ALERT: Power OFF before changing Firewire or switching HDV/DV - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 5th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #76
Major Player

Firewire Port Isolator

Love to get one
Been trying to order one for weeks from Firewire Depot every time i email them, to they come back with still waiting for them to be shipped to them
does anybody know if there is another place to get one.
went online found a place called Capture Integration the firewire port isolator
almost looks the same as the one at firewire depot the price was double
but that was ok, but when i called the place to order the sales persons
this firewire was for Still Cameras only
So if anybody knows where to get one
please email me.
Thanks
Joe
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #77
Major Player

Firewire Port Isolator

Sorry i repeated my thread

Last edited by Joseph A. Benoit; July 6th, 2007 at 12:02 AM.
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #78
Major Player

Order my port isolator today
they got them in stock today
Joe
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #79
Space Hipster

Is this firewire connecting a concern with the HD200 cameras?
On a recent shoot, I used the firewire to transfer time code data from a Sony DVCAM to my camera. I always shut mine off, although I didn't see any mention of doing this in the manual. Sometimes the Sony was on, sometimes off. Should both cameras have always been off when connecting the firewire?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #80
Major Player

Hi Glen
Yes firewire is an issue with 6 pin firewires.They give a warning in your user manual.
you should always turn off all devices when connecting or disconnecting devices. or take the risk of a fried firewire ports
I just bought from (FIREWIRE DEPOT) a 1394a 8 inch port isolator
this will help with problem

Joe
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #81
Regular Crew

would this be ok?

I have a Buffalo 500GB DriveStation Duo which has both 4 and 6 pin firewire connectors. The 4 pin is connected permanently to my laptop. The drive is turned on and off as needed and never hot swapped.

Would it be ok to connect the spare 6 pin on the drive (see http://www.buffalotech.com/images/pr...uo-back-lg.jpg for a picture) to my HD111E and then switch both devices on?

This way I could keep my laptop on all the time and I am not technically hot swapping. Maybe I could also get a power isolated lead (anybody know where I can get one in the UK?) to help isolate the power.
Alex Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #82
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Wren View Post
I have a Buffalo 500GB DriveStation Duo which has both 4 and 6 pin firewire connectors. The 4 pin is connected permanently to my laptop. The drive is turned on and off as needed and never hot swapped.

Would it be ok to connect the spare 6 pin on the drive (see http://www.buffalotech.com/images/pr...uo-back-lg.jpg for a picture) to my HD111E and then switch both devices on?

This way I could keep my laptop on all the time and I am not technically hot swapping. Maybe I could also get a power isolated lead (anybody know where I can get one in the UK?) to help isolate the power.
I can't see how this wouldn't work. Might require a bit of experimenting with a multimeter to ensure all power and data is isolated when the drive is off.

I'm really interested in an answer to this. I'd do a similar thing with my firewire drive if this is an option.
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:57 PM   #83
Tourist

I fried my JVC HD100, it cost $2800 to fix because it's the main board that's fried. Thank god for insurance. Any suggestions on where to rent a 720p deck in Australia in the meantime? I have some footage of a concert I did for free but I don't want to spend $300+ to capture footage of a concert I shot for free.
Will Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:33 PM   #84
Major Player

Will,
Maybe others can help as I don't have a 720p camera. I'm pretty sure most sony 1080i HDV cameras will also playback 720p footage, but I don't think it will output them through firewire (according to the manuals) - only composite/s-video as SD. Might be worth trying if you can get your hands on a sony HDV, but I don't like your chances.

Like I say, maybe others can help..
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #85
New Boot

What I didn't know about AC

I had a little JY-HD10, Was working great (you can see a clip made with it here: www.sighter.com) BlackEnd...

When I finished that shoot I went on a location to start capturing the shoot on a little iMac (the new one). When I aproach the Firewire Cable to my external HD I got this powerfull sparcks!! with smoke and everything coming out of the external HD.... (The cam busted. Would cost more to repair than what it cost)

later I learned that any electronical equipement you have to link together HAS to be on the same Wall AC outlet.. The tech at my service repair told me that even if the outlets are in the same room it doesnt mean that they are on the exact same phase and if you get to link equipement via Firewire it is extremely risky to do so if they are not connected on the same wall outlet.

If someone outthere have a more technical approach to explain this come forward, I just learned that and maybe I am not explaining it perfectly with my "Quebec" accent... hehe

Maybe a lot of you outthere already knew that but this is for those like me who didn't...

-Sighter
Bruno DesRosiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #86
Contributor

Too bad people are still learning this the hard way. I know somebody who fried several firewire hard drives in the early days because he believed them when they said they were hot-swappable. I came from the old "scssi" Avid days and learned then to always power down things before unplugging, so I've avoided this problem. Manufacturers should put something in the manuals that says to power down first, I think.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #87
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver View Post
The hardware can handle it. Follow the instructions. Don't hotswap. If JVC tells you don't do it, and then you do it and you break it, now who's fault is that?

If it gets your goose that much, then buy a 6pin to 6pin that doesn't pass power.
It's JVC's fault. Telling someone not to hotswap is not enough. It's another in a long line of examples of cameras manufacturers that don't care enough to actually try their gear before mass release.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 02:31 AM   #88
Regular Crew

Question for the techies.

Call me paranoid, but it's ok, I am.

Is there any advantage to be gained from using and isolator on BOTH ends of the equation? i.e. isolator into cam, into firewirecable ,into isolator, into computer.

And what about the ferrous core magnets attached to the firewire cable. The manual wants them as close to the inputs as possible.
Damon Mentzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 04:57 AM   #89
Major Player

It just dawned on my that Sony's betacam sp PVW video decks will blow a fuse if the unit is powered up and one plugs the remote TBC unit either in or unplugs it. So I guess the firewire issue actually has precedence in earlier video decks.

So I take back my prior sentiment almost completely.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:10 PM   #90
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Mentzer View Post
Call me paranoid, but it's ok, I am.

Is there any advantage to be gained from using and isolator on BOTH ends of the equation? i.e. isolator into cam, into firewirecable ,into isolator, into computer.
There is no advantage - once the power is isolated it is isolated. I would advise turning off the power regardless.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems