Color/Exposure Shift on GH2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 15th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Jeff - you helped me, I would be happy to help you. Feel free to ask me any question.
And maybe have a look at this:

Waldi Krasowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Very good, thanks Waldi. I'm going to watch this video this evening while I go step by step with him....but I can't really work with the EVF very well, my eyesight isn't so good for that, but I'm going to see what I can do!
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #18
Regular Crew

It does not matter if one uses EVF or LCD, they are identical and work both the same way.
PS
Not everything will work as on the video above (unless you attach a third party, MF legacy lens). However manual exposure correction and shutter/aperture will work the same.
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #19
Inner Circle

OK, I see. I am anxious for this evening when I can follow the video and a learn the step by step method of working with the camera, very good video...thanks so much for posting it.
Old February 15th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #20
Regular Crew

My pleasure. A guy in a video above is shooting pictures, but it applies to motion mode too.
Old February 15th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #21
Major Player

When i first had my GH2 colour change happened slightly but since setting my personal settings IE smooth
-1 sharpness -1 colour -1 etc it has not happened
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:40 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I've noticed that in a dim light or high iso - the color shift is much more visible. In a good light I almost see no difference.
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
It is also reference here in the second image from top, lower right. Panasonic DMC-GH2 Preview: 3. Operation and Controls: Digital Photography Review
For me it is inconvenient to use it by touching LCD screen, so I use a physical rear dial instead. If manual mode is set (Menu/Motion picture/Exposure mode=M) the rear dial brings you to the aperture and shutter control. Push/click the rear dial and you switch from shutter control to aperture control. Do it again and you are back on shutter. Turning the rear dial to left or right changes the shutter speed or aperture. Observe the Exposure indicator (bottom middle of LCD) as it tells you how is your exposure at the moment, at a chosen shutter/aperture (and iso) combination. If underexposed you will see something like this:
"-3||||||0"
or if overexposed:
"0||....+3"

When your exposure is correct (due to what GH2 thinks is "correct"), exp. indicator turns into a little square diagonally divided, with +/-. Also the histogram turns white (instead of orange). So it is easy to get correct exposure by choosing any shutter/aperture that way. But to change iso - you must click the iso button (up arrow).

PS. I have been a long time photographer and I've been confused when I started to deal with videography, because of slightly different names and terms. So if you have no photography background please note: the exposure in photography is based on EV values (GH2 follows the same way). And 1EV value is like one F-stop of aperture (or a shutter). When you close aperture by 1 stop - you cut out 1EV of light. When you change shutter speed from 1/120 to 1/60 - you add 1EV more of light. In video terminology when amount of brightness is concerned the 1EV step is similar to about 4.5 Gain (approx.). And 100iso is 1EV less than 200iso, 2EV less than 400iso, 3EV less than 800iso etc. So respectively: when 100iso is like about 0 Gain so 800iso is like about +13.5 Gain (as 3EV = 3x 4.5 Gain more). And so on...

Hope it helps.
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #24
Major Player

I was looking at that evf video and as he change the shutter or iso, the evf does not change in brightness, is this how this camera supposed to work? if so this is crazy because I was about to get one but if the lcd or evf does not give real time feed back, there is no way I'm can use it.
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Khoi - you need to set first: Menu/CUSTOM/page4/CONSTANT PREVIEW = ON to be able to see how it affects an image in a picture mode. In movie mode you see it anyway.
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #26
Major Player

Ok thanks, I didn't think that the camera could be so popular if it didn't have realtime feedback.
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #27
New Boot

Here is a quick test I shot w/ my iPhone4, pay close attention to the 1st 1/2 second and the histogram

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3078363/willis/GH2-Shift.MOV
Willis Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 02:12 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Willis - your screen looks quite good, it doesn't go green as much as mine, yours go just a bit darker after you pressed Record. What were your presets? Color profile like Cinema, Standard or what? Was "constant preview" set to ON?
Old February 21st, 2011, 02:42 AM   #29
New Boot

Re: Color/Exposure Shift on GH2

yes it was set to on, my image settings were on SMOOTH, everything on -2, except for noise reduction.

I went to SAMY's CAMERAS the other day to test out their GH2 over there, their GH2's histogram (while recording) still covers the very left portion, even though it does darken the image while recording... however on my histogram, it's completely empty on the very left.
Willis Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 02:48 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Re: Color/Exposure Shift on GH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis Chung View Post
I went to SAMY's CAMERAS the other day to test out their GH2 over there, their GH2's histogram (while recording) still covers the very left portion, even though it does darken the image while recording... however on my histogram, it's completely empty on the very left.
So it seems some GH2 do have "shift histogram" issue, and some do not..? That's very strange!

Mine histogram jumps to the right (if I start recording), leaving some empty space on a very left, but image becomes darker on LCD... However, despite of that, the exposure is just right - I mean as right as I want it to be. The highlights blink on LCD exactly at the same point where they start to be clipped on a footage. At least one feature we can rely on :)
Waldi Krasowski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series