClipWrap (m2t to .mov re-wrap).

Old January 26th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Digital Compositor

Panasonic TM700 audio sync on long clips

Hi,

I shot several lectures, about 4 hours in length, which made 5 mts files. I did a test with the demo version of clipwrap and it worked great converting to dv. When I convert longer clips with the purchased version, the audio sync gets further out the longer the conversion.
Any idea why this is happening? This was not something I could foresee using the demo version.

Thanks,

Lawrence
Lawrence Littleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #2
Sponsor: divergent media

Hi Lawrence - Are you using the "join" feature in clipwrap to join them together before converting? If so, can you try converting just the last file separately and confirm that it, converted alone, as in sync? If not, try doing that (add the clips to CW, select them, then select "join" from the clip menu).

-Colin
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Digital Compositor

re: audio sync

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes i did convert the clips separately. I also converted the last clip again and the audio sync was way off. When playing back in qt or vlc or fcp 7, there is a delay of a second or two after the video starts until I hear the audio.

I will try again with the join clips option. I am running a simple rewrap now on the files.

Also, I should mention that I have perian installed. I will try another conversion of the last file with perian uninstalled.

Thanks,

Lawrence
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #4

Ah ok, I suspect joining the clips before converting will solve the issue. Your camera splits clips mid-GOP, so you end up losing some frames each split, pushing sync further and further...

If you still have sync issues with the single joined file, shoot me an email at dmsupport@divergentmedia.com and we'll grab some diagnostic data.

-Colin
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #5
Digital Compositor

re: audio sync

Hi,

I loaded the 5 mts files into clipwrap and joined them and converted to dv. The audio is in perfect sync!

So I guess the lesson is that if you allow the TM700 to record long enough to produce split clips, you need
to join them together in clipwrap before conversion to dv.

Thanks,

Lawrence
Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:03 PM   #6
Major Player

Re: Panasonic TM700 audio sync on long clips

Colin, is there any way to make sure the sync stays in line even when converting the clips unjoined? I could see that happening if 1/2 second of audio is being lost each time, but isn't there a way to detect you're in the middle of a GOP and shift the audio accordingly? In the Wrap+ LPCM mode with separate clips does it do this?

I'm asking because because of another piece of software I use, along with Premiere Pro (which doesn't join MTS files) I require the files to be wrapped separately, and I have noticed the sync being off problem.

Thanks.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:21 PM   #7

Re: Panasonic TM700 audio sync on long clips

Hi Keith - Have you confirmed that this happens in ClipWrap 2.3?

-Colin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap