Press Release: Panasonic Announces 4K Mirrorless DMC-GH4 - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 10th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #241
Major Player

Re: Press Release: Panasonic Announces 4K Mirrorless DMC-GH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Went to the beach yesterday and shot some random stuff . . .
I found this stunning. The compositions were flawless. Even the heat shimmers were nuanced. All exposures must have been graded, because they all seem appropriate for the subject matter. Which proves that in the right hands, niggling details (and I'm not saying there are any here) and minor camera shortcomings are dwarfed by talent and skill. Well done, Noa!
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #242
Inner Circle

Here's something not stunning and not flawless. ;)

My son happened to have a GH4 with him on the 5th of July, which was when we could get family together. We had a box of 100 rockets and seven 2-inch mortars for our "Grand Finale", which we lit off in the driveway.

In Washington State, this stuff is legal. You buy it from any number of sales tents in various parking lots. My next door neighbor and his family were with us - and he's a county sheriff. :)

I don't know the camera settings, except that it was shot in 4K and used the internal mic. The lens was too long, the tripod didn't tilt high enough, and the audience was impatient, so he shot it handheld.

I don't know what this tells us about the camera - nothing will capture poorly framed handheld fireworks well. Anyway, here's how it performs in terrible conditions. It didn't blow up. :)

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:21 AM   #243
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bansbach View Post
All exposures must have been graded, because they all seem appropriate for the subject matter.
I was actually not that happy when I returned home viewing the footage but glad you still liked it anyway :) This was not a camera error but one of mine not knowing how the very flat cine-d would affect the data in the histogram and I clearly misinterpreted it. I was however impressed how easily the footage was corrected by lifting it using the yuv curve in edius so yes, there every shot you see in the video has been corrected to get the exposure back to what it should be.

Quote:
Just wondering how you are finding the GH4 compared to your EX3 in low light
I have done a side by side comparison 2 weeks ago in a very dark venue at 6400 iso and eventhough both display a fair amount of noise the GH4 looks much cleaner on a 1080p timeline, probably because the noise is much smaller as well. I have found 6400 iso on the gh4 in 4K on a 1080p timeline is perfectly usable for my purposes without having to use neatvideo.

When I then add my Olympus 12mm at f2.0 the room is brighter then what I can see with my own eyes, add the advantage of having a deeper dof at f2.0 (compared to a full frame camera with a similar lens) and the fact you can shoot "clean" enough footage at 6400 iso then it can handle any dark situation at a wedding. Will it equal the sony a7s light sensitivity? Absolutely not, but it will enable to you to shoot in a way like you would perceive it with you own eyes (and not make day out of night what the a7s can do but what is the point of that anyway? Some say shooting at very high iso's will enable you a more manageable depth of field by using a higher f-stop but that advantage you have with m4/3 already)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 04:27 AM   #244
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I don't know the camera settings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I don't know what this tells us about the camera
Not much if you don't know what has been going on behind the lens :) The footage is very shaky so he must have used a non stabilised lens?
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series