24p questions - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old April 7th, 2004, 06:45 AM   #451
Major Player

DVX100(a) 24p Display?

Does the 24p "film look" require some post processing, or is it available right out of the camera? Could you plug the camera into a TV set and see the "look"? I guess what I am wondering is if the A/V output is 60i (NTSC baseband video compliant) with the frames arranged as 24p images.

Thanks.
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:26 AM   #452
Trustee

You might be overthinking it a bit. The simple answer is just hook that baby up to a TV or Monitor and you'll get the 24p 'look' you mentioned. No post processing or doctoring required.

The subject of 'pulldown' and how it relates to editing and playback on an NTSC tv, however, goes pretty deep, so do a search on 'pulldown' for that and you'll get lots more info than you could ever want on it.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #453
Regular Crew

Correct me if I'm wrong here but doesn't it show it on TV using a 2:3 pull down so you’re watching 24p at 60i. However, I believe the characteristics of 24p would be there, much like it is when watching a DVD movie that was shot on film.

I think the real advantage to this camera is shooting in 24p and being able to edit in 24p using Vegas or FCP, then possibly going straight to film with it. Putting it back to tape and watching it on TV is the same pull down as they do with film. However, recording in 24p and editing in 24p and then outputting to a 24p QuickTime or avi would keep it at 24p if you were doing this for web purposes.

Once again, if I messed something up here, correct me.
Anthony Meluso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #454
Major Player

The most important aspect of the 24p is in the capture of motion by the camera. How it is stored to the tape is far less critical. The storing and playback methods do little to mess with the originating film like 24fps capture, where the subtleties of the motion are getting taken in.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #455
Regular Crew

The NTSC frame rate will always be 29.97 frames per second, with each frame being composed of 2 different fields. So that's 59.94 interlaced fields per second--aka 60i.

The DVX100 always lays it's signal down to this NTSC standard (unless you have the PAL version). In 24p normal mode (F5) the DVX distributes 24p frames alternately to 2 and 3 60i fields (aka 2:3 or 2:3:2:3 pulldown). In 24p advanced mode (F6) the DVX distributes 24p frames alternately to 2 and 3 60i fields, and then to 3 and 2 60i fields (aka 2:3:3:2 pulldown).

If you just want the 24p look, but *don't* intend to edit or output 24p directly (like for a true 24p DVD), then the 2:3:2:3 cadence of 24p normal will look the best. If you intend to edit or output 24p, the 24p advanced mode allows you to cleanly remove the 2:3:3:2 pulldown. Why? Because the DV compression format compresses the two 60i fields of each NTSC 29.97 frame together. In 24p advanced you never have to recover a 24p frame from two different compressed NTSC 29.97 frames.

See: http://www.adamwilt.com/24p/#24pRecording
Barry Schmetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:04 PM   #456
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Anthony Meluso : I think the real advantage to this camera is shooting in 24p and being able to edit in 24p using Vegas or FCP, then possibly going straight to film with it. Putting it back to tape and watching it on TV is the same pull down as they do with film. -->>>

That is true, however another big advantage of this camera is that it is the only one in this price range to actually capture 24 progressive frames per second. There is no way that you can take footage from any other camera and rival the clarity that this camera will give you with 24p. Not even the high priced Boris or even DV film maker can equal the progressive footage, because in order to make 60i footage progressive, you have to take a big resolution loss, making the footage very soft.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #457
Regular Crew

24P for dummies

in the past when i didnt know where to start with anything, i would always go to the library and rent "For Dummies" books. i have taken out FCP4, PS7, and Dreamweaver Dummies books. I want to purchase a DVX100 (which will happen within the next 8 months) but have NO idea how to start editing IN FCP4. i have read several different paragraphs and even 5 page long explanation but i dont understand whats going on 3 sentences. in other words, i need something that baby steps me throuh the process, telling me what to do, where to click, just like the Dummies books do. unfortunatly there isnt a "24P for Dummies." Does anyone have a book/site that will walk you through, step by step, importing and editing in 24P advance in FCP, and ultimately exporting?? (can include cinema tools and anything else i need"

real independent
Michael Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #458
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

This notice thread might provide you some pointers.

Jeff Donald's notice also provides a link to an Apple Quicktime tutorial regarding the telecine process.

What has you confused? The capture process?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #459
Regular Crew

like i said, i read both of those, ive read them all, and the video tutorial is too small and brief for me to catch everything thats going on. im just confused on how to get it from the dvx to my mac and edit it in true 24p and export in true 24p

real independent
Michael Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:12 PM   #460
New Boot

it's 24p and it's cheap (hope so)

hi,

i'm looking for a good camera (low price/high quality ;) which is able to shoot 24p....which one is the best. the pan dv100?

thanx,
lukah
Lukah Sighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:28 PM   #461
Major Player

It's not only the best, it's the only one. But if you're in Europe, you'll have to shoot 25p, which isn't much different then 24p.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 07:52 AM   #462
New Boot

capturing in Vegas 5.0 and 24p Advanced

Hi.
When you capture in Vegas 5.0 footage which has been recorded in 24 advanced mode, In the capture windows in option menu - preference and again capture there is option to chouse analog device option - custom frame rate - is 24 film rate should be chosen?
Thanks.
Old June 21st, 2004, 07:55 AM   #463
RED Code Chef

Analog capture is only if you have a capture board in your PC that
supports analog in and MJPEG (some TV boards can do this as
well).

To the best of my knowledge any con-/prosumer boards only
support 29.97 fps (59.94 fields) for NTSC and 25 fps (50 fields)
for PAL.

If you are capturing with the pany 100 then you don't need to
worry about the analog setting since it will NOT be used.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:13 AM   #464
Trustee

Michael, I'm not sure what you're asking, but perhaps this may help:
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ctinfo/24p.pdf
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 10:05 AM   #465
New Boot

Thank you guys. You have answered my question. Vary helpful.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant