I'm having trouble storyboarding a movie because of covid restrictions. - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 28th, 2021, 11:53 AM   #136
also known as Ryan Wray

Re: I'm having trouble storyboarding a movie because of covid restrictions.

Oh okay thanks. Well I've done ADR in the past, and would rather find an on set solution if possible. But how much further away can an 816 go in comparison? It didn't really give measurements in the article.

I've used the NTG-3 on other shoots, but no matter how accurate you are at aiming the mic to the mouth, if there is something in the background that the human ear can hear, it seems the mic will still pick it up though in my tests. Even if the dialogue covers it up from aiming accurately, that noise could still be heard when people are done speaking, and in the room tone.

But what I don't understand is, when people say wide shots have too much head room for booms, then why not just frame the wide so there is not so much headroom then?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 01:07 PM   #137
Inner Circle

As I mentioned, for interiors they would've often been using sound stages in studios. Taking out background noise during the silence in dialogue tracks is a job for post production.

They mentioned a distance in the last message. You really need to test the mic you're actually using.

They frame wide shots for how it looks, not for having a mic 6 inches above people's heads.

The easiest method would be to rent some radio mics, if the shot is going to be wide and you don't want to ADR.

In the end you'll have to do what your resources will allow and work within them. It doesn't help if you keep imposing your own restrictions.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 01:10 PM   #138
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh it's just in the past I've had problems with radio mics, such as close rustling especially if you want the actors to move around more while speaking. So I was trying to find other ways. I guessed that master shots were framed because of how they look, not to get 6 inches above the actors head, but why not frame them in order to get those six inches, and put looks as secondary, since a master shot, without much headroom can still look good? Or won't it? I just feel that if you put sound in the framing first, and looks come second, then you don't not lavs as much, for each actor, unless I am wrong.
Old January 28th, 2021, 01:27 PM   #139
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
You've got the gear, why don't you test it?
Why bother to test anything when Ryan can get free advice here ... and then ignore it.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 01:35 PM   #140
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
no matter how accurate you are at aiming the mic to the mouth, if there is something in the background that the human ear can hear, it seems the mic will still pick it up though in my tests. Even if the dialogue covers it up from aiming accurately, that noise could still be heard when people are done speaking, and in the room tone.
NO KIDDING! That is how microphones work. That is how sound waves work.

Q: How many people here are banging their heads on the wall?
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 01:50 PM   #141
also known as Ryan Wray

It was said on here before that if the shotgun mic is aimed accurately enough, then that really helps solve the problems. I was point out how the background noise will still be a problem no matter how accurately the mic is aimed. And then it was said that sound stages help.

I can try to find locations where background noise won't be much of an issue then hopefully.
Old January 28th, 2021, 01:50 PM   #142
Slash Rules!

All of us. Twice today I have started to type a long response and then deleted it 'cause really, what's the point? The less you invest in the threads and just sit back and watch, the more tolerable they become. I don't know how Paul hasn't ended up in a padded room by this point.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 01:52 PM   #143
Slash Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
NO KIDDING! That is how microphones work. That is how sound waves work.

All of us. Twice today I have started to type a long response and then deleted it 'cause really, what's the point? The less you invest in the threads and just sit back and watch, the more tolerable they become. I don't know how Paul hasn't ended up in a padded room by this point.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 01:57 PM   #144
Inner Circle

Quote:
I guessed that master shots were framed because of how they look, not to get 6 inches above the actors head, but why not frame them in order to get those six inches, and put looks as secondary, since a master shot, without much headroom can still look good? Or won't it?
You should be in radio. cinema is a visual medium, where the framing can imply a meaning to what's going on.

On your budget, the ADR method will work, just record the dialogue after the good take, so that the performances match. What's good enough for Fellini is good enough for you - he had to do it the hard way.

Yes, this more difficult than actually shooting the scene, Certainly it would take a lot less time!
Old January 28th, 2021, 02:10 PM   #145
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay I thought cinema was also an audio medium just as much as visual and that it was pretty much 50/50.

You mean record the dialog right after shooting, on the same shoot? I have tried that though, but the speed of the dialogue did not match later, because the speed and timing was different though. We tried a few takes of course, but none of them match, and you cannot tell until later in the editing though.
Old January 28th, 2021, 02:19 PM   #146
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
Quote:
Oh okay I thought cinema was also an audio medium just as much as visual and that it was pretty much 50/50.

You mean record the dialog right after shooting, on the same shoot? I have tried that though, but the speed of the dialogue did not match later, because the speed and timing was different though. We tried a few takes of course, but none of them match, and you cannot tell until later in the editing though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
A professional who does this for a living who has a wealth of experience would know the proper approach for any given situation. You on the other hand spend your day on internet forums discussing half bake ideas based on your limited amateur experiences, coming up with solutions to previous attempts that weren't executed properly. These discussions revolve around you trying to over plan and over compensate for all your short comings whether they be lack of experience or proper equipment/location/etc needed for a professional movie.
Read this out loud a 100x before posting again.
You've had problems in the past with booming, wireless lavs, and ADR. There's no where to hide, you simply aren't good at this. Almost all your problems and questions are variations of how do you do something a different way because you can't do it the accepted way. Why do you think most people don't attempt to film their own movies, because it's hard and it's expensive.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 02:21 PM   #147
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay I read that but isn't it good to try to find different solutions if it wasn't properly executed before though? I can find a better location for next time, and don't shoot until I find one if that is better, and get better equipment as well, but I thought that less headroom in the wideshots, couldn't hurt either.
Old January 28th, 2021, 03:06 PM   #148
Inner Circle

As the director your job is to create an engaging films that pulls the audience in. It;s not your job to worry about how the sound recordist is going to mic the scenes, it's your job to select a person that can carry out the job, no matter how you decide to shoot the film.

This isn't an aesthetic decision, you're painting yourself into a corner, as usual, over something that a competent sound person can do without even breaking into a sweat.
Old January 28th, 2021, 03:08 PM   #149
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, it's just I've worked with other directors who didn't pay enough attention to this sound and I thought it suffered as a result so I didn't want to do that as well.

But I can just storyboard and not worry about it so much. it was brought to my attention that I should storyboard the movie in 2.00:1. However when it comes to DCP spec requirements, they only list 1.85 and 2.39 as options though. I'm having trouble confirming if 2.00 is an option for DCP, if anyone knows for sure?
Old January 28th, 2021, 03:13 PM   #150
Inner Circle

Maybe the sound department was under equipped for the job that they were trying to do.

You've already asked about 2:1 aspect ratio in another very long thread, so go back and look though it.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion