FS4 / FS4 Pro HD various topics - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old June 16th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #196
New Boot

I have had mine for less than a month and have hardly used it --- mine has started doing it as well. The faceplate has come off too. Do I need to send it in?

Oh, and I have tried setting the contrast as well, too. Doesn't do anything for me.

-- Update
The streaks are fading away. I think it got a little hot and started to go away. I looked at the back of the faceplate and noticed that the backing on the 3M tape was not taken off, so it was never stuck on in the first place. It is on there now - not sure why it didn't come off before.

Last edited by Tim Painter; June 16th, 2006 at 07:25 PM.
Tim Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 05:24 AM   #197
Major Player

it seems to have to do with heat

now when i turn it on it isnt there but last time i saw it was right after i copied the whole disk over and it was quite warm

wonder if i should be concerned about this

will watch it
Old June 17th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #198
Trustee

make sure that you aren't blocking any of the vent holes on the back or sides of the unit, it'll run too hot if it can't get enuf air.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #199
Focus Enhancements

Hi Michael,

If your unit is under warranty, contact Focus tech support. This should be covered under your warranty.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:03 AM   #200
Tourist

FS-4 HD...returned

I recently ordered, received, tested and returned a Firestore FS-4 HD. Before purchasing the unit I looked over the messages on this site, among others, and knew that there was a chance it would not work out for me, but the seller's return policy made the risk worth taking. I am writing this posting to provide information and possibly help out others who were in the same position as I was.

My intention was to use the DTE option of the FS-4 HD to lessen the wear on my Z1, instead of purchasing a deck (which I am now doing) and avoid capture time. The concept is a good one, here is why it did not work out for me;

The HDV format recorded on the FS-4 HD does not work with Final Cut Pro, at all, any FCP version. This is not new information and I was dumb to miss it. On the other hand, the Firestore sell is pretty hard and in my opinion purposely missleading in this area. From now on I will always be suspect of their claims. (And don't talk to me about work-arounds, I buy solutions, not hassles.) Industry publications and most online review sites provided the usual press release based, no-real-world-usage-write-ups. They have advertisers to answer to. User reports are what matter.

My next step was to consider, "O.K., the HDV option does not work, maybe I can just use it to record DV." No. The DV compression recorded to the FS-4 HD is of an inferior quality to just about any other available today, and I have seen them. Maybe not bad for everything, but forget broadcast or professional DVD.

It has a fan kicking in. A quiet fan, but a fan nonetheless. I hear it, the mic hears it. I read a lot about claims of a new fan solution, which I assume is included in the FS-4 HD. From my experience I have found spinning camera record mechanisms to be audible even with the ol' industry standard Betacams, so forget adding a hard drive cooling fan hiss to the mix. Your shooting situations may not be audio sensitive, so maybe you can live with it, I couldn't.

I would also consider that the unit has many vent openings, which allow dust to get in. I work in all kinds of situations, an exposed hard drive is not practical.

The FS-4 HD did function in many ways as it was advertised to, such as sync operation and time code (time code tested only with DV). Overall, the basic operation of these units seems like it will work for a lot of people, as the postings testify. But I would not suggest purchasing a Firestore FS-4 HD unless you are sure the compression works for you and the fan noise is not a problem.

Bottom line, I do not think that DTE technology is quite there yet for many professional situations. The good news is that it will probably not take long for that to change.

Beyond all of this, the unit I recieved would not start with a fully charged battery, only with the AC adapter. Bad luck for $900.00. I guess.
George Dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #201
Focus Enhancements

Hi George,

Sorry that FS-4 HD did not work for you. I wanted to point a couple of things out though...

FS-4 HD does not support Final Cut Pro in HD mode for direct import of clips into the timeline. In a couple of weeks, DR-HD100, FS-C and FS-4Pro HD will have an upgrade available ($39) that allows for direct import of QuickTime HDV clips into Final Cut Pro.

Regarding your comments on compression and recording quality, please note that none of the FS models (with the exception of FS-2) have a codec. Therefore, it does not change the quality or compression rate that is being output by the camera...it is identical to tape.

FS-4 does have a fan. It only comes on when the temperature sensor reaches a point where it needs to cool the system. We have used a s quiet a fan as possible, but understand that the fan is necessary for relaible operation in hot conditions (for all the same reasons a laptop requires a fan).

Hope that helps clear a few things up.

Matt
Old August 15th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #202
Tourist

FCP upgrade

Matt,
Thank you for your reply. I stand corrected on the codec.
I understand that the fan makes the unit reliable, but it is audible. In a dead quiet interview situation it would be heard, otherwise it is probably acceptable.
You said that the FCP HDV enabling upgrade will only be available for the Pro version of the FS-4 HD? If I am reading that right this means that Firestore requires a buyer to spend over $600.00 more (FS-4 HD vs HD Pro) in order to even get the option of buying a $39.00 upgrade that allows it to work with one of the most popular NLE systems in use, which their own literature says it is already compatible with (no caveats). Feel the burn!
George Dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #203
Inner Circle

One other problem with the FS-4 is that it only runs about 75 minutes or so on the standard battery, so it's not much better than HDV tape in terms of continuous recording time. Plus the "on" button is easily bumped during transport hence reducing battery life accordingly: it would be nice if FE made it harder for that to happen.

Besides those two issues I've found the FS-4 to be a useful tool for my purposes, but I agree about watching out for the fan noise. Maybe it would be better if the fan ran continuously?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #204
Focus Enhancements

Kevin,

Just as an FYI, we do have the high capacity battery available if you require longer battery life. It will run for 180 minutes while in record. Your standard battery should run for 90 minutes. Are you sure it is getting a full charge?

Thanks,

Matt
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #205
Regular Crew

Matt,

I just got my FS-C in today and there are a few issues I am having. It seems that I have to be in SD mode to capture quicktime files. I was hoping to capture HDV to my tape while the firestore captured SD quicktime files (we have a lot of same day edits we do in SD so this would help a lot! and we could keep HDV backups on tape) But I guess there is no support for this? Also, I read the post earlier about an update for the FS-C that will allow HDV quicktime capture, I would like to find out more about this...but the Focus Ehancements site has no additional information on it anywhere.
Lowell Oswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #206
Inner Circle

Numbered folders on FS-4?

I just noticed that my FS-4 has ten folders numbered 0-9 on it, in addition to any data folders created during recording. Are these just there for organizing files on the drive, or do they have some other purpose? Can I rename them?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:50 AM   #207
Focus Enhancements

Hi Kevin,

If you have 10 folders on the drive, you have an FS-4Pro or FS-4Pro HD. The ten folders can be renamed and then used with the Reels functionality on the product where you can categorize clips into particular folders during recording. Consult your user manual for more information on Reels. I would recommend that you use the Function keys with Reels or that you use the optional external hardwire remote control.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Old August 25th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #208
Regular Crew

Problems with mys FS-4 Or Have I Been Stupid!

HI folks,

I recently bought an FS-4 of Ebay. F!?% me I hear you say....but it was a very good deal. Anyway when i recieved it, it looked practically new. I could see no marks are anything and the front still had the protective plastic wrap on it. The dv cable was still in it's sealed bag etc. however the box was missing. I was led to believe it was being sold due to liquidation. However I digress....What i am trying to say it that this thing is practically new.

I have tried the fs-4 on two wedding shoots and some other sports events. I have had problems each time. Sometimes the fs-4 records without problem and others the clip is recorded but all i get is what can only be described as interference. i.e if i recorded 100 clips quite a few would be perfect and the rest just this interferance. I am using and xl1-s and have also tried it in my xm1. If I have a problem who can I contact as I obviously do not have a warranty. I am not exactly sure of the model bout given the record time possible it is definetly an 80g version and from reading posts here it seems to be and FS-4. The frimware version is 1.01.04042605 PAL

Has anyone experienced this before. Could the cable be dodgy? Should i format the hard disc? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Stephen
Stephen Kettyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #209
Inner Circle

The information on what version you have comes on the screen for a few seconds when you fire it up, FS-4-80gig-Pro-HD, whatever. You may have to do it several times as it goes by pretty quick.

Focus has reps on this forum, so you may get a response from them. Be sure to check your cable etc., and post the exact problem you are having, and what your whole set-up is like.

In addition, just because you do not have a warrantee at this time, does not mean you can't contact them for help through their site.

The following was on their site under trouble shooting:

"If the problem is with video quality, check to make sure that audio and video cables are not running parallel to power cables. If they must run parallel, there should be at least 6 inches between them. Another thing that can affect audio and video quality is having equipment or cables too close to a high voltage radiation source like a monitor or TV. Try moving the monitor or TV further away."

Keep us posted.

Mike
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #210
New Boot

FS4 / FS4 Pro HD various topics

HELLO,
last I acquired a FS4 Pro HD, and have been updating to the versions you complete 1.1. Days ago I acquired the version 2.0 that allows to record in QuickTime.
Is to me stranger who in the manual of operation explains clearly all the formats HD that hdv supports in QuickTime including the format 720p/25. Then I cannot register material to 25p of any possible way, however if 720p/30 can be registered Perhaps there is something I am not doing or, or in the form to form the camera or the disc, but as it said is to me very strange, since I have camera JVC HD100 version “A” and there is no form to register QuickTime to 720p/25. if somebody knows since to do please I thank for it the aid.
greetings.
Fernando Hermoso is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore