ALERT: Power OFF before changing Firewire or switching HDV/DV - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 17th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Blown camera and canopus

Hi, I really recomend turning all off. I own a PowerMac G5 and it has blown not only a canopus ADVC100 but also my JVCHD100, BE really careful with macs!!
Federico Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #62
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
You're playin' with fire! (pun intended)
Thanks. I'm gonna change my evil ways...

The one that surprises me the most is the dv/hdv switch. Wouldn't think that'd be damaging...
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #63
Major Player

Some responses here say the port isolator solves the issue, cuts the power rendering it equivilant to a 4 pin. Others are saying, no, even with the port isolator you still need to shut both down.

Which is it?
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:14 PM   #64
Major Player

Statistically Static

I ain't buyin' it. Can you zorch stuff? Oh yeah! Have I? First time I turned on my new G5, I felt the static discharge leave my finger and poof. No mac. But only for a few minutes. Whatever flipped, flopped. SO I was fine. Whew.

I wonder - out loud - if it isn't all about static discharge - and NOT hot-swapping. If you can set your Jeep on fire at a gas station w/ static, surely you can zorch your camera - but who is wondering if this blonde had her car running while fueling? Did she plug the filler neck in upside down?

Maybe....but I bet each of you zorched your gear another way, and just assumed it was hot swapping. I'm willing to sit corrected, but...zzzzaaaapp!

Jeff

Last edited by Jeffrey Butler; February 23rd, 2007 at 03:25 PM.
Jeffrey Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:15 PM   #65
Major Player

But...

Just so I'm not corrected, the original post lost it's meaning in my reply. Hot swapping w/ a particular camera that has particular issues - sure. I'll buy that. But not generally.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 03:08 PM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
I have not had time to contact Kramer again and find out what was going on--I just returned it because apparently (maybe) the thing doesn't work with HDV HD signals--only DV stuff.

That's really only a guess, but you may want to watch out for this if you buy one and you are using an HD100.

Anybody else back this up? I haven't used an HDV signal with the Kramer box yet but I won't be happy if this can't, for whatever reason, pass a HDV signal...Carl - does this ring any bells?

Would sleep mode in the mac constitute a full powering off?
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:19 PM   #67
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood
Anybody else back this up? I haven't used an HDV signal with the Kramer box yet but I won't be happy if this can't, for whatever reason, pass a HDV signal...Carl - does this ring any bells?

Would sleep mode in the mac constitute a full powering off?
I'm not a Mac user, so I don't know. Can a Mac owner answer this question?
Old February 26th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Dave and Carl,

When I put my mac to sleep mode the firewire drive that's getting power from the bus goes off as well. So, I'd say sleep mode is the same as powering off (at least on the firewire side). One weird thing, I thought that my mac killed the HD100 firewire port. I plugged the HD100 to a WinXP machine and it worked. It's FW port still doesn't work on the mac (the mac powers other devices fine). Go figure! I just ordered a port isolator to remove my anxeity.

George
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #69
Major Player

Cheers George. Be handy if Sleep mode was fine...it only takes a second to spring back to life.
Thanks.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #70
Regular Crew

I'm going to ask this naively, because I'm praying to God this isn't the case. I've tried connecting my HD100 to my Windows computer, a Mac laptop, and an IMac. None of the system recognize the camera. I've tried with a 4 to 6 and a 6 to 6 and neither of those work. Do I have a blown port? If so, how much does it cost to get repaired and how long does the process take?

Edit: Is there anyway I can test it to make sure whether or not it's blown?
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #71
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Clarke View Post
I'm going to ask this naively, because I'm praying to God this isn't the case. I've tried connecting my HD100 to my Windows computer, a Mac laptop, and an IMac. None of the system recognize the camera. I've tried with a 4 to 6 and a 6 to 6 and neither of those work. Do I have a blown port? If so, how much does it cost to get repaired and how long does the process take?

Edit: Is there anyway I can test it to make sure whether or not it's blown?
Have you called JVC support? (See sticky at top of forum for instructions)
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Carl, yes. But it's after hours and I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning. In the meantime, I'm enjoying a minor coronary.
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #73
Major Player

My Sony DSR-11 has a little label on it that says "DO NOT hot-swap firewire" -- I made the label because one of the first things I did with it was to burn out the firewire chip.

Firewire has never been reliably hot-swapable see:

http://www.wiebetech.com/pressreleas...rtFailures.htm

http://lowendmac.com/misc/03/0421.html
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #74
Regular Crew

Hey Peter, you're from Lewisburg? I'm from Schuylkill County myself.
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #75
New Boot

About all this firewire subject, i can afirm that JVC released a service bulletin in order to change the 6 pin IEEE plug for a improved one, which avoids REVERSE insertion of the DV cable. A great number of damaged Firewire ic's (integrated circuits) was due to wrong insertion of the cable. I've seen some ic's with a hole in it!
Despite this measure, for better protection, is always better to power-off the camera before inserting the cable.

Regards
Bruno Vaz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems