I'm having trouble storyboarding a movie because of covid restrictions. - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 27th, 2021, 03:37 AM   #106
Inner Circle

Re: I'm having trouble storyboarding a movie because of covid restrictions.

Greg and Josh. Yes. The choices made in my use of the English language were rather unfortunate in this instance. The connotations attachable to those two words never for one moment entered my brain.

Last edited by Bob Hart; January 27th, 2021 at 03:38 AM. Reason: erased one further freudian slip.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2021, 07:31 AM   #107
Inner Circle

Me neither Bob - Alan Bennett rather made one-handers his own for a while. I always find them a bit strange though - Actors breaking the 4th wall and talking to the camera is just a bit odd?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2021, 08:56 AM   #108
Slash Rules!

I believe you mean “artistic.”

And dont mind the connotations...I may be in my 40s but my mind is 12.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2021, 11:29 AM   #109
Inner Circle

A number of films do have actors talking to the audience. "Annie Hall" does it.in one scene,

They also look at the camera, sometimes with it as as the audience, other times at a character who is represented by the camera
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2021, 01:36 PM   #110
also known as Ryan Wray

So as I am storyboarding, I am trying not to give the characters much headroom so a boom mic can be close to them in the mastershots, but is it awkward for me to do draw master shots, where the actors do not have much headroom in order so the boom mic can go closer?

For example, in this movie mastershot here:

Why do they frame the actor so he has so much headroom between him and the boom mic. Wouldn't it just make more sense to frame so the boom mic can get as close in as possible?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2021, 01:56 PM   #111
Inner Circle

Storyboards aren't about headroom for the boom, they are visualizing the telling of the story,
Old January 27th, 2021, 02:10 PM   #112
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh yes for sure, but I figure I might as well keep the boom in mind too though, since I don't want mastershots with two much headroom in though. I thought about framing in 1.85, but now after storyboarding quite a few shots, I feel like that maybe 2.39 might have less headroom, while still being able to have a wide shot with a few actors in it, without having to cut anyone off now...
Old January 27th, 2021, 03:05 PM   #113
Inner Circle

The height of the ceiling is usually the main issue for wide shots. Having a long boom also helps, for drama a 15ft job is part of the kit.
Old January 27th, 2021, 03:17 PM   #114
Inner Circle

You have a huge massive room? If you letterbox too much then in an ordinary room space, the restricted width will cause you problems. I can't quite settle on that being a classic master shot though - it seems to be the primary shot - the framing, the content - and the camera move. I guess it's sort off a master shot, but it seems to be the key shot for most of the scene, till the closer framing comes in? Visually it does look good. Trouble is, the space required might be a snag for you without a very wide angle with no distortion.
Old January 27th, 2021, 04:05 PM   #115
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, but if I have some distortion, is that okay to live with? My boompole is 16 feet if that will do the job.
Old January 27th, 2021, 04:32 PM   #116
Inner Circle

That length should be fine for drama work.

It depends if distortion is part of the look.
Old January 27th, 2021, 04:36 PM   #117
Inner Circle

I'd say no. If you have bent verticals and horizontals, just to get a really wide screen - I'd say that's a mistake?

You're also not too good with the boom, I seem to remember. It caused you real trouble didn't it?

I found some of my shotguns today in the studio when I opened a flight case. I found an Audio Technica 815 - which is a longer shotgun than the 416's, but I also found my long lost AKG CK-9 - which is a monster long shotgun. Plugged it in and it still works fine - but I cannot find a windshield for it, so indoors only.

Maybe you'd be better with discretely hidden wavs on your actors Ryan - thinking back to the background noise. If you look at that old B&W clip - think how high the boom would have been. Is that feasible at the location you have in mind? A big untreated room will sound pretty horrible at a distance?
Old January 27th, 2021, 05:08 PM   #118
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay but that is why I was thinking of shooting wider because then you can havea few actors in a wide shot but there's not near as much headroom like in that clip. So the goal would be to have a few actors in a shot but no headroom hardly and still get the boom in real close.

I don't seem to remember having trouble with the boom or if I did, what was it?

I'm just trying to save money on labs and I don't want to buy laughs for five actors or more if they can be avoided for a scene, compared to just using a couple of mics on booms.

but it seems to me that headroom in a master shot, is an easy fix, because all you have to do is shoot in a wide aspect ratio, and don't give the actors no more headroom then you would give them in a medium close-up shot.
Old January 27th, 2021, 05:35 PM   #119
Inner Circle

You are letting the tail wag the dog with all this. Wide shots generally have more head room than a MCU.
Old January 27th, 2021, 06:44 PM   #120
also known as Ryan Wray

Well what I mean is I wouldn't want to give too much head room so I could still use the boom. That is why I thought maybe shooting in 2.39 might be better now because as I am storyboarding in 1.85, the headroom may just be too much maybe if you want multiple actors in a wide shot.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion