DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Helping Hands (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/helping-hands/)
-   -   Helping Hands from 2006 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/helping-hands/19553-helping-hands-2006-a.html)

Paul Reichelt May 25th, 2006 08:56 AM

Tom Savini is the f'ing man :) He NEEDS to be in this documentary. His commentaries on Dawn of the Dead & Day of the Dead pwn :)

David Mintzer May 25th, 2006 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Pisarri
GEORGE ROMERO FEATURE DOCUMENTARY NEEDS SHOOTERS & PA'S WITH CARS -- MAY 27 - JUNE 22

DEAD ON: The life and cinema of George A. Romero, a feature documentary on George Romero (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Creepshow, Land of the Dead), is currently in production and is looking for camera people who have experience using the Canon XL 2.

The Chicago based crew will be in Los Angeles from May 26 - June 23 and is looking for experienced camera people who are willing to work on this exciting production for credit, gas and food.

Current participants already include: Stephen King, John Landis, John Waters, Wim Wenders, Danny Boyle, Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriquez, Richard Linkletter, Rob Zombie, Penn (Penn & Teller), Roger Ebert and many others.

Let us know about your availability, whether you have transportation and if you have a camera or other equipment of your own (lights, sound, tripod).

There is no pay for this project but the film has already secured festival play at a number of film festivals around the globe even though it is still in production.

A Film by Rusty Nails!
Please contact: William/whpisarri@hotmail.com/773.369.2382

I wasn't aware that one could "secure" festival play particularly if you are like Rusty Nails---someone who isn't exactly well renowned in the world of film. This sounds to me like a typical attempt to get people to work for free by doing a bit of the old snake oil sales

Dave Halliday May 25th, 2006 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tip McPartland
Why should videography be the only type of employment where the minimum wage law is violated with seeming impunity? You are unethical to ensnare wannabe videographers with a project like this.

At least pay minimum wage to these poor newbies and avoid violating federal law while offering them the modicum of dignity that some small amount of pay offers.

Do you wish to explain why you are above the minimum wage laws? I'd love to hear it.

Tip McPartland

You can't get around Federal Minimum Wage laws. In the film industry, people just don't report violators:

"Do you want the job or not? Ok, then. Put the alligator suit back on and jump out of the moving car when I say, "action!'"

Greg Boston May 25th, 2006 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
What, no interview with Tom Savini????

Can't be much of a doc then.

(Snark) I'm a Romero fan.

I have one of Tom Savini's books on the SFX stuff in those movies. Pretty interesting even though I thought it was going to be more instructional than documentary.

Tip McPartland May 25th, 2006 12:59 PM

Don't forget the octopus motor...

I have ranted against these types of ads on various forums and lists in the past, and I still believe that a producer should offer some payment to everyone working.

True, hobbyists might enjoy the experience, but a producer should want at least aspiring professionals if taping people such as listed in this post. Remember, sometimes there aren't second takes.

Obviously this is not a direct reflection on this poster, but oftentimes these producer types won't even bother to send the footage for the "employee's" reel. If supply and demand is the reason for people working for free, that doesn't sound like a fair marketplace. Maybe some of the "supply" should asked to get paid, then there would be a bit of pressure on the "demand" to at least pay minimum wage.

Even Ed Wood paid people.

Tip

Dave Halliday May 25th, 2006 05:38 PM

Tip, don't get me wrong, I'm completely with you. I flag posts like this when I see them on Craigslist--it keeps it from being a "labor" market.

Eric Elliott May 26th, 2006 12:24 AM

Xxx

Remember the "3 Xs": (The three reasons to take on a project.)

X-posure
X-perience
X-tremely good money

Only one of those has anything to do with getting paid.

"Copy, meal, and credit" is a standard deal in indie / student productions. The minimum wage law doesn't apply because it's not an employment situation. Does your friend have to pay you minimum and fill out Social Security forms for the two hours you helped him clean out his garage? Do other people get outraged that he didn't offer to pay you?

These guys are paying for <i>gas!</i> That's more than most indies do!

Elliot Press May 26th, 2006 01:38 AM

Hey mate, I'm in Perth. Shouldn't be too hard to find a good camera in that price range. Where abouts in PErth are you going to be?
In Fremantle we have the Film and TV Institute, www.fti.asn.au, that rent out equipment, but more often than not that have a notice board up with people wanting to sell 2nd hand gear.

It'd be cool to hok up with you when you're over and go looking cause I'm need of an upgrade too; only when you come to Australia I'm leaving Australia ;)

Joe Barker May 26th, 2006 05:46 AM

Camera's in Perth

I live in Perth and its hard to find a bargain on good quallity camera's.
I bought my XL2 on the internet because it was 2 grand $Aus cheaper than buying local.The local agent for Panasonic was going to let me have the 100
for $5000.Go online and check the classified in our local rag called the Quakka,occationaly you can pick up some good gear.I am also a member of FTI in Fremantle,I havent seen any camera's on the board for a few months but you can hire XL1's there.Remember we are ony a tiny population ,so you have to realy hunt around for any bargains.Our main proffesional video camera and eqiupment shop is www.plazacameras.com.au.hope this helps.

Elliot Press May 26th, 2006 06:35 AM

Yeah Plaza is definately the way to go. Thinking of heading there in the next week.

David Mintzer May 26th, 2006 07:30 AM

Agreed, but this ad is written as if this is a professional production---you know, the Chicago based crew will be in Los Angeles-----a listing of some very heavy hitters-----and then of course, the we can't pay you but you will become famous like us at the very end.

Cole McDonald May 26th, 2006 08:02 AM

What would be the impetus to write a less than professional request for a project like this?

No offence intended, but I guess I still don't see the problem here...if you don't agree...don't participate, you've said your piece, let folks weigh that aginst their willingness to work for something that may or may not make it big, but seems to be painted as a professional effort.

Brian K Jones May 26th, 2006 10:07 AM

I agree with alot of what has been said here...

1. If you don't want to participate, don't.

2. As stated above, this is absolutely NOT an employment situation and federal wage laws don't apply. If they did, every indie or student production would have a serious problem!

I do find it a little odd that a production of this stature (and I am going off of the names of participants listed when I say stature) would be looking for free help off of dvinfo.net. Something does not jive up with this situation in my opinion...I have an XL2, a tripod and some lighting...but I just don't know...

Brian K Jones May 26th, 2006 10:10 AM

Call me suspicious, but I mean, the dude is using a hotmail address...

Tip McPartland May 26th, 2006 10:25 AM

Wanted, people to clean my garage for free...

I agree that friends helping friends is fine, whether cleaning a garage or making a film. I of course have volunteered to help my friends before as have us all, whether moving furniture or lightstands, and they in turn have helped me. I also lower my camera and location sound day rates for deserving but underfinanced friends.

But this kind of cooperation among friends cannot be confused with trading on the hopes and dreams of strangers to persuade them to WORK for free. And if you doubt that filmmaking is work, and among the hardest work there is at times, and certainly with some of the longest hours, then you haven't been on set very much.

But let's help these poor, poor producers -- after all, they have no money. Well, maybe they have a little, they just don't want to spend it on you.

Let's see, they can afford to bring a "crew" including themselves out from Chicago to LA and maintain them in a rather expensive city for almost a month. I wonder if they're crashing on friends' couches or sleeping in their cars, I would guess not. Perhaps instead they're sleeping in nice lodging as well they should. No doubt they are eating at decent places, also as well they should.

But they don't have ANY money to pay the camera operators who put their subjects on the screen. Well, to each their own, those who support this type of recruitment should call them right away and volunteer. And by all means bring your Varicam!

After all, each and every cam op will achieve fame and fortune from the film festival play alone! You can be certain that all festival attendees will have palm pilots or scratch pads ready as the credits roll and will write down your name, ferret out your phone number, and call you first after these screenings! And these future gigs will pay! Your career will be launched!

Anyway, back to reality, no, this is nothing like helping a friend clean out his garage. What it is like is trying to get people YOU DON"T KNOW to clean your garage for you without pay.

Anyway, my garage is an incredible mess, you supporters of this post certainly wouldn't mind coming over and helping clean it for free, would you?

I'll buy the pizza!

Tip