FS4 / FS4 Pro HD various topics - Page 27 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old March 6th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #391
Regular Crew

more running time.

Get the Tekkeon MP3450 and increase your running time from 90mins(1hr 56mins) to 9.5hrs! approximately 574mins. The tekkeon can be set to 12V that way it would supply the firestore batt. with juice without charging it.

newegg.com has the battery for $118.99 and the thing weighs less than 1lb.

think about it!
- $118.99
- less than 1lb
- increase running time to 9.5hrs in conjuction with the firestore battery.

here are some pictures
http://www.dcrin3.com/fs4hd_upgrade/IMG_0209.jpg
http://www.dcrin3.com/fs4hd_upgrade/IMG_0210.jpg
http://www.dcrin3.com/fs4hd_upgrade/IMG_0211.jpg

Last edited by Kalulu Ngilo; March 6th, 2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: images
Kalulu Ngilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #392
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Kohl View Post
SSDs are interesting too:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/...drives_cometh/

Of course the CF adapter could make it potentially easier to swap storage mediums in the field. That would give the FS-4s, the lost function of being able to swap HDDs, which was on the FS-3s! A nice feature if you are shooting and editing at the same time. You would have to make a major mod on the FS-4 case though.

Heck! my guarantee has expired a long time ago. I think that it will be time to Frankenstore again soon.
If you decide to try modifying your FS-4 to use CF, I'd sure like to know how it works out.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 02:27 AM   #393
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
If you decide to try modifying your FS-4 to use CF, I'd sure like to know how it works out.
He, He, He ... That's the nice thing about this forum, there's bound to be someone stupid (I mean brave) enough to do anything to their expensive gadgets, just to see if something works.

I am one of those people (or at least I have been).

Unfortunately, this little project will have to wait a little (it is officially on my list of things to try out though).

Whoever manages to be the first to make this work (or finds that it won't work), should post their results in a new thread.

Cheers,

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #394
Regular Crew

FS-4 HD Pro coupled with Canon XH A1

Is there still any significance between the FS-C HD and the FS-4 HD Pro? I know this has been asked before, but seeing as I run on a Mac Pro, the Quicktime format is pretty essential to my workflow.

I have done the searches, read all the dated threads and they all seem to conflict with eachother (in most instances) based on date. The thing is though, they go back and forth!

I just received my FS-4 HD Pro today and had ordered it before knowing it wasn't going to do what it is advertised to do so I didn't hesitate.

Will I really lose out on Quicktime 24f? :(
Travis Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #395
Sponsor: divergent media

Afraid so Travis - You can do 24f as M2t files and then use Clipwrap (ClipWrap) to batch wrap them to quicktime after the fact - it's just a rewrap operation, so there's no generation loss or anything.

I've got three XL-H1s and three FS4-ProHDs, and that's what I use.

Disclaimer - I'm friends with Mike from Clipwrap.
Old October 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #396
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McFadden View Post
Afraid so Travis - You can do 24f as M2t files and then use Clipwrap (ClipWrap) to batch wrap them to quicktime after the fact - it's just a rewrap operation, so there's no generation loss or anything.

I've got three XL-H1s and three FS4-ProHDs, and that's what I use.

Disclaimer - I'm friends with Mike from Clipwrap.
I was afraid of this. Seeing as the point that I am getting the FireStore is to cut down on the time utilized in my workflow, I think I will just have to return for a FS-C.

If I have read correctly, there is no other difference between these two FS models, correct? So, I'm not losing out on anything, but only gaining QT 24f?

If that is the case, it is really a no-brainer seeing as I haven't even taken the protective sealing off the LCD.
Travis Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #397
Sponsor: divergent media

I believe the FS-C does everything the FS4ProHD does, plus 24f quicktime, but I can't say for certain.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 10:20 AM   #398
New Boot

Focus Enhancements FS-4?

I wanted to check and see what you guys think about the Focus Enhancements FS-4?
Any problems?
Worth the cost?
Would you buy it again?
How is it compared to the new Sony one?
thanks,
Clint
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:13 PM   #399
Regular Crew

March 31, 2009 5:12pm PST : -- server re-locating, Pictures will return soon.

Back online Apr. 1st and NO its not a trick. It is FACT.

Last edited by Kalulu Ngilo; April 1st, 2009 at 05:25 PM.
Kalulu Ngilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #400
Major Player

Do any of these devices record from the HDMI out or HD-SDI out of cameras to avoid the compression?
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #401
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Duffey View Post
Do any of these devices record from the HDMI out or HD-SDI out of cameras to avoid the compression?
Nope. You'll need to step up to a Convergent unit for that. Quite a bit more money, quite a bit better results.
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:10 AM   #402
Major Player

I was afraid of that..I love their nano/xdr, but the cost is still a bit much. Fair for sure..just more than the avg middle-class worker can afford in these tough times. I wish there was something similar for about 1K price range. I think CineForm is working on something near that with their awesome codecs..I hope. But the nano is very nice.. if I can muster up the cash I'll prob get that with a canon S100.
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #403
Regular Crew

Firestore FS-4 ProHd and Canon XL-H1A, do they work together?

Hi all,

I purchased a Firestore FS-4 ProHD 80 Gig, NTSC but I sent it to Focus and converted it to PAL, software is version 2.0 and tried to use it with my Canon XL-H1a camera. Before I purchased it I contacted Focus USA and they told me I can still use it with my Canon XL-H1a camera. I filmed some tapeless in Quicktime format and I downloaded the .MOV files to my computer but I can not see them, I open them with Quicktime player in PC, there is audio but no video just black screen, I filed HDV 50i, I even downloaded CineForm plugin for Quicktime v7.6.4 and still the same.

Please let me know what I have to do to make it work
By the way what is the difference between Quicktime format and M2T, which one is better?

With kind regards
Mitchell
Mitchell Yazdani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #404
Inner Circle

I've NEVER gotten the quicktime recording to work. I never bother with it.
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #405
Inner Circle

for me the FS-4 has been a love-hate story. I have had problems getting it to work with my Canon XL2. The documentation is, IMO, woefully inadequate, leaving the user to stumble around a lot.

The first unit I got was just not working properly and it took me a while to decide that it wasn't just my newbie operator error.

I have learned to make good recordings with it. Even with 16:9. (not 24P) Quicktime doesn't know how to make a Canon XL2 anamorphic frame 16:9. Not a problem in FCP, but simple QT exports don't size correctly. To do that, I use Quicktime Pro and reset the 720 to 820 in properties. The aspect ratio, while not precise, is close and full frame. If you really need ACTUAL PRECISE aspect ratios, I don't think it's going to happen unless you export from FCP with Compressor.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore