Nikon D90 has 720p24 over HDMI - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old August 28th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Hibner View Post
it's the automatic exposure with electronic lens. it's been official announcement over at dpreview that it has exposure lock so that flicker won't be there on your AI lens.

I think the catch is that the shutter speed can't be locked (manually selected) so the auto exposure will keep shifting as the scene changes or the camera moves.

Wacharapong
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Burns View Post
This camera looks killer. I can imagine making a rig out of this with audio gathered by a Zoom H4 or something like it.

You could put an older Nikon lens on the front and have control over zoom, focus and iris just like we do now with adapters. Looks like my rig might be going into the trash. I needed to upgrade my SLR anyway. Now looks like the perfect time.

Still want to see some raw shots but I don't see how the adapter manufacturers can compete with an SLR that takes video.

If my calculations are correct it will be about

16mbps at MotionJPG 1280x720 24p
13.56 mbits/s

[EDIT: just noticed you have updated with the actual data rate !!]
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Regarding the rolling shutter that people have commented on... was that on shots with the wide angle lens? You might be seeing a fisheye effect as the subject moves between the center and the edge of the lens.
Subject was not moving, worryingly the effect is most prominent when the camera and subject at pretty much still.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 04:01 AM   #49
Regular Crew

My mind is blown. This kicks my HF100's ass. I'm definitely a Canon guy, but I'm selling my 40D asap and preordering this. I understand it isn't 1080p, has an outdated codec at a low bitrate, but honestly, I doubt me or any other person using this camera will need anything more. I can finally carry just one camera around to parties/shoots/gigs/whatever.

Also, the D90 can provide ridiculously high "noise-free" ISOs up to 6400 (compared to about 500 for the red one, roughly 3.5 stops faster)

Btw, Ken Rockwell gets that this is a big deal for filmmakers: Nikon D90
R.P. Cuenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #50
Major Player

Ken is funny. Do like his opinionated (but in a good way) stuff...

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #51
Regular Crew

The bad news is that you have a 5 minute limit on any shot and you have to allow for the sensor to cool.

Quote:
An individual shot can’t be longer than five minutes in hi-def, either, or 20 minutes in standard definition; after that, the sensor heats up too much. So don’t expect to film the school play on this thing.

Worst of all, the autofocus doesn’t work for video. You can autofocus before you start rolling (half-press the shutter button), or you can use the manual-focus ring while filming. But those are kludges; if the distance to the subject changes while you’re filming, moments of blurriness are inevitable.
The New York Times > Log In

Otherwise, it's still a very interesting camera...

Bob Diaz
Bob Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #52
Major Player

1080i ??

CAn I confirm if this is a typo ?? It says 480P. 720P and 1080i on the HDMI output.. Why would someone add just 1 interlaced video mode to progressive still and 2 other video modes ??
CAn it be 1080p sent within 1080i ?? i.e. A signal that needs pulldown to extract 24P ??1080i ??
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #53
Obstreperous Rex

Because 720p and 1080i are equal to each other in bandwidth. Same amount of data either way.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #54
Major Player

I had a quick play with the D90 video mode yesterday, I was very impressed. Auto focussing before filming starts is cool, much like the way we used to use push af on Z1's The screen is bright and clear, but really could do with a tilting option. The lens effects are as good as I get with my Brevis setup. Not sure about the codec, time will tell. I already have an Edirol R-09 audio recorder so I aim to use that for sound. A HDMI field monitor will be the next step.

Also had a chance to play around with it on my Red Rock Micro rig and a Manfrotto modosteady. All good fun. Can't wait to get one.

I did a short video (shot on an EX1) of the camera here YouTube - Nikon d90 launch event
but it doesn't show the video mode as it wasn't been publicly demonstrated.

A word of caution for those hoping to use a flash XDR or similar HDMI capture device, current Nikon's I own (D3, D700 and D300) all push the entire screen with overlays and focus points out on HDMI and can't be turned off. I wouldn't be surprised if the D90 was the same.

The other downside is there does not appear to be LANC or any other video trigger other than the button on the camera back. This could be a real pain in many rigs.

Hope this is of help.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Nikon D90 has 720p24 over HDMI-d90.jpg   Nikon D90 has 720p24 over HDMI-d90-2.jpg  

Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #55
Regular Crew

In video mode, can one set the shutter and iris manually?
Louis Mostert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #56
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
The lens effects are as good as I get with my Brevis setup. Not sure about the codec, time will tell.

I did a short video (shot on an EX1) of the camera here YouTube - Nikon d90 launch event
but it doesn't show the video mode as it wasn't been publicly demonstrated.

The other downside is there does not appear to be LANC or any other video trigger other than the button on the camera back. This could be a real pain in many rigs.
Dan
Thanks for posting your results. I'm getting soft results on my redrock micro M2 with a Sony EX1, either with nikon 28/50/85 f/1.4 lenses. The sides are just too soft. So, given that is the best the EX1 can do, I'm wondering how you would compare the D90 video quality to that of the EX1+RedRock?

As for video trigger, is it possible to use an infrared controller? When the movie mode makes it into higher end cameras, we hope to be able to use remote trigger cords or computer camera control.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #57
Major Player

didnīt I read the d90 has a corded remote ?k
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #58
Major Player

itīs called mc-dc2 - see pg 3 of the dpreview handson-k
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #59
Major Player

The D90 can use this MC-DC2 Remote Cord from Nikon
but it only seems to be a trigger for the shutter button, the video is started using the OK button when in Live View mode, not the main shutter release. Maybe it can be configured in some other way using custom functions but I don't think so.
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #60
Major Player

Here's a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Nikon D90 has 720p24 over HDMI-d90-3.jpg  
Dan Chung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video