What camera would be best for me when it comes to color grading? - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 12th, 2020, 05:30 PM   #106
Inner Circle

Re: What camera would be best for me when it comes to color grading?

I wouldn't say it's easier for the composer, usually it's the other way around, getting good music is a problem for many films without a budget.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2020, 05:32 PM   #107
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, so far it's been easier for me as long as the composer has a good repertoire of instruments in their computer packages, and are good of course.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2020, 12:06 PM   #108
Inner Circle

I think that to be able to create music for video is a pretty tough process. I can assure you the collection of instruments in the computer is but a tiny part of the process.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 02:21 AM   #109
also known as Ryan Wray

Yeah for sure, it's just of all the shortcomings I was told of in my past projects, the composers' music was never one of them that was mentioned, so I thought I had that area probably covered compared to the ones that I was told to work on.
Old February 14th, 2020, 06:46 AM   #110
Inner Circle

The music requirements can vary from film to film, so you need to ensure that the music composer can fulfill the needs of the film you are making. .
Old February 14th, 2020, 11:47 AM   #111
also known as Ryan Wray

Yep for sure. For this one new one I was thinking of hiring someone different, but then again, I already have a good working relationship with the other composer I worked with a few times so far. So I am wondering should I stick to the one I have a good relationship with, or try someone new... Pros and cons to each. What I could do is listen to samples of new composers and then decide.
Old February 15th, 2020, 03:16 PM   #112
Inner Circle

Here's a couple of things we've done over the past year or two. Visuals and the music from us.
Old February 15th, 2020, 04:23 PM   #113
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks. The first video wouldn't play but the second one did. Very good. Did you use a helicopter or drone for that shot? I also was thinking of shooting a feature in black and white, but thought maybe it's too risky, when trying to attract an audience. When it comes to music, what is the bass brass instrument in the video?
Old February 16th, 2020, 12:53 AM   #114
Inner Circle

It one of the low brass in Spitfire Albion, but blended with strings and woods too - essentially a trombone but the raspy sort. Drone footage.
Old February 16th, 2020, 01:36 PM   #115
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks. A lot of people are using drones now, but it seems to me, that when I do the math on the costs, and the price for a drone licences and drone insurance, that's actually cheapter to rent a real helicopter pilot to fly you around. Is that true? But if that's true, than why are drones more popular now?
Old February 16th, 2020, 03:06 PM   #116
Inner Circle

You can fly a lot lower with a drone and you don't get the downdraft. Helicopters cant go closer than 500ft to objects without special permission, while drones can't go higher than 500ft.in Europe or 400ft in the USA.

You also need the camera mount in the helicopter.
Old February 16th, 2020, 03:39 PM   #117
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, it's just that the drone cameras they use have such wide lenses, does the ability to go lower really matter if you have a telephoto?
Old February 16th, 2020, 05:09 PM   #118
Inner Circle

You need a high end gyro mount to remove the vibration on telephoto lenses, quite apart from the look of a wider lens is very different to that of long focal length lens.

Get a high end drone, which allows you to change the lens on the camera.

The perspective changes as you move in closer.

The choice between a helicopter and a drone will depend on the subject matter, how high you need to go, the speed you require and the loiter time.
Old February 17th, 2020, 01:17 AM   #119
Inner Circle

I am by no means an expert and fly mine entirely for pleasure now the rules make commercial operation far too expensive, and of course, the market is saturated - but helicopters are far too expensive, and often charges are down to the minute! They also suffer from severe vibration, so using them for movie making, rather than news gathering means engaging a firm with proper gyro stabilised pods, and permanent internal fittting - plus more people, who are always expensive.

Dronse fly in limited vertical airpsace, but this is exactly the right place for a wide angle lens to look good. Helicopters would be as Brian says, higher, and need to be tighter, which causes lenses to need stabilisation. In non-pod fitted helicopters shooting from them is horrible. Many pilots are not trained at things camera people ask for. Helicopters can fly sideways so allowing the camera to approach objects - but ask a pilot with 5000 hours in the logbook how many hours he has flying sideways and you'll discover the answer is painfully few. Some notable crashes over the years caused by pilot error carrying out aerial video work. Flying around a lighthouse - a common request - is a particularly dangerous activity to a lower hours pilot, but a common request from the video people.

Drones have typically short range - the rules mean that if you can't see them, you're too far away, and you can't go high - 400ft is the highest most will fly due to the geofencing and protection built into the popular ones. They're great things for a limited range of stuff. I gave up 6 months ago because of the hassle, rules and misunderstanding from members of the public - plus the understandable attitude of those who have spent thousands doing training. The new registration system here which I did, and took the test, still makes the damn things a pain. I now pass this to poeple local to me who do it better, have better gear, and carry the can if it goes wrong.
Old February 17th, 2020, 08:09 PM   #120
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay thanks, that's good to know. I think for my projects I will just forget about aerial shots, as I won't have enough on the shotlist for it to be worth it, I don't think.

Also when it comes to deciding on a new camera, what about night shooting? Do the blackmagics, which I was told to get have as good of an ISO for shooting at night, like the Sony A7s II for example? I know I keep being told to light at night instead, but when it comes to shots of an entire street, it's hard to light the entire street.

What about how these scenes are lit, in Dirty Harry I noticed. There is a scene in a park, where as a script I want to do, also has a scene in a park at night. In Dirty Harry, they light the park like this:

They still leave a lot of the park dark, especially in the opening wide shots of Harry walking through it.

Also in the scene, at 1:07 into the clip, they show a view of the street:

The street is still quite dark. So do you think with this kind of cinematography, I can pull off shooting at night, since this type is still darker than usual for movies, and does not have near as many lights by comparison?

Last edited by Ryan Elder; February 18th, 2020 at 12:35 AM.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion