ALERT: Power OFF before changing Firewire or switching HDV/DV - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:06 PM   #91
Regular Crew

Thanks John!

Then what about the ferrous core magnets. Should the isolator go at the computer end or camera, or is there any difference?

There is already a large sign posted (by me) at the editing desk...."POWER DOWN DUMBA**" I need these kind of reminders or I get sloppy.
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #92
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Mentzer View Post
Thanks John!

Then what about the ferrous core magnets. Should the isolator go at the computer end or camera, or is there any difference?

There is already a large sign posted (by me) at the editing desk...."POWER DOWN DUMBA**" I need these kind of reminders or I get sloppy.
I have firewire cables with and without the magnets. The magnets that came with the JVC Camera seemed particularly pointless as they weren't wide enough to loop the cable through - if you can't loop the cable then they won't work. The cables that came with magnets have them at both ends.

Run off battery and use a decent surge protector /power filter on all your PC and hifi gear. Use your isolator and follow the protocol (the idea of the isolator is actually to give you hot swap capability but I wouldn't risk it). That should keep everything clean and safe.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #93

All the firewire cables I've seen have magnetic suppressors at both ends. The point of the magnets is NOT to suppress shorts, but, rather to suppress RF interference. They won't do squat to save your firewire bus from a short.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #94
Regular Crew

Ahhh thanks John, I thought I was having a bad day when I tried looping the cords through tiny core's

Ive got a couple of firewirecords without magnets (unless they are built into the flat housing) so Ill go to my Bundles n More guy and get some good ones. Still gotta find one of these isolators, two if one for my laptop as well....
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:57 PM   #95
Major Player

We just blew the port on our GY-HD100 with a Firestore. With these units, we are plugging and unplugging constantly. The operator may not have noticed the camera was on. I just have no idea.

Is there a cable M/M out there without the voltage pin active? Would that work. The port isolators here look like M/F adaptors.
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #96
Trustee

o.k., I think I may have blown one of my ports. One of my GY-HD 100's doesnt connect via Firewire anymore. How much is the fix?

Randy
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #97
Regular Crew

$1995 , I paid $1395 couple weeks ago after the discount .good luck
S. Abdul Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #98
Trustee

$2,000!!!??? are you kidding me? Well I guess im using tape. I cant pay that. I was going to get a on board HD but not now. Thanks.
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #99
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Randy Johnson;802612]$2,000!!!??? are you kidding me?

the same thing i said until i got the discount .
S. Abdul Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #100
Trustee

Im not worried about my home system, I planned on getting the Firestores next year. Im more worried about blowing the port in field. If got that cable would that eliminate the poetential for that problem? I can get a 4 pin Firewire card for my home editing system too if it will help. So this is from the power in the computer? or the camera? or both?
Old January 8th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #101
Inner Circle

I haven't blown my report, but I'm getting paranoid that I might!

What does it take to caputer through component? a 500 dollar card? If so, and if I blow mine, I can't see paying $2,000 for a repair. The camera is barely worth that.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #102
Trustee

Sorry if this has been menotined. I called Firestore and they told me that the FS-4 has 2 Firewire ports 1 for shooting and 1 for File transfer. The 1 for shooting even though it is a 6 pin does not carry power. I dont know if this helps our situation or not.

Randy
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #103
New Boot

Dealer recommended a spark arrestor

I'm considering the purchase of a GY-HD200U, and my rep mentioned the fried firewire issue. He recommends using a Kramer PT-1FW spark arrestor. I'll probably velcro the thing to my Firestore. http://www.fullcompass.com/product/316180.html

No, this isn't an ad for Full Compass, I'm just buying the unit from them.

While we're talking about the 200, I'm really hoping you guys can answer some questions:
1. I like what I'm reading about the HD200, it sounds like a good unit. However, I need to know if it can be tweaked to closely match a Panasonic AG-DV200p about 3-4 times a year.

2. I edit with Xpress Pro, and Avid tells me it'll accept 720p/60 from the HD200, but I can't find the camera on their list of approved devices. I read on a forum that the camera must be connected to the host firewire port instead of the Mojo during capture, but can anyone out there confirm success in getting Xpress Pro to communicate with the GY-HD200U? Were you able to batch-capture? Any tips, tricks, or warnings for me?

3. Lastly, has anyone tried putting the HD200 on a Manfrotto Fig Rig? Was it worth the expense?

Looking forward to your input.

thanks.

tim
Tim J. Matteson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #104
Regular Crew

I just learned my lesson. I apparently blew the firewire port on my Sony FX-1. I was using this camera as a deck (besides filming a lot with it) and constantly unplugging and plugging it into firewire ports on two different computers to capture. Any way to fix it for a reasonable price, or do I just have to send it to Sony and see what ridiculous price they quote me? I can probably just buy a new camera for whatever they will end up quoting me.... sigh
Jim Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #105
Major Player

Just a note about the Kramer PT-1FW.

I got bought one from B&H and tested it with HDV signals. I shot at both HDV 30P and 24P and everything seemed to work fine. The footage looked and I didn't see any dropouts or new noise.

I only shot about 2 minutes of my cat, but it does seem to have passed the signal normally.

Okay, I do have to admit that I had a bit of a panic meltdown, when after I changed the scene file to 24p and the camera rebooted with drive still on, it wouldn't record to the drive anymore. I thought for sure that I'd blown the port. After much hand wringing I realized the 1394 trigger mode was never set in the new scene file.
Reid Bailey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems