FS4 / FS4 Pro HD various topics - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old September 1st, 2007, 12:57 PM   #316
New Boot

HD Quicktime files are only for editing in Mac FCPro users.
Jose Ramada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #317
Tourist

Computers cannot recognize my FS-4

Itest several computers, none of them can recognize my FS-4, even they can recognize it previously. But when I record video to FS-4, everything looks fine. Does anybody know how to fix this problem? THX!
Kevin Huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #318
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Huang View Post
Itest several computers, none of them can recognize my FS-4, even they can recognize it previously. But when I record video to FS-4, everything looks fine. Does anybody know how to fix this problem? THX!
This is generally because you are just plugging it in and not MOUNTING it to the computer. Once it is attached to the computer, you have to go into the menu on the FS-4 and mount it to the computer. This procedure is not very well explained in the manual and I don't have mine any longer.

By the way, I forgot to do this many times! :)

Mike
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #319
Tourist

Mike, I did that, and the LCD of FS-4 even showed "succeed", then the FS-4 got stucked, and there were no any response when I push any button on FS-4. So finally I had to unplug the Firewire cable and then I got response from FS-4 again.
Kevin Huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #320
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Huang View Post
Mike, I did that, and the LCD of FS-4 even showed "succeed", then the FS-4 got stucked, and there were no any response when I push any button on FS-4. So finally I had to unplug the Firewire cable and then I got response from FS-4 again.
Sounds like it could be a problem with the unit then. You may have to send it for repair. You might try a reset on it first, but you will probably loose your video. I always backed mine up with tape. Sorry!

Mike
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #321
New Boot

This sounds exactly like what I went through with the second unit I had. Contact Focus and have them do a return. They said mine was the first they had seen do this.

Good luck.
Chris Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #322
New Boot

FS-4 to jvc-110u HELP!!!!!!

I am bugging out here because I am having a problem with the FS-4 I just got. I bought a JVC-110U off of eBay used with only 24 hours on it. The camera came with the FS-4 40GB hard drive. When I follow the directions to the “T”, the direve will not sync up with the camera and record. No matter how I set up the settings it just wont sync. It just keeps trying to sync. But when I put it and the camera into DV mode, it looks like it is synced but it won’t record manually or with the camera giving the commands.

Has anyone had a problem similar to this?

The camera arrived late and I expected to have a bit more time with it before I was going to shoot. But I have a job tomorrow and don’t know what to do.

Please help!!!

-mike-

P.S. I also have a different problem with using this camera with avid. I posted this differently and if you feel you can be of any assistance, please go there and take a look at it.
http://www.avid.com/exchange/forums/...ad.aspx#270875
Michael Vallier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #323
Major Player

Hi Michael,

This might seem stupid, but are you sure that your firewire cord is plugged into the DV/IO cord, and that the cord is still good? Ive gotten the comp IO and DV/IO confused alot in the past. The FS4 can be tricky to setup at first but if its not the system then you should start thinking about the firewire port being blown out on the HD110- its very easy to do this. Id try testing getting footage from the tape using DVHScap- just a minute or two so you can rule that out as a possibility.

Alan
Alan Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #324
Regular Crew

Probably not what you want to hear but it does sound like a firewire port issue on the JVC HD100.

It is a well known problem with the HD100 that the firewire interface can be destroyed by plugging or unplugging the firewire cable in with the camera and PC switched on. Also selecting HD/DV on the firewire out selector switch can cause the interface on the cam to fry too.

On the Menu screens make sure the output is IEE1394 (Dont have the manual with me so cant say which screen it is on.)

With the cam and pc switched off, select DV on the firewire out switch turn the pc and cam on. When the pc has booted up it should detect the camera and offer you some choices. If this does not happen, first try a new cable (cheaper than paying for someone to check the cam out initially).

If you are lucky and the computer detects the cam, then the DV side of the firewire is OK.

Time to test the HD side. Windows does not recognise the HD signal so its up to the NLE to do this. Switch off the PC and camera, then select HD output on the firewire switch. Turn on the computer and camera, then load up AVID. The cam should be on before the NLE is loaded well thats the case with Liquid anyways.

Another option is to make sure that the output is on HD or DV and in the Firestore make sure that you are set to the correct input signal. I dont think it converts the input.

