I'm having trouble storyboarding a movie because of covid restrictions. - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 28th, 2021, 07:13 PM   #181
also known as Ryan Wray

Re: I'm having trouble storyboarding a movie because of covid restrictions.

Well I tried removing an air conditioner sound from the background once, by following instructions on how to do it in adobe audition, but I felt that really brought down the quality of dialogue sound though, giving it a muffled sound. So I felt it was best to leave the background noise in then, so in order for it to not be muffled.

But that was my judgement call, perhaps I was wrong then. I can try more.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 07:23 PM   #182
Trustee

Are you the director or the sound mixer? It is not your specialty and it is not your job to pretend you're the mixer. And some mixers are better than others. Did you give anyone else an opportunity to work on that particular file? (And also that presupposes that you had a very good sound recordist, who got the least possible amount of A/C noise in the track in the first place ... another big assumption.)

How about using precise language, instead of being so damned dramatic about everything.

What you should have said was "I tried to remove one sound once, and it didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped." PERIOD.

Quote:
perhaps I was wrong then.
Correct. You were wrong.

Quote:
I can try more.
Wrong. You get a sound man who knows what he's doing, and let him do his job. If you try to do it yourself you are just setting yourself up for more failure.

This nonsense about "so many things can't be removed" is absolute and utter BS. And obviously I am getting tired of waltzing around your constant flow of BS. If you want to have a meaningful conversation that is helpful to you and not offensive to the rest of us, cut the BS!!! Put on your big boy panties and be factual instead of being so damned dramatic and over-inclusive with your statements.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 07:53 PM   #183
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
You should do some basic studying on how sound is handled in post production. Every film will have the same issues that you bring up over and over again and yet they solve them when they put the sound track together,
Long, long ago I recommended that Ryan buy and read the excellent book on Audio Post production written by Jay Rose (who, sadly, has left this life). I doubt that Ryan has ever bought it, let alone read it.
Old January 28th, 2021, 08:05 PM   #184
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh thanks, that was quite a while ago. I thought I ordered that book back then but maybe it didn't come or I'm not sure. I can't remember. I can order it. Thanks again for that. Sorry I forgot about it way back. Or maybe I have it around here somewhere, I will look.

Well I can leave it up the sound person I just don't want him to ask to him redo a lot of my storyboards if I do them now though. But I was just going by experience, being the boom operator on someone else's shoot. But maybe that won't be the case.
Old January 28th, 2021, 08:13 PM   #185
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
Well I can leave it up the sound person I just don't want him to ask to him redo a lot of my storyboards if I do them now though. But I was just going by experience, being the boom operator on someone else's shoot. But maybe that won't be the case.
Ryan, I cannot unscramble this grammatically. I cannot figure out what you are trying to say. The first sentence is especially bad. One thing that would be helpful would be for you to slow down, write clearly, proofread what you have written, then edit as needed before clicking "Submit."
Old January 28th, 2021, 08:50 PM   #186
also known as Ryan Wray

I'm sorry. What I meant was I thought I ordered the book back then and it's probably around here. I will look for it. Sorry for not reading it, I probably am just concentrating on other areas of filmmaking. But I will read it, I promise that.
Old January 28th, 2021, 09:01 PM   #187
Trustee

Ryan, you are absolutely impossible to deal with. Look at the text I quoted! I said I didn't understand that, and instead you replied about something entirely different that you wrote. How can you expect to have a productive conversation here and learn anything about any subject?
Old January 28th, 2021, 09:05 PM   #188
Inner Circle

Ryan your MO is one of avoidance. Instead of treating failures as opportunities to get better you spend your time on trying to avoid them.

I don't know how many times or ways I can say this... You don't have the aptitude to produce and direct you're own movie. You obviously like movies so do us a favor find some other role in the process that you have the ability to do. I think if you were honest with yourself the true purpose of making your own movie is to make yourself feel important. If that's the case you shouldn't waste our time with all these question that don't lead anywhere. I'm assuming this is more of a vehicle for attention.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; January 28th, 2021 at 10:04 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 09:12 PM   #189
also known as Ryan Wray

I'm sorry if I was not able to have a conversation properly. I don't mean to be difficult.

I can try to spend more money on the problems and also try to find better locations. I just reach the point where I figure maybe it's best to do the best I can with what I have and try to get something in the can, rather than not at all. But I will try to look harder for better locations, and more crew and more actors to choose from for next time. Perhaps I should make it in a different city with more options for the next one.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion