AG-DVC30 various topics - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old July 29th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #136
Major Player

http://www.dvuser.co.kr/zboard/data/...nic/MiniDV.jpg
(MX5000: 30P, 16:9)
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:09 AM   #137
New Boot

DVC30 ND filter

Can anyone explain how and when the "automatic" ND filter in the DVC30 is activated, and what the density is?

The Operating Instructions book only mentions it under specifications as: "ND filter - Interlocked with iris, ON/OFF switched automatically."

Is anyone using a screw-on ND filter on their DVC30? What density?

Douglas
Douglas Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 11:37 AM   #138
Wrangler

I don't know for sure, but suspect it's like the internal ND filters on many (if not most) newer design small chip cameras. My PDX-10 has the same sort of thing, although Sony doesn't even admit its existence.

The idea is to force you to shoot in the lens' "sweet spot" around the neighborhood of f4. As you decrease the iris opening in manual control you rather quickly reach a point where the iris stops closing and the camera automatically drops in progressively darker internal ND filters. The camera probably "lies" about this also (at least the PDX-10 does). It will say you're shooting at f11 for example, but in reality you're at (maybe) F5.6 plus an ND filter.

Tom Hardwick may have a few words on this topic, it's one of his favorite features ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 05:27 PM   #139
Trustee

Douglas,

Having an automatic ND filter on the DVC30 is about the only thing I don't like about this cam. I shoot a lot around water and snow where manual ND is a must. My solution was a set of ND screw on filters at various strengths. The DVC 30 uses 43mm filters so cost is reasonable. I use Hoya filters strength x2 and x4 and am a happy with this solution.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #140
Tourist

Turning on DVC30 when in Film Mode

If I power on my AG-DVC30 when it has previously been set into the psuedo-film mode (Scene Mode 4) it nearly always starts up with the LCD and viewfinder flickering and recording also comes out flickering.
If you change it back out of this scene mode and then back in everything is OK again.
Anyone experienced this or know why it happens or how to avoid it?
Alex Burge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #141
Major Player

See if hitting the reset button cures the trouble. It will reset your camera to defaults but then set it up in film mode again and turn it off and on. It might not flicker then.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #142
Tourist

I'll try that.
If I power on when it is set in any other Scene File it is fine.
It just seems to be Scene File 4 that is has problems with, as if it is taken by surprise that it is in Frame mode.
If I swap into scene file 4 from another when already powered on it never does this flickering it is purely when I power on when it is already selected.
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:33 AM   #143
Major Player

DVC30 suitability for training videos.

Hi Gang,

Longtime reader, first time poster (to this particular forum portion).

I have the opportunity to produce four 15 minute training videos for a co-worker/friend of mine.

He is a police officer and does training for private security firms. The videos would cover such elements as use of force training, arrest powers of private security personnel, private security and the criminal code, etc.

I had intended to use a DVX 100a but wonder if the DVC30 would be suitable for such a venture.

I ask because the DVC30 would put more money in my pocket for other equipment like better quality shotgun & wireless mics, a production monitor for my editing station, etc.

So what's the opinion?

Would the DVC30 give me solid footage? I can always get a DVX100a down the road.

FYI. I've been "filming" (yeah, I know. Indulge me ;-) ) local dance recitals and have quite a bit of time on rental GL2s and editing and the DVC30 paired with another would save me travelling to Toronto to rent my equipment.

This would be my first "corporate" gig and hopefully an in to similar work in the future.

Please note that I have a full-time job and that I do the video work as an outlet for my creative side. Simply put. I love creating, shooting & editing and the satisfaction of a job well done.

Thanks for listening.

sincerely,

ian
Ian Slessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:31 PM   #144
New Boot

Brand New DVC-30 with Hot Pixel

I just got my brand new DVC-30 and I've noticed a hot pixel right in the middle of the screen when I gain up. I am a little bummed.

How common does this seem on the DVC-30? B&H said they will exchange it with no problem, but I'm afraid of getting another bad one.

Has anyone else had experience with this problem?
Robert Loncaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #145
Regular Crew

Luck of the draw. Take B&H up on their offer. The alternative is to take it to an authorized service center to remap/program out the hot pixel or replace the CCD - under warranty.
Preston Herrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #146
Major Player

Hi Ian,
I see no one has responded to your question. Yes, the DVC30 would be an excellent choice for training videos. Actually, you could use the Panasonic GS400 and get high quality video if you wanted to save a few more bucks.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #147
Major Player

Hi Guy,

Thanks for the info. This is good news.

I don't think I'll go with the GS400 though as I'll also be doing dance recitals and I need the added control and features that the DVC30 provide.

Thanks again.

sincerely,

ian
Ian Slessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 03:20 AM   #148
Tourist

Still not fixed.

I tested this over the weekend and annoyingly it is very erratic. Sometimes when powering on the camera it is fine but more than 50% of the time it will start up flickering. I have found the quickest way to stop it is to change the File Scene back to File Scene 1 then back to 4.
Very annoying though as it means you can't start filming in Psuedo-Film mode quickly.
Old August 30th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #149
New Boot

I just sent mine back for a hot pixel, but while I had it I tested this out for you and mine definitely did not do that. I could start up in film mode all the time.
Robert Loncaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 06:20 PM   #150
New Boot

Replacement DVC-30 is here! LOVE IT!

First of all, I have to say that B&H is one of the classiest, best customer-focused on-line stores around. They exchanged my bad DVC-30 even though they could have sent me to Panasonic since it was a manufacturer's defect. I sent in mine overnight on a Wednesday morning; Friday morning my new camera arived.

I am so impressed with the video. I thought my PV-GS200 looked good, but this video I shot today looked so nice!

I struggled with the DVC/GL2 choice. I'm glad I stuck with the DVC!
Robert Loncaric is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant