AG-DVC30 various topics - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old March 7th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #76
Regular Crew

I have one of the earliest production models of the DVC30 (ser no B4TC00045 is February 2004 mfg, seq no 45). It took me a few weeks to adapt to it, and a few more to understand the manual controls, but since then I have been in heaven. Better picture quality than I could reasonably expect.

I use a Cokin A filter holder on the 43mm lens and I have a wide angle adapter with a 72mm thread. For that I use the Cokin P system. By using various adapters i get to use the same filters on my photo cameras.

I agree that the unmanaged ND filter is a terrible idea and one of my frequently used filters in each set is ND, as well as the circular polarizer to handle reflections.

I have a flare-buster (www.flarebuster.com) with some additional attachment hardware from the same firm to help control lens/filter flare.

My favorite (i.e. latest) toy is a copy of DVRack (www.seriousmagic.com) and an external hard drive for my laptop. Using this I can record direct to disk while also perfecting the camera settings (really, look up the calibration and Sure-Shot functions of DVRack) and monitoring dynamic range and color matching in real time. Awe inspiring! Then I move the external 2.5" hard drive from my laptop to my edit system and go. Very nice.

My cam batteries are from DVXuser.com - excellent quality (i.e. holds charge well and lasts as long as it is supposed to) and very very cheap.

Love the cam. Love the thread. Keep it up.
Chris Byrnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #77
Regular Crew

Cokin makes a "Bellows hood" very similar to a matte box, but cheaper and designed to use their filters. It is available in both A system and P system formates. The 43mm DVC30 lens would use the A system. One source is

http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/cokina.html

I do not have one, so cannot tell you strengths and weaknesses.
Chris Byrnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #78
Trustee

Chris,

That is a very early model. Mine is a C4TC00510. I would echo your statement about not having a managed ND filter as a weak point. But a screw on filter solves that. I use my DVC30 on Manfrotto 3221 legs and a 501 head.

If you have used other cams it takes a little while to get aclimated to the DVC30 but when once you get the hang of it, it is very intuitive. I hope to have mine mated to a firestore FS-4 soon. I am working on acquiring an attachment that should be more functional and cheaper than the $129.00 that Focus wants. As soon as I get it all together I will post a pic.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 11:18 PM   #79
Regular Crew

ok ok,
here the shots, very 1s day work, cinegamma everything(except 1 IR shot and a couple closet grabs hehe) manual WB, i think i also reduced the chroma, not sure bout detail - most likely its 0 (or deafult -2).

www.angelfire.com/indie/tomapete

I have a question thou for the xperienced users: in scene file 4, does changing Master Pedestal do anything?

Not sure if i wanna keep the camera. I hoped it would do better in low lite ((
Mike Sakovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:14 AM   #80
Obstreperous Rex

Leo

<< I agree with you on that it's very cold on the threads and conversations front regarding this camera... >>

We're working on getting the heat turned up around here.

The more you guys post, the warmer it gets!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 01:47 AM   #81
Major Player

my dvc30 is pretty standard right now all i've got for it is the AG-MYA30G - XLR Microphone Adapter and Mount and the AGMC100G XLR Microphone. However, I just order a 43-58mm step up ring from B&H and some filters as well as the WD-58H 58mm 0.7x wide angle lens. i wanted to up the filter and lens size so i don't get any vignetting when i stack filters, and also the canon wide angle was cheaper than the panny, also i had resale value in mind. But if when I get i find there is no need to go up to 58mm I'll just send it all right back. After I get everything I'll post some pics.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #82
Tourist

Just ordered the DVC30

Hey all, this is my first post to this forum. I will be visiting the DVX/DVC assistant quite a bit though. I just ordered the DVC 30 from B&H. I use highend cameras for school, but this is the first 3 chip camera that I bought. I've heard good things about it too.
Joel Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 05:06 PM   #83
Trustee

Congrats,

I hope you like it. I've had mine for 10 months and love it. Even if I got a higher end cam I would keep my DVC-30.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 07:56 AM   #84
New Boot

Finally, matte box problem solved.

Hello to all interested,

Since I shoot in the field 99% of the time, I have a special hard time with dust and spots on my lenses. Most times it will show back in the studio and the only solution will be to go back to re-shoot, this is not practical most times...

Didn't seem anybody else was after a matte box for their DVC-30 anyway (my camera) but, just in case, here's my solution:

-This is for the Leica lens-
Cavision 3 x 3 matte box with French Flag
58mm conical adapter -Cavision-
43mm to 52mm step up - " -
52mm to 58mm step up - " -

It has two 3 x 3 filter holders and one rotating.

Not too heavy and FF serves as lens cover if you put your camera away with it.

It's great !

I have made a routine of blowing compressed air over the lenses every time I shoot, just before shooting and wipe clean lenses very softlly once a day during shoots.

Obviouslly more cleaning is done if needed...

For those as green/newbys as me and taking footage in nature, I do recomend matte boxes and high resolution monitors, they save lots of trouble later....

I would post a photo of the rig but don't know how yet.

Regards, and hope this is of some use to somebody.

Leo
Leo Salazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #85
New Boot

Getting to Know It!

Joel -
I've had my DVC30 for about a week. It will be interesting to watch your reaction/progress and compare it to mine.

At this juncture, I am delighted with the camera. The initial learning curve was easy. The "Operating Instructions" were wordy but clear. Some sentences are a little convoluted but they are understandable.

What I am enjoying most is the ability to adjust picture quality. Camcorders for me have always been point-and-shoot; what the CAMERA wanted to do was what I got. So far, I LOVE the results I am getting with my DVC30!
Dan Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2005, 10:19 PM   #86
New Boot

How is it attached

Leo:

How have you attached the matte box? Are you using one of the rod systems made by Cavision?

Sounds like you are happy with it; I'd love to see how it looks.

The DVC30 is new to me but already I have had need of a polarizer filter and a graduated ND. As you know, none of the wide-angle lens accept screw-on filters. So where I could have gotten a very good shot I had to settle for poor to bad!

All of my round filters (for still cameras) are much larger than 43mm so it seems foolish to purchase rings just to attach them to the normal lens and still not be able to shoot wide angle.
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #87
New Boot

DVC-30 with Cavision 3x3 Matte Box

Hello Dan

The following link will open with a photo of my camera with the Cavision.

The rods system with the 3x3 only supports the hand grips, you actually attach the box to the lens with a conical adapter that screws to the lens thread and then held by the Matte Box itself.

The Panasonic wide angle attachment is 69mm in dia and attaches to the Cavision with a 70mm to 80mm adapter.

I actually wanted a camera that could be somewhat discrete, but after my problems with dust and specks and Matte boxes...I dont think even this little camera can be concealed well enough.

http://www.leosalazar.com/dvc30.htm

I already have a B&W polarixer, a graduated neutral .6 and a gold and black film look filter.

I like them all... but it's getting to be pretty expensive.

Regards

Leo
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #88
New Boot

DVC 30 photo

Hi Evan

Follow the link :

www.leosalazar.com/dvc30.htm

This is how mine looks these days

Looking forward to seeing your camera.

Leo
Old March 19th, 2005, 09:50 PM   #89
New Boot

Your set-up

Leo:

Thank you for the link. After I looked at the camera I took the liberty of looking around your site; very impressive! Your son has done an excellent job of presenting your work. Buen hecho!

I too was looking for an inconspicuous camera that would produce nearly broadcast quality video. However, people have noticed something different about the camera, even when I use it without anything attached to it. But you are correct Leo, there is NOTHING discreet or unobtrusive about your set-up. WOW!

Did you exchange e-mails with Cavision in order to get a matte box and all the hardware that would fit the DVC30? I don't see the camera (or specific products for it) listed anywhere on their web site. Last question, I promiss, did you order everything directly throught them?

Thanks for all your help Leo ... Muchas gracias - muy amable

Dan
Old March 20th, 2005, 07:07 AM   #90
New Boot

Cavision contact

Hi Dan

Thank you very much for the compliments to the web designer, he will appreciate it and so do I.

Glad you liked my work.

I e-mailed Cavision with my camera model and questioned as to matte box fit...

Jason Connors of Cavision answered all my questions with quite a lot of patience and knowledge and yes, I bought all I needed from them directly.

Jason is very polite and helpfull both via e-mail as on the phone.

For contact:
Jason Connors
Cavision Enterprises Ltd.
Tel: 604 298 9053
e-mail: jason@cavision.com

I got all my stuff well packed and pretty fast coming from Canada.

Hope it helps,

Regards

Leo
Leo Salazar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant