Best tape stock for A1/G1 HDV Camcorders - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old November 7th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Evans
Yes I was informed some time ago the Sony tapes are actually dry lube these days.

I have been using my Leftover Pana MQs.
What!? Sony owes me big time...
If Johnny Cockeran wasnt dead..............i'd be a millionare.
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #32
Contributor

Tape stock

I'm wondering what kind of tape people who have the H1 and those who have been using their new A1s are using. Is anybody using the pricey HDV stock, or just plain vanilla DV tape?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 03:31 AM   #33
Major Player

bill, the tape mechanisms are supposedly better in made-for-hdv tapes, so it may be worth shooting critical footage on them, but i've been using inexpensive panny pq stock i had left over and i haven't experienced a dropout yet. i've been satisfied with how the pq's have held up, and i recently ordered more of them.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 05:42 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Bill, Im in the same boat as Henry. Using basically the Japanese version and no issues at all. I did use the initial HDV I got with the cam, no difference.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #35
Major Player

I'm honestly beginning to thing these HDV tapes are all a marketing ploy to get uninformed users to spend more money. For all we know it's the same chemical makeup and thickness as regular tape, only says "HDV" on it and costs $10 more.....
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #36
Contributor

Don't forget the nicer packaging.
Old November 17th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Who knows how much extra it costs to put that extra "H" on there. Come-on, support your local tape manufacturer!

Seriously, the cheap ones have always worked just fine for me.

Mike
Old November 17th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #38
Contributor

Our tape supplier has Panasonic Advanced Master Quality minis for $9.08. The Sony mini DVCAM equivalent is 3-4 dollars more. The Panasonic PQ minis are only around 4 bucks. Seems to me Panasonic tape is the best deal, whether PQ or AMQ.
Old November 17th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Stick with the MQs Bill. Once you decide it usually best to stick with one only and not swap and change.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Which Tape?

Hello

Just purchased the HX-A1, and it came with a Canon HDVM-E63PR tape....which is very nice of them....but I was wondering whether I would be ok using a more reasonably priced tape? These retail at about £14....in UK. I haven't taped anything yet....just in case I'm advised of a better deal.....or am I being way too cautious regarding using a type of tape I might not use again?
I've been using the JVC M-DV60DE with my XM2, and have about 10 left. I intend to use my XM2 as a backup cam.

Does anyone have any advise on a reasonably priced tape I can buy in bulk (50-100 units), and where to buy....
thanks in advance.
Will Aldersley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Aldersley
Hello

Just purchased the HX-A1, and it came with a Canon HDVM-E63PR tape....which is very nice of them....but I was wondering whether I would be ok using a more reasonably priced tape? These retail at about £14....in UK. I haven't taped anything yet....just in case I'm advised of a better deal.....or am I being way too cautious regarding using a type of tape I might not use again?
I've been using the JVC M-DV60DE with my XM2, and have about 10 left. I intend to use my XM2 as a backup cam.

Does anyone have any advise on a reasonably priced tape I can buy in bulk (50-100 units), and where to buy....
thanks in advance.
Please go to our "Long Black Line" forum, which is dedicated to tape issues. There are many posts there you can read.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Mike
Old December 27th, 2006, 09:50 AM   #42
Regular Crew

XH A1; which tape?

Hello

Just purchased the XH A1, and it came with a Canon HDVM-E63PR tape....which is very nice of them....but I was wondering whether I would be ok using a more reasonably priced tape? These retail at about £14-£16 ($30)....in UK. I haven't taped anything yet....just in case I'm advised of a better deal.....or,am I being way too cautious regards using a type of tape (Canon) that I might not use again? I realise you need to stick to one brand....so would using the canon limit me to ALWAYS using Canon??

thanks in advance.
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #43
Regular Crew

I bought the Panasonic AMQ tapes for my Canon XH-A1. I haven't use the Canon tape which came in the box, because everyone is basically saying stick with one brand of tapes and don't mix brands.
Anthony Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 03:22 AM   #44
Regular Crew

So is that the general consensus, don't even use one "off" brand? I can't justify spending + £14 per tape to myself nevermind my clients . I'm going to have to order me some mid-range tapes and stick to them then... *sigh*

Panasonic AMQ you say? Does anyone else have a suggestion?
Old December 28th, 2006, 04:20 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Sony

I have been using the sony HDV tapes, 10$ from B & H, I have also been using sony premium tapes (about 5$), no drop outs yet....but once you go with a particular tape, stick with that brand, camcorder heads get used to the chemicals from each specific manufacture. If you always use a different brand you may destroy your heads quicker then if you just stick with one brand.

*e
Eric Dyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line