Nikon D90 has 720p24 over HDMI - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old September 16th, 2008, 02:28 AM   #271
Trustee

Just as a thought. I don't see the D90 as a replacement to a video camcorder, it is however a useful camera to have for the odd drop in shot here and there, especially if you need to use wide angle lenses. Fortunately I didn't sell my collection of older style Nikkor lenses (18 lenses ranging from 20mm through to 500mm Reflex Nikkor). These will now all have a second life.

I can see the potential for the D90, although two years down the line I am sure we will have something more spectacular.

Regarding focusing via Live View, it wouldn't take the genius of a brain surgeon to work out how to attach an inexpensive X8 or X4 loupe to the rear LCD screen guard, something along similar lines to the flip down magnifier on the Sony EX3.
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #272
Inner Circle

My only questions regarding the D90 now concern the HDMI output. I'm looking forward to somebody capturing it and determining:

* How's the picture look without compression? (Are the artifacts that we've seen due to subsampling the sensor, or due to M-JPEG encoding?)
* Can you configure the HDMI output to be 720p (vs. 1080i)? What's the default?
* Can you turn off the graphics overlay? (I believe not.)
* Does the overlay still allow for Cinemascope or similar aspect ratios?

Hopefully, somebody can do an HDMI capture and post some stills...
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #273
Major Player

So this new Panasonic 4/3 camera is in fact going to use AVCHD and shoot progressively.
That's confirmed so far.

Any thoughts on AVCHD vs mjpeg?

Obviously we're talking two different cameras but codec to codec.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #274
Major Player

What I've read so far the pany g1 doesnt yet do video at all - I believe they said something like "next generation" it's coming. I could be wrong but that's what I recall. After Photokina the smoke will clear alittle./k
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #275
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Yep, its a very low bit rate. So this is probably the main culprit, there are a lot of video artifacts
It would be very useful to inspect a short MJPEG file straight from the camera.

Here is another D90 movie:
http://vimeo.com/1709082

Would you folks kindly point out rolling shutter artifacts? I see some at 0:44 on the "Union Station via Street Corridor" blinking sign. Most of the wobble is during the handheld footage. I'm guessing that the jerkiness is made worse by VR in the lens.

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; September 16th, 2008 at 03:54 PM.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #276
Trustee

Hmm.
This may be just the what Nikon needs to get into the video cam market.

If they took their basis of this implementation and worked on it as a platform for their next post D90 model, it could be quite amazing. Also, I imagine a software upgrade could offer better video quality. Also, most important, enable at least full 4:2:2 1920x1080 via HDMI without icon overlays.

The feedback from this forum alone could provide enough infomation for their engineers.

It's appararent that Nikon wanted to take their video mode one step further with the D90. It's to bad that it may only tease us, especially with having the awesome capability of tight DOF, but no way of capturing this image in high quality video!

I can see this concept easily turning upcoming cameras into hybrid Digital SLR / Pro video camera. Bring'em on!
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #277
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
My only questions regarding the D90 now concern the HDMI output. I'm looking forward to somebody capturing it and determining:

* How's the picture look without compression? (Are the artifacts that we've seen due to subsampling the sensor, or due to M-JPEG encoding?)
* Can you configure the HDMI output to be 720p (vs. 1080i)? What's the default?
* Can you turn off the graphics overlay? (I believe not.)
* Does the overlay still allow for Cinemascope or similar aspect ratios?

Hopefully, somebody can do an HDMI capture and post some stills...
I'm convinced everyone who has this camera and a intensity pro (loads of people) all had a little meeting and decided that when people ask about the HDMI output quality, they agreed just to ignore them. Adding to the frustration, some people started roomers of burned overlays and subpar HDMI quality. I feel like Jack's screaming "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #278
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurth Bousman View Post
What I've read so far the pany g1 doesnt yet do video at all - I believe they said something like "next generation" it's coming. I could be wrong but that's what I recall. After Photokina the smoke will clear alittle./k
No, there's a lot more substance to it than that. Basically all the info In my long post is from their site which has a section on the upcoming HD version of the G1 with video clips, and their Japanese site with promo material from a Japanese photo show. I have pictures from show of the HD camera and the 14 -140mm HD lens. There's very specific info out including my quote that it will shoot progressive and auto focus on the fly (from the US site) and that the codec is AVCHD - the logo is right on the back of the LCD. I can also tell you that it has a stereo mic as that is mounted right on top of the camera in another picture from Panasonic Japan.
Old September 16th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #279
Major Player

D90 for SD DVD stuff

what about for final output to sd-dvd.
How would the footage 'fit in' with say a few sd shots from an xha1 or ex1 used in SD mode?
Aside from the mentioned complaints like rolling shutter and general lack of control,
are the arefacts so noticeable that even SD looks bad?
If anyone has tried this - downconverting/downscaling (preferably with a high quality method such as Aftereffects) , mixing/cutting together with other sd footage & burning to DVD could you please give opinions of the results.
Thanks.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #280
Trustee

I would recommend checking out a few of the many clips available. You should be able to formulate your own opinion on what works for you based on what you see in this regard. I have read that vimeo clips can be D/L at full rez, but I can't figure out how, but there should be many shared native D90 clips that you can import into your own projects to check for SD output. If you do please share your opinion.
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #281
Major Player

Hey Ken,

Just sign up, which only required me to fill in my email and a password.
Then when you return to the screen the option to download hi-res appears on the right of the page.
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:26 AM   #282
Trustee

I have been using the D90 for a couple of days now - just getting the feel of the camera. My first gut reaction, based on what I have shot, is that the movie feature is 18 - 24 months too early. Shooting on a bright sunny day here in london (yes, we have finally had some sunshine) it was near impossible to see the LCD viewfinder. I did have a nice reflection of my face though.

The footage is slightly jerky, probably due to shooting at 24p and as noted by others, the exposure has to be locked before shooting, otherwise you have an annoying fluctuation in exposure during the shot. I will post a full review of this camera at some stage this week, will be shooting some more today - just to make sure I am not doing anything wrong.
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 05:07 AM   #283
Regular Crew

I was looking forward to playing with the D90 but now it seems I wont bother. Its a shame but Im sure its only the start of things to come. I mean clearly this overnight revolution has caught the very revolution leaders (aka RED) off guard with their announcement that Scarlet has been scrapped in its current form and is going under the knife for complete re-invention.

Its very interesting times for indies!
Paul Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:10 AM   #284
Major Player

Vincent - will that be happening at your site?
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:07 PM   #285
Trustee

Yes it will be on my site, but I will post a link here as soon as we are ready. At the moment I am producing a DVD user guide for the D90 and am working 25 hours each day
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video