Best tape stock for A1/G1 HDV Camcorders - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:44 AM   #61
Inner Circle

From my experience, the Sony tapes have definitely the highest performance/price ratio, at least with their price in Poland. On the other hand, I've never even seen Canon miniDV tapes being offered, so to me the choice is obvious.

Even if you're right that using a cleaning casette is not necessary after just one Canon tape, what do you thik I should buy for future use (provided I'll be using Sony tapes exclusively): the Canon, or Sony cleaning tape?
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:57 AM   #62
Major Player

I've always used the Sony cleaners in all my previous cams (Sony, JVC, Canon) and I plan to use them in the A1. I used to use the Sony Excellence tapes on my VX2100 and XL1s, and I started getting a few dropouts every 3 or 4 tapes, so now with the new A1 I'm trying the Panasonic Advanced Master Quality which are about $1 cheaper than the Sonys and from what I've heard on DVI people are having pretty good luck with them.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:17 AM   #63
Major Player

As a side note: I think the Canon tape is a re-labeled Sony tape. The Sony tapes that I use have a small grid pattern on the case. The other brands that I have used and seen have a different case design, pattern, or window placement. The Canon tape that came with my A1 has the same case as a Sony.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:21 AM   #64
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Coleman
As a side note: I think the Canon tape is a re-labeled Sony tape. The Sony tapes that I use have a small grid pattern on the case. The other brands that I have used and seen have a different case design, pattern, or window placement. The Canon tape that came with my A1 has the same case as a Sony.
Can anybody confirm this is actually true? Would be nice to know I'm actually NOT changing brands (same lubricants etc).

I read in another thread that Sony sells wet tapes, JVC, Panasonic, TDK sell dry tapes. In the A1 manual, it's said that a DRY cleaning tape must be used - does it mean that also the Canon recording tapes are of the dry type? If so, this would contradict the claim that the Canon miniDV is actually a Sony-made tape, or can be freely mixed with Sony tapes..

Where is the truth? Is the Sony cleaning tape also dry?

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; February 3rd, 2007 at 04:32 PM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 03:49 PM   #65
Contributor

The Canon HDV tape is in a case very similar to the Sony HDV tapes. It's got to be either Sony or Fuji. Panasonic doesn't seem to make those kinds of cases. Even so, I'd run the cleaning tape before switching.

I've used Sony DVCAM tapes in DVCAM cameras for about 7 years with no trouble at all. However, I switched to the Panasonic AMQ (Advanced Master Quality) for the XH A1. I know lots of people using that tape with no problems, and the guy at Zotz said that's what most of his XL H1 customers have been using. Significantly cheaper than the Sony HDV tapes, but you don't get the DVCAM type case.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:17 PM   #66
Regular Crew

Sony DigitalMaster Tapes and A1

Sony's site lists the new digitalmaster hdv tapes (PHDV-276DM) supported recording formats as 1080i and 720p. My question is this, do you guys think there could be a problem using these with 24f mode on the canon A1? I know canon's 24f is created by some sort of 1080i signal, but isn't the the final compressed product true progressive data? So wouldn't that be 1080p data? Has anybody tried these w/ their A1?
Cal Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #67
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki
From my experience, the Sony tapes have definitely the highest performance/price ratio, at least with their price in Poland. On the other hand, I've never even seen Canon miniDV tapes being offered, so to me the choice is obvious.

Even if you're right that using a cleaning casette is not necessary after just one Canon tape, what do you thik I should buy for future use (provided I'll be using Sony tapes exclusively): the Canon, or Sony cleaning tape?

I would get the Sony, because that is my personal bias in tape stock. However, I am sure the Canon cleaner is as good as the Sony. I hve used both with good results. They will both do the job.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #68
Inner Circle

You may use a MiniDV tape or an HDV tape in the Canon XH A1 or XH G1 or XL H1.

All modes of the camera, including 24f, are supported by any tape that is proper for the camera.

Specifically, yes, these tapes will work in your camera for all camera modes.
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #69
New Boot

Dry Lube Tapes

The only tape that I absolutely know for sure that uses a "dry" lubricant is the Panasonic AY-DVM63MQ (Master Quality). 4 years ago I paid $7 each from a tape supply company, now I can buy these for $4 each from Amazon. I buy them 50 at a time, but the price is the same for 5. I get them within 3 days of ordering so it doesn't take a lot of planning ahead.
It is the ONLY tape I have ever used in my DVX100.
The film school I attended used consumer quality Sony tapes and I had several drop out and digital noise problems in the first 30 seconds of these tapes on their cameras.
Why would I pay $4 each for an inferior tape just because I can pick them up at Wal-Mart when by planning ahead I can get the best tape on the planet for the same price? Just My opinion.
P.S. Another reason for my buying 50 at a time is that I supply 3 or 4 of my friends that don't seem to plan ahead. :-)
Edward Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #70
Contributor

The AMQ (Advance Master Quality) tapes are now around $8.00 (USD) at most places. That's what I've been using.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #71
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Randolph
The film school I attended used consumer quality Sony tapes and I had several drop out and digital noise problems in the first 30 seconds of these tapes on their cameras.
Regardless which tape I use, since the mid to late 80's, I have always run roughly 1 min. of bars on every tape to get passed the portion that's affected by the take up reel/leader that can create imperfections on the surface of the tape.

I'm not saying it's fool proof & that you can use consumer grade tape using this method. It's just if there was any spot on any tape that can be more prone to dropouts, etc., it's near the head & tail.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #72
Regular Crew

cleaning tape recommendation?

Any suggestions on a good cleaning tape to use?
Richard Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #73
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kane
Any suggestions on a good cleaning tape to use?
When I sent my old XM1 to Canon service for repairs, they sent it back with a head cleaning tape. The piece of card in the plastic box said "Canon" but the tape itself was identical to a Panasonic cleaning tape that I'd bought 6 months before.
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #74
Regular Crew

I also use Sony MiniDV Head Cleaner cassette. I used the same with my previous cams and the results were very good. No need to buy more expensive types imo.

As far as media is concerned, I'm still running on Sony MiniDV 63min. tapes and I will in the future. They work perfectly with XH A1. No dropouts so far and very few with previous cams. I think those rare problems were in most cases caused by dust particles, not by tape imperfections. I don't think there is any significant difference in manufacturing process of MiniDV and HDV tapes. Their density does not have to be higher for HDV because it still works with similar bitrate (around 25mbps).
Bogdan Tyburczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #75
Regular Crew

I'm using Panasonic AMQ tapes for the Canon A1.
Anthony Leong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line