Press Release: Panasonic Announces 4K Mirrorless DMC-GH4 - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 27th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #151
Major Player

Re: Press Release: Panasonic Announces 4K Mirrorless DMC-GH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tibbetts View Post
What's interesting about the Zacuto video is that between roughly 9:50 and 10:00 he claims the camera can output 4K though the mini-hdmi port on the camera. I hadn't hear this before now.
Supposedly the video stream to the YAGH audio/video interface unit is sent via the mini-HDMI, which has a locking mechanism.

Last edited by Lawrence Bansbach; March 27th, 2014 at 12:54 PM.
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #152
Regular Crew

The 4K output via the mini-hdmi has been mentioned earlier, I think. It will be one interesting options of the GH4 to use external recorders for both HD but also 4K - even with the mini-hdmi what is not great really but what is possible.

Wolfgang
http://videotreffpunkt.com
http://www.vegasvideo.de/forum
Wolfgang Schmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #153
Regular Crew

Here is the best low light 4096 4K GH4 video I have seen yet, download the 1GB file and view on the biggest display you have. It looks fantastic on my 30" 2560x1600 monitor using VLC player on Windows 8.1.

Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #154
Trustee

Joe, yes, indeed it is very nice. Probably the sharpest GH4 example we've seen yet.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 05:06 AM   #155
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned here already but on vimeo, see video below (check out the 4k downloadable file) the creator of the video confirms that the screen info doesn't disappear anymore like on the gh3,

GH4 first 4K shots in Paris (Pre Serial Camera with Beta Firmware) on Vimeo
I just read an article where they are testing the camera and there is stated that the info on the screen first dims after a few seconds and then disappears like on the gh3, so nothing changed it appears. I just asked the shooter of that video I referred to earlier if there is a setting in camera to control this, so lets see what that other shooter has to say about it.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 08:26 AM   #156
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ogiba View Post
Here is the best low light 4096 4K GH4 video I have seen yet, download the 1GB file and view on the biggest display you have. It looks fantastic on my 30" 2560x1600 monitor using VLC player on Windows 8.1.
It looked absolutely amazing via my AppleTV at 1080p.

Except for workflow issues for myself, not being able to play it back and edit the footage smoothly on my aging computer and long(er) rendering times, this camera is incredibly compelling.

The debate for me is if and when Canon might offer 4K video recording in a future DSLR for the enthusiast and hobbyist at near this price point.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 09:04 AM   #157
Trustee

And if Canon doesn't respond, they will be left in the dust...as they should be if they don't give shooters 4K options.

The benefits of 4K are impossible to deny now that we've seen what cameras like the AX1, AX100 and GH4 can do.
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:27 AM   #158
Major Player

Hi

But they can't do anymore than low YouTube frame-rates currently.

4K needs to be 60fps, and these current models will be replaced with true UHD models just as soon as new silicon comes off the production lines.

Caveat emptor, these are not UHD camcorders, they are 4K capturing a fast moving slide show, not all footage will suit them. Most consumers used to video frame-rates are going to be disappointed.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 12:09 PM   #159
Inner Circle

FDR-AX1 is true QFHD, 60P at 150Mbps. Of course it can also shoot 30P at 60Mbps or 100Mbps if you like the slow frame rates.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 06:57 AM   #160
Trustee

The target audience that is buying these early 4K camcorders like the AX100 (and they are that despite the frame rate), are video enthusiasts and prosumers and contrary to what a postet said, they're delighted.

A test that was just conducted on anothet site showed the AX00 was more resolved and sharper than the BMC 4K camera. There was detail visible in these A/Bs on the AX100 that wasn't visible on the BM. The tester was shocked. He was also surprised that by softening detail on the 100, he could successfully grade and mix the two cameras. Now to be fair, he felt the BM was a 'stronger' camera, but it's also twice the price when you factor in a lens.

BTW, the tester is keeping the AX100 and using it for his persoonal use.

So, disappointed? Hardly! :)
Old April 1st, 2014, 01:49 PM   #161
Regular Crew

Old April 2nd, 2014, 11:52 AM   #162
Major Player

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
FDR-AX1 is true QFHD, 60P at 150Mbps. Of course it can also shoot 30P at 60Mbps or 100Mbps if you like the slow frame rates.

Ron Evans
Thanks Ron for the info.

I'm waiting for 4K at 60fps in a more consumer friendly format. It will happen in the next 12 months if not sooner, in the meantime I'll probably go for the GH4 and use the high bit-rate 1080P.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 06:50 PM   #163
Regular Crew

Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:20 AM   #164
Regular Crew

Old April 3rd, 2014, 01:04 PM   #165
Trustee

In the sets where the AX100 was involved, it's clearly resolving more detail than the others. The big question to me is whether, in the case of the GH4, was it optimally set for maximum detail or a more dreamy like look?

On the subject of color, I wouldn't even begin to compare since the gradings were all over the place.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series