I'm having trouble storyboarding a movie because of covid restrictions. - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 28th, 2021, 04:31 PM   #166
Trustee

Re: I'm having trouble storyboarding a movie because of covid restrictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
but it was also said before that I should have used lavs to get rid of the background noise. But if the human ear can hear background noise, then wouldn't lavs be able to pick it up though too?
No, I do NOT think that was said here previously. If you want to prove otherwise, please tell us the specific number of the post so I can read the original and see if you're quoting it correctly.

Again you are paraphrasing, misquoting, and misinterpreting. I don't know if you do this because you are really, really dense, or because you are intentionally being perverse. But of course it's impossible to carry on a productive dialog with you because you do this all the time.

Out of curiosity, which do you think it is? Being clueless about whatever topic is under discussion, or being intentionally perverse?
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 04:32 PM   #167
also known as Ryan Wray

I think it's being more clueless. I don't mean to be perverse. I will try not to give that impression. I apologize.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 04:34 PM   #168
Inner Circle

Quote:
unless I was missing something that maybe I didn't know about.
The list of things you do not know about is not a small one.

What worries us is your lack of progress - you don't evolve and grow, just go in an endless circle. We try to help, but you make it so damn hard.

People explain things really well, then you say "so you're saying ......" and they are NOT. It's so clear what they meant, but you really don't understand. Your aim is so high your ability cannot support it without assistance and your available help seem to be 16-18yr old college basic level people. You have never ever told us about any of your people who is an expert, ever!

Most weak Directors get away with it because they are supported by excellent people and you don't have, as far as we can see, any at all! All the people you tell us about are clueless - some dangerous - yet you keep saying "I have been told..." Who are these people who feed you such rubbish sometimes? Or are they giving you the same advice as us, and you just don't understand them too?

Ryan - you drive us to the edge sometimes, but you do not learn - it is so frustrating. Other forum members avoid these topics, have you noticed? The number of readers is high. the number of people who try to help limited to us old faithfuls - who are really trying hard to educate you, but you are such hard work, and we get tired and grumpy. Im sorry about that, and we sometimes snap - but are you aware how difficult it is to communicate with you? You twist our words, you repeat it back mangled and you often clearly did not do what we suggest, but pretend you have. You say you watched a video - but I bet you gained little. Everything you do is mimicry of somebody else's product. You copy good things but tweak them badly. You dismiss things because you don't understand them. When I had to produce reports on students - you would have been "usually tries". Can you up your game
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 04:35 PM   #169
Slash Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
No, I do NOT think that was said here previously. If you want to prove otherwise, please tell us the specific number of the post so I can read the original and see if you're quoting it correctly.

Again you are paraphrasing, misquoting, and misinterpreting. I don't know if you do this because you are really, really dense, or because you are intentionally being perverse. But of course it's impossible to carry on a productive dialog with you because you do this all the time.

Out of curiosity, which do you think it is? Being clueless about whatever topic is under discussion, or being intentionally perverse?
I feel every six months or so I have to step in and clarify that Ryan has confirmed he is on the spectrum, 'cause he will never tell you himself. It affects, seemingly, everything about how he thinks and processes.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 04:36 PM   #170
also known as Ryan Wray

sorry I don't mean to reject advice on here. It's just some of the advice I've already tried and it didn't work because of other problems before, so I think well that can't be right or I'm missing something therefore. But I don't mean to give a disrespectful impression. I'm sorry.

I do truly appreciate all the help and I have taken suggestions on here before and that they were for the better for sure. And I thank everyone for all the advice.
Old January 28th, 2021, 04:53 PM   #171
Inner Circle

You should do some basic studying on how sound is handled in post production. Every film will have the same issues that you bring up over and over again and yet they solve them when they put the sound track together,
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 04:54 PM   #172
also known as Ryan Wray

oh okay, it's just that so many things can't be removed once it's recorded so I didn't think it would be possible. However it was pointed out that some new technology was available in the last four years now, before on the thread.
Old January 28th, 2021, 04:56 PM   #173
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
I feel every six months or so I have to step in and clarify that Ryan has confirmed he is on the spectrum, 'cause he will never tell you himself. It affects, seemingly, everything about how he thinks and processes.
Josh, I have kept that in mind. I think ryan's personality quirks make it impossible for him to remember accurately and to process logically. The result is his cluelessness. I think his realizing that and stating it is at least one small step in the right direction.

I wish I could get Ryan in a locked room, with no outside interference, and try to explain sound to him. On this forum, Ryan keeps bringing up different issues, and of course various people chime in to address those issues, and the focus keeps changing back and forth. Meanwhile, Ryan never assimilates the most basic information about any given topic.

If I were trying to mentor Ryan, I would go slowly, with a quiz at the end of each simple concept, to be sure he wasn't misinterpreting before moving on to the next level.

e.g. LESSON NUMBER ONE: "A theoretical microphone, in a theoretical room, will, to some degree, pick up every sound in that room." Then let him ask all the questions he wants about different mics he has used or heard of, different noises, etc.

But how can we possibly achieve a focused learning situation here, in this (or any) forum?

That is why I've said more than once that Ryan needs a good local mentor, and an apprenticeship opportunity somewhere.

So, Josh (and others) how can we get any positive result from this forum, before we all agree just to abandon it?

PS: Don't expect any reply from me soon, it's time for dinner, ABC News, and Jeopardy. I'll be back after 7:30.
Old January 28th, 2021, 04:58 PM   #174
Slash Rules!

My solution is I think I'm out. I'm gonna try to deprogram Paul and then he and I are running away to New Zealand together to pet sheep and play music.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 05:06 PM   #175
Inner Circle

Quote:
oh okay, it's just that so many things can't be removed once it's recorded so I didn't think it would be possible. However it was pointed out that some new technology was available in the last four years now, before on the thread.
I edited a film that had dialogue scenes in a car, I put it together so that you weren't aware of all the things you seem to be obsessed with. You stop filming if there are things like trucks going past or doors slamming in the background.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 05:14 PM   #176
Inner Circle

I think you're right. I need to take a rest from Ryan's topics, so I will try to not respond - but I find it hard to not try to help him.

I'm going to search on ebay for as many bass flutes as I can find, and run a road roller over them.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 05:30 PM   #177
Inner Circle

If I read between the lines this is what must have happened in Ryan's head

Problem: Background Noise

Advice: Move microphone closer to subject

Ryan's Application of Advice: I need change the framing of my wide shots or change the ratio of the entire film to reduce the vertical space or "headroom" so I can get the boom mic closer to the subject while still remaining out of frame.

Normal approach: Let qualified sound guy decide on the right approach (wireless lav or adr) for noisy location. End of story!!!!

[joins everyone else in New Zealand to pet sheep and never read Ryan's endless problems]
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 06:16 PM   #178
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, well the thing is, I have had problems with the normal approach before. ADR we tried before on past projects, me and the sound person but couldn't the ADR performances to match the visual performances in terms of speed.

And as for moving the mic closer, I thought that by me deciding to have less headroom that would help get the mic closer. I am just trying to make it easier for the sound person, since I figured his advice would be to have less headroom to get the mic closer anyway. So I was just trying to do what I thought was obvious to help with that. That's all.

Also the lavs do not work in noisier locations in past experience, because in past experience when I tried lavs, the lavs actually picked up more background noise than the boom mics. The lavs have a pick up pattern that causes more background sound to be picked up. So how are lavs suppose to help when they will just pick up more background noise because of their pattern. That is just my past experience, but that is what I do not understand, is how they are they suppose to help when past experience says they were worse. That's all I was trying to say. I didn't mean to come off as rude or anything of the sort.

It's just that lavs and ADR did not work before, so I thought since that didn't work, I thought I should try to find alternate solutions. I was just going by past experience and was just saying their were problems with those before, but I did mean to make it seem like I was knocking the advice. I was just trying to say, I tried it before and it didn't work. But of course, maybe I was missing something before?

Last edited by Ryan Elder; January 28th, 2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old January 28th, 2021, 07:04 PM   #179
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
My solution is I think I'm out. I'm gonna try to deprogram Paul and then he and I are running away to New Zealand together to pet sheep and play music.
I seriously think we should make a pact, then take a vote whether or not we have any further communication with Ryan. He is not learning anything from any of us, all he wants to do is explain why he's always right about everything, and argue with us. Civilization is going to end anyway, I can think of better ways to spend the next few months other than interacting with Ryan. And they do *not* involve sheep in any way. ;-)
Old January 28th, 2021, 07:07 PM   #180
Trustee

Quote:
Ryan, once again you are talking out your @$$ without thinking first. What do you mean by "so many things"? How do you know they can't be removed? How much experience have you had trying to do any sort of noise removal? C'mon, don't explain storyboards or locations or some other diversionary nonsense.

Answer this question: How much experience have you had trying to do any sort of noise removal?
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion