Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 30th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Curran View Post
I also use this method, as I found HDV to slow expecially for long clips. I also found that I had a greatly reduced number of realtime effects when using HDV on the timeline. I have a G5 dual 2.0 with 4gb ram. AIC is just faster.

Drew

Thanks for all the replies. Drew, do you mean that you capture as AIC? Or you capture as HDV and then convert to AIC? If the latter, how is that done? Thanks.
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lammey View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Drew, do you mean that you capture as AIC? Or you capture as HDV and then convert to AIC? If the latter, how is that done? Thanks.
Hi, Dave,

I capture to HDV and then use Batch Export feature to convert all clips to DVCProHD (720p). On a quad G5 it takes roughly 2:1 realtime (2 min/1 min).
If my sequence uses lots of overlays and intricate, detailed graphics I batch export to AIC instead.
Greg Penetrante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Penetrante View Post
Hi, Dave,

I capture to HDV and then use Batch Export feature to convert all clips to DVCProHD (720p). On a quad G5 it takes roughly 2:1 realtime (2 min/1 min).
If my sequence uses lots of overlays and intricate, detailed graphics I batch export to AIC instead.
Ah, thanks. So here's the dumb question: why convert to DVCProHD? Are you working with 1080i footage originally (from a Sony FX1, for example), and if so, is there any problem converting to 720p?
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Turbo 264 fun

Just bought an Elgato Turbo264 USB stick...

DVCPro 720p/24 to...
iPod Standard (640x480): 17 FPS (!)
iPod Regular (320x240): 60 FPS (!!)
AppleTV (800x480): 17 FPS (!)

Those encode time clearly beat Compressor. The files are also 5-10% smaller. Quality is the same as Compressor multipass.

So far, so good!
Greg Penetrante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:46 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lammey View Post
Ah, thanks. So here's the dumb question: why convert to DVCProHD? Are you working with 1080i footage originally (from a Sony FX1, for example), and if so, is there any problem converting to 720p?
Dave,

I find that DVCProHD is better to work with because 1) Each frame is individual; 2) FCP runs faster with DVCProHD workflow.

I find that converting interlaced to progressive sacrifices a bit in image quality. That said, if you want to go to 720p then the better compromise is 720p60 from 1080i60.

best regards
Greg Penetrante is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite