Best tape stock for A1/G1 HDV Camcorders - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 15th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #121
Major Player

Any updates from folk with XH-A1 and what tape you recommend?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #122
Regular Crew

I use Sony DVM63HD never had a problem, I used the cannon that came with the camera then just changed over I'm sure one tape aint going to matter

Russ
Russell Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 01:15 AM   #123
Regular Crew

Will hello, I bought 15 Sony HD mini dv tapes for £70.70 and a Sony head cleaning tape for £6.35 on ebay these prices include postage from japan.
This means that the individual price for HD tape is £4.71 very reasonable I think. Where abouts in manchester do you live PM me if you like.
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 11:48 AM   #124
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Sobel View Post
Any updates from folk with XH-A1 and what tape you recommend?
I've used the Sony line up, and will shoot the Premium series for my own work, but if it's for a customer, I will not take a chance and use the Sony Digital Master.
DM has been the most reliable in terms of not having much drop-outs, but the cost is too extreme to use for everything I do. So I save its use for customers' work.

Last edited by Steve Wolla; October 21st, 2007 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 05:33 PM   #125
Major Player

I have used Panasonic MQs exclusively in my XLH1, HV20 and A1...

I have never had a single dropout in dozens of tapes... not one, ever.

Highly recommend these Panny MQs for HDV recording, highly reliable plus you save big bucks over HDV branded tapes.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 05:49 PM   #126
Major Player

If I'm not mistaken, the MQ series has been discontinued, but there's a new line introduced as well now. AY-DVM63SQ.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 04:44 AM   #127
Regular Crew

I've been using the Sony Premiums with the A1, and I'd say I've been averaging 1 dropout per tape. It isn't a big deal since I do narrative and I always have more than one take to choose from, but someone who does event videography should definitely take that into consideration. If there's a tape in the same price range that has fewer dropouts I'll switch to it, but otherwise I'll just keep dealing with the intermittent dropouts.
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #128
Major Player

Tape for XH-A1

I'm interested in hearing from owners/users of the XH-A1 as to the relative merits and opinions on the following tapes:

Sony DVM-63HD
Sony PHDVM-63DM
Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #129
Obstreperous Rex

I've just merged together about a dozen separate discussions of tape brands for the Canon XH series; this will serve as the "master discussion thread" for such a frequently discussed topic.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #130
Major Player

I'm watching this with interest as well. I'm new to A-1 and the Sony DVM63HD were recommended to me....that's what I'm trying out.
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #131
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Sobel View Post
I'm interested in hearing from owners/users of the XH-A1 as to the relative merits and opinions on the following tapes:

Sony DVM-63HD
Sony PHDVM-63DM
Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ

A dozen of Sony DVM-63HD's so far, never had a problem. Also used the Canon tape that came with my A1.
What about the durability of these Sony's? Some of my 5, 6, 7 yrs old Panasonic Pro tapes are heavily damaged - despite of using them only once, storing them dry'n'dark, rewinding/fast-forwarding them once every year.
Christopher Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #132
Regular Crew

Sony DVM63HD for me aswell shot about 30 tapes never had a prob also used the origianal cannon tape

Russ
Russell Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #133
Contributor

I have been using the Panasonic AMQ tapes and never had a problem at all--until one batch.

A few months ago I did a week shoot with my camera, and the other guy also had an XH A1. It was his production and he bought 15 or 20 tapes for both of us to use. He sat on the footage for months and just started loading it a couple of weeks ago... only to discover that 3 of the tapes had big dropouts, including one from my camera.

None of my tapes has had a problem, either ones I bought before or since that shoot, but now I'm a bit nervous about the AMQs. The shoot was in normal conditions, no excessive dust or humidity or anything strange.

From what I've read most people seem to be using the AMQs and have reported little or no problems. I was a big promoter of them until this problem happend. If it had been one of the cameras, I probably would have said dirty heads. But it happened to tapes in both cameras. All the tapes were from the same box.

Now I'm a bit nervous about these tapes, and I think I will switch to the Sony PHDVM, even though they cost twice as much.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #134
New Boot

A1 tape stock

I went with the Canon E63PR and after testing it against the sony, found that it provided better image sharpness. Color is accurate and no drop out so far. Also working great on my current tests to re-record on same tape.
Michael Buonopane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #135
Major Player

I've taken to using the Sony Digital Master tapes for those occasions when I am shooting for a client. It's been very reliable thus far, however I have only shot about 20 tapes so far.
I think it helps to give yourself that extra (potentially anyways) edge in reliability (freedom from drop-outs). No tape line will ever be drop-out free, there will always be the occasional manufacturing flaw. However, the Sony DM is supposedly made to a higher quality standard so these occurrances should be less over time.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line