Hope this helps

Ian
Ian Broadbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #325
Regular Crew

FS4Pro HD XDCAM EX

Are we going to see a dedicated HD only recorder for the new Sony XDCAM EX camcorder. PS. If it were possible you would sell tones of these if you could convert HD to SD in such a recorder as the FS4 that would allow us to record to SxS in HD and have a copy in HD or SD.

My thoughts.
George Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #326
Regular Crew

Firmware upgrade?

Hi,
where did you get your firmware upgrade for the JVC GY-HD111E?
Thans , Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Nicoletti View Post
Hi there! I am sorry if my English is not correct as your, but I never studied it too much (only 3 yrs at school): the rest is self learned on the Web, so please forgive my mistakes (I hope you'll understand me by the same).
It's my 1st post: congratulations to all the friends in this Forum, I found many helps in these years from you. But now... I am not able to find a solution to my problem:

I have a JVC GY-HD111E (PAL) with "(A)" firmware, so the one recommended by Focus. I have also a Focus FS4 HD (firmware 1.1.0) and I am not able to capturing in "tapeless" mode.

It's all ok with the tape, but when I switch it in "tapeless" mode I can capture clips of 2-5 secs and when I stop the recording with REC button the FS4 doesn't stop (or better: it stops and restart recording a new clip=!

FS4 Configuration:
Record: Normal
Hdd Mode: DV Recorder (same problem in HD, but let's use DV mode); Use ext. FS4: no
DV Formats: AVI Type2
Setup: time and date identical to the Camcorder's ones
Functions: FA Tapeless, FB Disp, FC Lock
Utilities: nothing special, I've formatted the HDD several times and restored factory default settings
Play: Play Clip
Control: Tapeless

When I press "Tapeless" (FA) button a black square (Stop Icon)+ "E" appears in the top left corner of the display. I press REC button on the camera and it starts recording (display light blinks blue and pink): it records few seconds, then it stop and restart recording a new clip of 2-max 5 seconds.

Could someone kindly help me?

Thank you all!
Mick Wilcomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:36 AM   #327
Regular Crew

Overlooking anything? FS-4 Pro HD 60GB

I am wanting to buy an FS-4 Pro HD hard disk for my one of my Z1U's, and another in the future.

I am looking at buying the 60GB hard disk from videoguys.

I thoght the cheapest, and safest way to buy would be, to get the hard disk from videoguys with the Educational Special...

http://www.videoguys.com/FireStore.html

...and then, buy the kit from BHPhotoVideo...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_Kit_for.html

Am I overlooking anything? Do I need to buy anything else? I am in the 9th Grade, so I would be eligible for the Educational Special.

Would you suggest me to buy something else? Thanks for everybody's input, and feedback!!!

Also, does anybody see anything on the horizon, or anything already out there that is much more for the money?

Joseph Hutson
nearsightedproductions.com
Joseph Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:18 PM   #328
Regular Crew

I bought the FS-4 Pro HD kit from Videoguys and was very happy with the accessories (camera mount, several cables, high capacity battery). It's the same kit BH has in your link,

The FS-4 Pro HD works great in both SD and HD modes. The only problems is that if you try to use the Retro Cache in M2T HD mode it may produce corrupted files. It did with my Canon A1 and Sony HC3. If does, however, work in HD in Sync mode with no Retro Cache. In tape-less mode the Retro Cache works, but one does not get a tape backup.

Buddy
Buddy Frazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 03:11 PM   #329
Regular Crew

I will use Quicktime.

Thanks for the info. I don't think I would shoot m2t files, because I am using a mac...therefore I will use Quicktime HD, Quicktime, or Quicktime24.

Thanks again for your input...by the way, how much did you spend on your
FS-4? Did the price tag of $1195 for both the kit(with 3 hr. battery, and mounting kit) look good? It is a special bundle the Videoguys are offering.

Any others want to give any feedback?

Check out my new website, and let me know what you think.

nearsightedproductions.com
Joseph Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #330
Regular Crew

FS-4HD record without a Tape

Hi

Just got the FS-4HD and run into 2 production work. I have read all the setting pdf and info from Both FS-4HD and V1E. All is prefect on location shot and record as much as what I need. Only I setting I still missing in action is the V1E connect to FS-4HD the NO tape flashing on my V1E. I have used just FS-4HD record in NO tape. But still flash when press record saying no tape.

Do anybody did it in V1E with NO tape loaded and not flashing on screen display when DVinput?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore