Nikon D90 has 720p24 over HDMI - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old September 10th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #211
Major Player

I know some of you are already wondering what comes after the D90.
I just found out.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...0groupview.jpg
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #212
New Boot

Here you guys go:

Understanding and Optimizing the Nikon D90 D-Movie Mode Image

My experiences summed up since last Friday when I got the d90.

and here: Nikon D90 footage on Vimeo

For footage

Feel free to ask questions.
Kholi Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #213
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Griffin View Post
I know some of you are already wondering what comes after the D90.
I just found out.
Isn't that the loading option of an F-16 Falcon? Which two would one need over enemy territory? That giant white one is very impressive. What's that for, long range drop tank or moon shots?
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #214
Trustee

Wow, great work. Thanks for the effort.
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #215
Inner Circle

Excellent movie clips. Your work reassures me that this movie mode will deliver stunning footage with even the cheapest lens.

What was the specific size and length of the movies? We're still curious about data rates, although MJPEG will vary some according to the material. DV at 25 MBps was the standard for years, but I'm curious how well lower data rates fare on HD material.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #216
Regular Crew

new D90 footage

Wow! There is a new clip on Vimeo that's pretty impressive for the D90. Someone shot side-by-side footage with the D90 and a HVX200.
I was blown away. Take a look for yourselves:

D90 and HVX side-by-side test on Vimeo

I'm sold. (though the rolling shutter is still an issue)
Joel Endicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #217
Major Player

i went to ritz camera / wolf camera today to test out the d90. i only got to use it for 20 minutes or so but i shot some video to my sd card. i thought it might be useful to trade up from my d50 to a d90 and use the d90 when shooting things that call for larger format.

overall i wasnt as impressed as i had hoped. yes it takes videos from nearly the full frame but there are probably too many dealbreakers to really make it worthwhile for anything besides a novelty. the compression is bad, the latitude is bad, control is bad, rolling shutter is bad. heres how bad:

-compression is very noticeable with quantization blocks visible and plenty of mosquito noise, but what would you expect from <16mbps MJPEG.

-latitude looks nothing like shooting stills. blacks are noisy with plenty of color noise (at least what i shot in the store i was in) and white clips pretty quickly and dont look particularly pleasing... perhaps this can be adjusted in the settings? most of the image settings i tried didnt seem to affect the live view/video image but i didnt have time to go too deep.

-control is about as bad as it can be, which is to say its like shooting videos on most stilll cameras that arent made for video. with the kit lens shutter and aperture settings do not seem to affect video recordings, and auto exposure is always on unless you are holding down the autoexposure lock button. through a combination of buttons you can lighten or darken your video but its very non-technical and not labeled well, although setting the autoexposure compensation level does work in 1/3 stops or whatever. no options for video, just sound/no sound and video resolution. it wasnt clear to me how the autoexposure was arriving at the exposure since my shutter and aperture and iso settings didnt seem to do much, but when i was shooting the shutter looked to be basically off aka 1/24th sec. looked like some of the vimeo posts of the d90 though seemed to have faster shutter speeds so i guess that is not always the case.

-rolling shutter under the conditions i was using the camera were what i would judge to be as bad as they could possibly be. looks like the sensor readout is equal to the framerate which is not that unusual for sensors that are just made for seeing (machine vision, webcam, security cam) as opposed to creating images, anyway doesnt look like nikon went to any trouble to reduce artifacting due to rolling shutter, they just let it be. if youve ever used live mode on a dslr, this video mode is just that only recording the live view to compressed video on your memory card.

truthfully the stuff i shot looks worse than some of the stuff ive seen online, but not by much and that might because vimeo etc obscure the image quality issues of the video. took me a few minutes to figure out how to lock exposure. its a bit of a pain since none of the shooting parameters seem to affect the video, so you cant really control shutter speed although i imagine using the right manual lens you can force the aperture.

i was hoping to be pleasantly surprised with this video feature, but unfortunately i was a bit disappointed. oh well. if you can show me im wrong please do since id love to be excited about this thing but after this im really not. i might still use it over a 35mm lens adapter though, but that doesnt say much since im not that into those either after some experience with them. at least the d90 produces somewhat pleasing bokeh and has good edge to edge focus, although i wouldnt consider either appropriate for any kind of HD delivery from what ive seen.

im not totally caught up on this whole thread so sorry if i repeated anything old but just thought id share my experience.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #218
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Endicott View Post
Wow! There is a new clip on Vimeo that's pretty impressive for the D90. Someone shot side-by-side footage with the D90 and a HVX200.
I was blown away. Take a look for yourselves:

D90 and HVX side-by-side test on Vimeo

I'm sold. (though the rolling shutter is still an issue)
Thanks for that link. Great side-by-side comparison. The rolling shutter is present on every CMOS camcorder as well, and just how much worse, if any, remains to be seen.

All Nikon has to do is allow for plug-in USB audio devices. I'd like to see an XLR interface.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #219
Major Player

after the d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hodson View Post
Isn't that the loading option of an F-16 Falcon? Which two would one need over enemy territory? That giant white one is very impressive. What's that for, long range drop tank or moon shots?
I think its for the solar system beyond ours.

Seriously though, I think Nikon must realise improvement is neccessary, why else would they introduce this concept in the 1000 euro body.
It makes financial sense that they are going to strive to get D-Movie up to the neccessary standard for us to be able to see the difference between a $4000 lens and a $300 lens in the results.
They are not there yet and when they get there it will be in the top of the range body, for sure.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #220
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cook View Post
Nikon D90 Hands-on Preview: 2. Specifications: Digital Photography Review

Im holding my breath with anticipation at the potential. Aparently it has a 5 minute max shoot cut off but thats still very good.

Sure there will be a million other gotcha's, especially with the motion jpeg codec they have choosen to go with (cough..stone age...cough).

But definately a great sign of things to come.
Hey - that 5 minute max shoot cut-off isn't that different from an 8 minute max shoot cut-off with 16mm film...
Old September 12th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #221
Trustee

Here痴 the watch.Impress review.

Original Japanese:
【実写速報】ニコン「D90」

English Translated:
<Photograph taken on the spot bulletin>Nikon D90

I was expecting them to show more video samples but at least we池e getting new samples being posted daily on Vimeo.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #222
Trustee

How are managing to get your D90 in two days time? The next batch is not due in until early next week. Hopefully I will also have one then.
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 04:28 AM   #223
Trustee

i thought they werent out in uk till 22nd?

ordered mine from B and H in NY
Old September 12th, 2008, 04:30 AM   #224
Trustee

I assumed you were getting yours direct from Nikon. You are right the UK stock is not due in until the 22-23
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #225
Regular Crew

What the D-90 will do with nice lenses in low light.

I found this on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV3LbWSdESs&fmt=18

the guy who uupload it tell me its a 200mmf2 ($4000us)
did not tell me if its with stabilisator.
Martin Labelle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video