24p questions - Page 29 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 16th, 2004, 08:38 AM   #421
Major Player

your the man, thanks
Mike Zorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 07:26 PM   #422
New Boot

first-ever single screen, single-take full-length 24p...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/indepe...ssian_ark.html

Old January 29th, 2004, 07:55 PM   #423
New Boot

BTW- For those interested, here's a Sony FAQ for their HDW-F900:

http://216.130.185.103/content/article_51.shtml

And George Lucas talking about HD format:

http://216.130.185.103/content/article_45.shtml
Old January 29th, 2004, 11:26 PM   #424
Obstreperous Rex

We have several threads already going on Russian Ark. Two of the lengthiest (more than 25 responses) are:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=3320

and

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=5553

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 11:44 PM   #425
New Boot

I should've checked. My bad.
Old March 1st, 2004, 07:14 PM   #426
New Boot

DVD Project: 24p or 24p Adv?

I am not sure which mode to choose dor my new project. The final destination will surely be DVD.

Please advise.
Augustine Arredondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2004, 07:27 PM   #427
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

24p, or 30p

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2004, 08:09 PM   #428
Space Hipster

If you are making a 24 progressive DVD, shoot 24p advanced.
Old March 1st, 2004, 09:06 PM   #429
Regular Crew

The most advance method to produce to DVD is 24p DVD. This is what virtually all hollywood productions are produced to. The advantage is that end users with a progressive player and progressive display output device will have a higher quality product for viewing. Those with more traditional performance players and TV's/monitors will not see all of the added advantage of 24p DVD, but they will not experience any quality loss over the 30 fps encoded DVD either.

24p DVD also provide an additional amount of storage over 30 fps DVD which can be used to either fit more play time on the DVD, or better yet, used to reduce compression and thereby increase quality.

24p DVD is one of those normally hard to find "win-win" situations everyone should take advantage of.

-Rodger
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #430
Velusion

24p to NTSC on the fly

I have a question about the 24p advanced mode. I like the idea of converting footage to 24p before editing if your finished product is going to be rendered to film or encoded for DVDs. It seems like a very smart thing to do. Vegas editing software can do the conversion without having to recompress the video during the reverse pull down. Anyway, the only thing I don’t know about editing at 24 frames per second is this: Can I send the playback from the timeline through the camera via firewire so that the camera can do a 2:3:3:2 pulldown on the fly and send the NTSC compliant video to an NTSC monitor for viewing and color correction?
Old March 24th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #431
Barry Wan Kenobi

Vegas does exactly that.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2004, 03:31 PM   #432
Regular Crew

24p seems jumpy

First off starting last friday I am the proud owner of a agdvx100.

Fiirst thing I noticed however when messing aroud with it, is that in 24p mode while watching it through the lcd that it seems quite choppy. Now I understand the concept behind it and yes Ive shot on film before, what I want to know is does this smooth out some after rendered?
Thanks for your time.
Ryan Wachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2004, 05:49 PM   #433
Barry Wan Kenobi

You have just entered the single most-discussed DVX topic (seems like everyone's quit asking "what's that rattle?")

A quick summary: first, the LCD displays one field at a time, not a full frame. Because of the 3:2 pulldown, it looks significantly more "stuttery" on the LCD than it does on an NTSC monitor.

Second, the DVX does render motion identically to the way a film camera does. Move the camera like a film camera, and it will reward you with filmlike motion. I've shot film and video on the same subject, imported it into the same project, split-screened it, and proven it -- the DVX is no "jumpier" than film is. They render the motion the same.

So, since you're already used to shooting film, just be sure to move the camera the same way, and use a CRT monitor if you want to see what it "really" looks like, since the LCD is signficantly "jumpier".
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2004, 06:22 PM   #434
Space Hipster

Barry:

While I had my DVX, I never did get around to film vs. video motion blur. Did you ever verify the amount of motion blur on identical shutter speeds on film vs. DVX?

I'm curious if there a differences in the motion blur characteristics between film and CCD's...
Old March 28th, 2004, 07:12 PM   #435
Outer Circle

Quote:
...in 24p mode while watching it through the lcd that it seems quite choppy. Now I understand the concept behind it and yes Ive shot on film before, what I want to know is does this smooth out some after rendered?
24P is choppy because it is not 60 fields per second. When this footage is played back on a TV, however, it will look smoother because it'll be interlaced (viewed in fields); but it still won't look as smooth as viewing something shot in NTSC interlaced to begin with, because the 24P capture misses some fields and frames. For a better explaination of this, go to Adam Wilt's DVC100 /DVC100A review found somewhere on this site: http://www.adamwilt.com

Watching a picture show will look smoother than interlaced 24P because no information is missed, and each frame is shown twice giving you a 48P effect.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant