FS4 / FS4 Pro HD various topics - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:37 AM   #301
Major Player

85 views and no one with an answer? This is a focus enhancement forum, right?
Old July 2nd, 2007, 01:09 PM   #302
Obstreperous Rex

You're going to find disparities in model numbers and in pricing with the FireStore FS-4 line as there are a number of different FS-4 models; some are HD and some are SD, there are different storage capacities and so on. The Focus Enhancements parts numbers beginning "ASYF" have changed over time as well. Prices are all over the map when you consider how many grey-market dealers are out there. So the different part numbers and prices are not at all uncommon.

Here's what you need to do if you're looking for an FS-4 to use with your Sony PD150.

First, disregard these part numbers and prices.

Second, contact one of our trusted DV Info Net Sponsors such as Abel Cine, Zotz, B&H, ZGC, TapeWorks, Videoguys. Any of them will assist you with finding the right FS-4 for your particular needs. Their prices are competitive and they are all completely trustworthy. They are the only FireStore dealers we recommend here at DV Info Net. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:58 PM   #303
Tourist

the ASYF-1158-01LF is this - so if you have th other, maybe youcan tell

Manufacturer. Manufacturer Part Number Universal Product Code (UPC) Weight. (lbs.)
FOCUS ENHANCEMENTS ASYF-1158-01LF 095357011588 3.3

FS-4 Portable DTE Recorders - 40GB - Black

EMJ Sku:4133813
FS-4HD 40GB ( BLACK) Featuring a comprehensive backlit display, an easy-to-use menu system, a hard drive, and a removable, rechargeable battery, the Focus FS-4 is the perfect DTE companion for DV and HDV handheld shoots. Designed for use in even the roughest conditions, the FS-4 includes a six- or ten-second (model-dependent) electronic shock cache to ensure that you never lose footage. Audio, video, timecode, and control information is passed through a single FireWire cable, allowing you to record to disk and tape simultaneously. FS-4 Portable DTE Recorders are compatible with a wide range of nonlinear editing systems.
Damon Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:38 PM   #304
Major Player

Damon and Chris,
Thanks for the replys!

Damon, I do not have one at this point. I am looking to obtain one. The description you gave sounds like the way they are all described, except for the color silver or black.

Chris, you are probably right. I am probably going to have to contact B&H with whom I have done a ton of business. I was hoping I could find a used one for less money - don't we all!.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:52 AM   #305
Regular Crew

JVC HD110 & FS-4ProHD HDV24P?

Is anybody using the FS-4ProHD (60 gig) and recording HDV720p @ 24fps not 30?
Jamon Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 02:12 PM   #306

I'm recording 24p on an FS-4HD, not the pro version.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #307
Regular Crew

FS-4 vs VD tape

http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/seg...how=all_videos

In this segment its stated that a Firestore recorder apparently can capture uncompressed footage from your camera, where the DV tape compresses the signal 5:1 . Is that the case in any format you capture in on the FS-4 HD, whether you use Raw, AVI2 or HD?

Last edited by Nik Skjoth; August 11th, 2007 at 11:26 PM.
Nik Skjoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #308
New Boot

FS-4 vs VD tape

I looked at the Digital Juice video, interesting, and informative in general, but I believe you were mislead by that reference to capture showing a Firestore unit. They capture DV or HDV, which are both compressed formats. Uncompressed outputs are available on the Canon XL H1 and XH G1 cameras, but not recordable by any Firestore unit that I have seen so far, but maybe they can tell you what plans they have for that.

The data rates of SD DV and HDV 1080i are the same (25Mb/s) due to the fact that HDV uses MPEG-2 compression even though it's a larger higher res image, thereby allowing you to use the same tape format with the same running times. HD-SDI has a data rate of 1.485 gigabit/second along with 4:2:2 color sampling. Big difference there. There are recorders for uncompressed HD, but not in that price range.
Brian Nokell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:59 PM   #309
Tourist

Coach needs a little help(FS-4 question)

My school is using a Firestore 4.

My school is using a Firestore 4.

The individual who used this system last is no longer with the program and is not around to help me with using this program.

I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I am looking for what file type to record as. I have tried a few and the conversion is going to take ours to get it onto the server where we post the pictures.

We do not need the audio. I have tried AVI type one. Tonight we tried AVI type two. We can not use quicktime. I was just looking for some help and any help would be nice. I am looking for a little smaller consuming of space as that will help the transcode process. I think that it needs to be an .avi. I just don’t know the difference between the two. I know that the transcoder is switching it to .WMV file. Please let me know. I am a little lost with the options, I have tried reading up with all the different types of files that are available but couldn’t find anything that would help me out.

Please any of your experience can help,
Ryan Fiereck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:21 AM   #310
Regular Crew

.avi is the most common Windows format for standard definition from a miniDV digital camcorder. I assume your camcorder uses tape and not DVD or hard drive. Is that correct? What make and model is it?

The .avi type really effects the editor. What editor are you using? AVI Type 2 is used by Premiere, Vegas and most others.

Each hour of .avi video is about 13GB. When you connect the FS-4 to the computer and set it to act like a hard drive, Windows should show is as just another hard drive on your system. You can then drag the files to the hard drive in you computer. That shouldn't take more than 10 minutes for an hour of video.

Buddy
Buddy Frazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:21 PM   #311
Tourist

We i dont not know the names of the camcoreders we are using.

I am currently trying to code it over with Type 2 avi.

It takes about 10 mins to code over then we need to use a special Game Manager program that will allow us to upload and share with other teams.

That is where the length comes into affect(or effect). I thought that Type 2 might be a smaller file. So i tried that today...seems to be about the same.

Last year one of the coaches said that they used to have the files come out in an audio and video. Two separte streams. They would delete the audio and just use the video for uploading.

I am going to try to stick with one of the two formats. We have a scrimmage this Sat. I just dont know which one to go with. At this point I will take the audio included.

I think the camera's we are using are mostly the mini DV based cameras.

About the video editor.. I think as long as it is an .avi it will read it. I just dont know which one is better to go with.

Thanks again for any more help you can provide.

Thanks,
Ryan Fiereck
Old August 23rd, 2007, 03:29 PM   #312
Sponsor: divergent media

Hey there - The firestore itself isn't ever going to manipulate the video, so the filesize is the same no matter what format you choose. Each of those options is just a different wrapper - the actual video data is the same, and the filesize will be the same (plus or minus a few bytes of wrapper I suppose). Type-2 is more standard for video editing software on Windows, and if your transcoding software is supporting it, I'd stick with that.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:30 PM   #313
Tourist

is there no way

to have the audio and the video in two different files?
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:37 PM   #314
Sponsor: divergent media

Not straight off the Firestore
Old August 27th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #315
Regular Crew

FS-4 Pro HD to Quicktime

Is anyone able to playback an HD Quicktime file generated by the FS-4 Pro HD on a Windows PC?

I have QuickTime Pro, but must be missing a codec or something. (M2T files do playback with a variety of editors and viewers on my PC.)

Buddy
Buddy Frazer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore