AG-DVC30 various topics - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:39 AM   #241
Major Player

Hi Ian

I can't give you a definte solution to this one from memory but I had similiar issue a while back. A couple of things to check:

Are you using the original AV cable that came with the DVC30? I once tried using the cable (with all the same connectors) from a digital still camera, no joy.

Also, be very precise about the mode settings. It seems to ring a bell that to record from AV the camera needs to be in VCR mode, no Record mode....(could of got that completely wrong)...
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:54 AM   #242
Regular Crew

I'm not at my 30 right now, but you need to stay in "VCR" mode. When you have the video from the VHS playing press and hold the 2 REC buttons on the camera (with the LCD display open) and it will start recording. This will not make the video better but it may be somewhat better for archiving.

Question, if you are going through all of this why not just import the VHs video to your editing software and output it as a DVD and then it won;t go bad.

Jeff
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:40 PM   #243
Regular Crew

Thanks Heaps Guys,

Mission accomplished!
Ian Landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #244
Regular Crew

DVC30 Infrared?

Well I Just purchased a DVC30 as a back up camera for our dvx100b. I was also looking at getting the infrared adapter to allow farther filming. Any thoughts before I order one?

I will be using the infrared for wildlife filming.

Has anyone used the infrared with this camera? Whats your thoughts?
Andy Loos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #245
New Boot

Capturing from VCR through DVC-30 to computer

1st timer here. I'm trying to capture old vhs-c tapes to my computer. I tried the "dazzle" route but it drops frames like crazy. I've recorded to my DVC-30 then catured and that works fine, but the manual (and what I want to do) makes it sound like I can use the camera to turn the signal to digital and cature the footage through the camera without actually recording to tape first. But when I try that as soon as I hit capture it starts capturing the camcorder tape not the VCR tape. What's the trick, or is there one? (I hope this isn't a "if I had a nickle every time I heard that question" question)
BTW I'm using Vegas 4.0 & firewire cable.
Gavin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #246
Regular Crew

Hi Gavin,

This is fairly easy. Just connect the AV cables that came with the 30 to the video output of the VHS player and plug the other end into the AV jack on the side of the 30.

Connect the 30 to your computer via firewire.

Turn on the VHS player and turn on the 30. Once the 30 comes up, put it in player mode.

The camera should see the signal (I'm thinking your VHS player will output a blue screen if it is not playing a tape) and switch the AV cooonection to an 'input' and show you the incoming video from the VHS player on the viewfinder of the 30. It might take a second or 2 for this to happen.

Play the video and verify the sign is passing through the 30. You shoud then be able to fire up Vegas and to a "live" capture, meaning you have to set it to ignore frame drops. I don't have Vegas so I'm not sure how. You do not want Vegas to control the 30 as you normally do when capturing from the miniDV tape.

Look through the manual for the 30, I think it is all in there. I do this quite a bit when I get jobs for transfering VHS or 8mm to DVD.

Jeff
Old July 26th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #247
Regular Crew

Sorry I can not help you with the IR adapter that is available. I have only used the built in IR. It works nice but not much range. The various SMS modes are nice and it does a good job as far as picture clarity.

Jeff
Old July 26th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #248
New Boot

OK, Vegas must be the issue. I was doing everything the way you said, now I have to figure out how to change the capture control in Vegas. Thanks Jeff. (I've recently started my own videography business and was wondering how much you charged to transfer VHS/8mm tapes to DVD)
-Gavin
Old July 27th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #249
Regular Crew

If it is one tape I usually change $20. I did a whole series of hi8's amd miniDV for a friend for $60. Try not to charge too much so I get repeat busniess.

I only do this part time, weddings, other events, promotional DVD's church work. Good hobby that brings in some money!

Jeff
Old July 27th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #250
New Boot

Success! In the capture window there's an "options" heading, clicked on that and UNCLICKED control DV device.Then when I click capture it captures the VCR feed not the camcorder tape. The other thing is to change the DV OUT setting to "ON" on the DVC 30. It's under AV IN/OUT SETUP. Thanks for the help, both camera and business, and I hope any and all this info helps someone else too!
-Gavin
Old July 29th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #251
New Boot

I am not sure how much the IR adapter for the dvc30 costs, but if I recall, it was pretty steep. It is just an IR light -- when I bought my dvc30 a couple of years ago, there were a number of other IR lights for a whole lot less than the panasonic version. You might check B&H or ebay for infrared lights and save some money going that route instead.
Tim Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #252
Regular Crew

THanks guys.

Have you heard of anyone using these adaptors? I am just curious if its worth the money.
you are right tim, they are very spendy. Thanks for the tip.
Andy Loos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #253
Regular Crew

Glad you got it all worked ok. Have fun, the 30 is a great camera. Wish I had extra funds to get a second. Just did a wedding a week ago and had to borrow a hi8mm cam for my second. Now I have to do a bunch of color correcting.

Jeff
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #254
New Boot

Thanks again Jeff! This was my first forum of any kind, and you made it a great experience. I'll be visiting much...(good luck with the wedding video!)
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:36 AM   #255
New Boot

Tripod for DVC-30

Looking for a good tripod with a fluid head, for shooting sports, that doesn't break the bank. Any good suggestions?
Gavin Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant