Best tape stock for A1/G1 HDV Camcorders - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old March 7th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #76
New Boot

What tape brand for A1

Hey crew - just bought a new A1 to get into small-scale film production with a partner... she's from a photography background, I'm from a music/writing background, so this is a bit of a direction change for both of us, and it's going to be an interesting experience.

Key question - I've read that it's a good idea to stick to one tape brand because the heads get "used" to the chemical make-up or some other atttribute of one brand of tape. Is that valid thinking, or fantasy?

If so, what brand are people recommending - I don't have the choice here that some of you guys have, but certainly Sony and Cannon are no problem.
thanks, Ian
Ian Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #77
New Boot

Do some searching of just the A1 forum. There have been lots of helpful posts to the tape stock for the A1. I had the same question, and those threads helped me out greatly......
Just to get you started.....

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...ight=Panasonic
Ryan Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #78
Major Player

I personally use Sony Excellence, due to many years of good experience using Sony. But many use and like the Panansonic tapes too.

Video performance and reliability will be roughly equal, so consider going with which one you have the best access to. That may be important some day when you need to buy two more tapes on a Sunday....sometimes those situations come up.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #79
Regular Crew

I don't know how (and where) you succeeded in sourcing tapes other than the Sony Digital HD Video Tapes (the ones with the maroon colouring --- DVM63). It's virtually impossible to get anything else here in Johannesburg. No-one around seems to have ever heard of the Panasonic tapes other people are raving about here. So I'm basically stuck with these, just to make my life a bit easier in respect of supply!
If you discover a reliable source for Canon or even the Panasonic tapes, please let me know.
Carl Mischke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #80
Regular Crew

Switching from AY-DVM63PQ to AY-DVM63AMQ

I've used a batch of AY-DVM63PQ tapes (about a dozen in all) in a brand new Canon XH-A1 and now wish to switch to AY-DVM63AMQ tapes after reading rave reviews about their performance.

Would it be prudent to run a Panasonic tape head cleaner through my new A1?

Would it be sufficient to run a AY-DVM63AMQ through the A1 prior to filming in HDV mode?

Please note I didn't use the free 'Canon' HDV tape supplied with the camera. The camera has only ever recorded to about a dozen AY-DVM63AMQ tapes.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts, concerns or issues you may have with me switching from AY-DVM63PQ to AY-DVM63AMQ tapes.

TIA
Neil
Neil McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #81
Major Player

I don't think it's going to be a problem if you're staying with a particular manufacturers tape, no matter if it's from Panny's PQ to AMQ.

Also, I've always heard it doesn't matter which manufacturers head cleaner you use as long as you stick to the trusted name brands.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #82
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
I don't think it's going to be a problem if you're staying with a particular manufacturers tape, no matter if it's from Panny's PQ to AMQ.

Also, I've always heard it doesn't matter which manufacturers head cleaner you use as long as you stick to the trusted name brands.

Bill
Thanks for that Bill.

What I think I'll do regardless is record 60 minutes or so onto a AY-DVM63AMQ prior to actually filming the event.
Neil McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #83
Major Player

Tape brands

Hi!
Just bought my brand new A1!
Do you guys use any tape brand or are there brands that are better or even damaging to the A1? I've heard generally some tapes can clog the video head (some people always use the same brand as the camera).
What are your experiences?
I found no old thread about this, but if you know one please help me find it.
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #84
Regular Crew

Hi Urban,

Congratulations with your new beauty.
I myself use the JVC ProHD63ME and Sony DVM63 and 85 tapes.
Most of the time I use the JVC tape and when I switch I run my cleaning tape for 10 seconds.

This afternoon I send an email to a Dutch Magazine, asking them if they were willing to test all the new DV and HDV tapes and then write about it in the magazine ofcourse.

In the past someone did. He could use a professional lab from Sony to test all the tapes. I'm hoping they are willing to do a real test in the near future and bring some results.

Good luck with your beauty,

Gert
Old June 15th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #85
Major Player

I use the panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ for HDV/DV and they have been great so far. Not the cheapest however.

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #86
Major Player

An electronics repairman once told me never to run a cleaning tape in a camera, because "they work like sandpaper". Instead he recommended to clean the video head with other tools (which I wont' tell, because I'm not sure enough what it was or how to use them). So I'm quite cautious about using cleaning tapes! :) But that was off-topic.
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #87
Tourist

Hello Urban,

This post should help you out : http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ighlight=tapes

Especially #12 by Mike, he describes it pretty well.

You should never use "other tools" to clean your camera. The possibility to mess it up is huge. A cleaning tape is made to clean the heads, not mess them up.

Any way check out the above thread, I think you will find the answers to your ?'s.

Scooter
Scooter Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #88
Major Player

Funny how there is so much mis-information out there.

I have two Sony HDR-FX1's and started by using Sony Premium tapes but have since moved to the Panasonic "professional quality" AY-DVM63PQ 63 Minute tapes and can say that the price/quality seems to be the way to go. I've not had any dropouts (never have anyway). I've probably put about 20 hours or so on each camera and have never run the cleaning tape through so now may be the time to do it.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #89
Contributor

Re: cleaning tapes. Sony's service center one time recommended that I use the cleaning tape every 50 hours for 5 seconds just for regular maintenance. I always did that and got the full estimated head life, sometimes more. Overuse of head cleaning tapes is not good, but proper use is.

Re: tapes. I switched to the Panasonic AMQ tapes for the XH A1. Haven't seen a dropout yet. They were recommended to me by a Canon dealer in Portland (who's a sponsor here-Zotz Digital). He's sold lots of Canon HDV cameras to wildlife photographers out there, and said most everybody he sells to is using the AMQ tapes successfully. Two other friends of mine here are using them in their XH A1s and so far no problems.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #90
Major Player

I got JVC M-DV63PROHD tapes after they were reccomended to me by one of the Canon guys at Videoforum 2007. Haven't seen them mentioned much on this forum but they were half the price of the Sony tapes and have served me well so far.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line