Canon XH A1 and Firestore - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old July 6th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #61
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farishad Latjuba View Post
What about PAL version? 25F on the FS-C model? Or even better, the model that can receive 24F, 25F & 30F.
I have upgraded XHA1. It can do PAL and NTSC. So which firestone model does both? I want to be able to do 24f,25f,30f,50i,60i
David Chia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:05 AM   #62
Regular Crew

Wade,
I use and FS-4Pro HD with my A1 and Vegas 7 and it works perfectly in Standard Definition.

In HDV there are some issues with the m2t files it creates.
1. The Retro Cache does not work. It creates corrupted files. I am working with Focus Enhancements on the issue, but it is not solved.
2. Since the FS-4 breaks the files about every 8.5 minutes, they do not join together seamlessly. However, Danny Fye has written a .bat file to concatenate them and create a single file with no breaks. (Search this forum for the file.)

Buddy
Buddy Frazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Buddy,

Yes, I've read the sticky in here referencing the work-around by Danny Fye. I'm glad to hear that SD works without a hitch though. Thanks. Sounds like it isn't worth the extra dollars to go with the FS-C.

Last edited by Wade Hanchey; July 7th, 2007 at 04:57 AM.
Wade Hanchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #64
Major Player

I've been working for some weeks now with a Firestore FS4 PRO HD (80gb), in combination with a Canon XH A1. It does work without any problem, either in sd or hd.
I use Final Cut Pro. I do not understand all the bashing of the Firestore at all, as it saved me hours of capturing time, and it's so easy to work with.

The only smaller problem is the firewire cable into the harddisk, I have to check a lot if it's still connected firmly. An angled cable would solve this though.
Eugene Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #65
Regular Crew

Eugene,
I assume you record the files as QuickTime with the FS-4. Do you use Retro Record successfully?

I use a Windows PC with QuickTime Pro, but can't seem to play the QuickTime HD files created with the FS-4. Do you have any idea why not?

Buddy
Buddy Frazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Frazer View Post
Eugene,
I assume you record the files as QuickTime with the FS-4. Do you use Retro Record successfully?

I use a Windows PC with QuickTime Pro, but can't seem to play the QuickTime HD files created with the FS-4. Do you have any idea why not?

Buddy

Hi Buddy,

I record the files as Quicktime yes. I haven't checked the Retro Record modus yet. It's not that essential for me...
Eugene Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #67
Regular Crew

For those with the FS-C unit, does it give you the ability to record tapes that have been previously recorded? In other words, can I take a tape I shot last week, play it back in the camera and create files inside the unit?

Thanks a ton,

Brian Spatz
Brian Spatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #68
Major Player

Okay...just spent 20 minutes reading the entire thread...wow.

We have a H1...

Has anyone successfully used ANY version of the Focus Enhancement Firestore...to record HD, 1080/24f and then bring it into an AVID ADRENALINE ?

Right now we have to use a Convergence Connect box to bring in the footage real time...via HDSDI. Sucks because talking with the camera is difficult AND hard on the H1.

At NAB...AVID guys were running around with a Firestore and H1...we stopped two of them and asked how they were editing the footage....answer:

"uh...we havent' figured that out yet" ! REALLY ????

Any suggestions ?

Thanks !
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #69
New Boot

status of 2.1 beta for FS-C?

Based on the status of this thread, and the lack of info on FE's website regarding firmware v2.1, I thought I would try to revive this conversation.

Is there any update on the FS-C v2.1 update that will add quicktime file support for 1080i 24F? or any other model that will add this capability?

Thanks.
Jim Stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #70
Regular Crew

Jim, I've been wondering the same thing and the only solution I can find, even after talking with the Focus Enhancements sales rep is the Canon FSC-60/100 Firestore. Since it is made by and for a Canon it will support all Canon codecs and frame rates. They are a little pricey but I think the lack of headache and frustration will make up for that...
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #71
Major Player

FS-4Pro HD and XH-A1

A real quick question...

I'm interested in buying the FS-4Pro HD, but am unsure if it supports all the recording modes of the Canon XH-A1.

Thanks.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Only the FS-C will support all of the A1s format. I believe the FS-4 series supports the 60i/m2t files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Frost View Post
A real quick question...

I'm interested in buying the FS-4Pro HD, but am unsure if it supports all the recording modes of the Canon XH-A1.

Thanks.
Old March 24th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #73
Tourist

hi

i live in the uk where can i pruchase the firestore for canon?
Daniel Kucharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #74
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Spatz View Post
For those with the FS-C unit, does it give you the ability to record tapes that have been previously recorded? In other words, can I take a tape I shot last week, play it back in the camera and create files inside the unit?

Thanks a ton,

Brian Spatz
I have done this successfully. The only problem is that it ends up being one big file instead of several small ones. I've done it this way in the past because I've had issues with the Firewire connection while recording in the field. So when I can, I just shoot tape only and transfer while driving back to the office (newspaper/website) provided the trip back is longer than the footage I've captured.
John J. Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #75
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Kucharski View Post
i live in the uk where can i pruchase the firestore for canon?
The UK distributor for Firestore products is
Holdan Limited,
Unit 2 Waterside Business Park,
Hadfield,
Glossop,
SK13 1BE,
United Kingdom
http://www.holdan.co.uk/focus/fs4.htm

I bought a FireStore FS-4 Pro 60 GB with my A1 (I didn't know about the existence of the FS-C).

The Holdan website is a bit vague about whether you can actually buy the FS-C here - the left hand side of the age states:

QUOTE: FireStore FS-4Pro HD / FS-C
The FireStore FS-4Pro HD & FS-C Portable DTE Recorder brings all of the features of the FireStore FS-4Pro to DV and HDV camcorders and editing systems. Using reels, the FS-4Pro HD 60Gb /FS-C 60 Gb makes it easy to categorize clips by placing them in prenamed folders on the disk while you shoot. 90 Minute Battery Supplied. FS-4Pro 80Gb/100Gb/FS-C 100Gb - 180 Minute Battery Supplied.
Supports:
SD - Raw DV, AVI Type 1&2, Matrox & Canopus AVI & QuickTime, P2 MXF(DVCPRO25), Pinnacle AVI, AVID OMF & DV-MXF.
HDV - 720p/1080i (*.m2t) and QT 1080i 50/60
/QUOTE

but the right hand side specifies models and prices:

QUOTE:
Focus FS-4 Portable DTE Recorders are available in two models
The FS-4 HD and the FS-4Pro HD (available in 60/80/100Gb)
Model
FS-4
HD 60Gb

FS-4Pro HD 60Gb

FS-4Pro HD 80Gb

FS-4Pro HD 100Gb

/QUOTE

so I'm still mystified. How about you email them and find out and tell us here?
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore