Press Release: Panasonic Announces 4K Mirrorless DMC-GH4 - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 15th, 2014, 03:30 AM   #181
Regular Crew

Re: Press Release: Panasonic Announces 4K Mirrorless DMC-GH4

Well done, Mark.
Old May 15th, 2014, 03:54 AM   #182
Inner Circle

Looks very nice indeed, great color and sharpness, did you shoot in 4k or 1080p?
Here the gh4 is still not available in stores.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 06:40 AM   #183
Trustee

Thanks. It was shot in 1080p. My NLE will not handle 4k. I think shooting in 1080p 200 Mbps looks good enough that I will pass on down converting from 4k for a while.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #184
Major Player

Anyone seen any 4K clips yet from the GH4 yet? Vimeo as far as I know limited to 1080p. YouTube can do 4K.

All the 1080p stuff I've seen off the GH4, some very nice like the above, doesn't look that much different to similar off the GH3. Not different enough to make me take the GH4 (and ancillaries) plunge.

Dunno whether the higher bit rate by itself will make all that much difference. Footage straight off my nanoFlash and XLH1 or EX3 looks the same whether at 50mbps or 200mbps.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 08:14 AM   #185
Major Player

Found some! On YouTube by a bloke called Brian Harvey. Shot in Yucatan, professionally shot I must say with a bag of lenses, mini-helicopter thingie, sliders etc .

Looks v good even on this iMac which "only" about 2.5K.

Ron
Old May 26th, 2014, 04:14 AM   #186
Inner Circle

I just saw below gh4 video which is one of the better I have seen so far, you can also download a higher rez copy, there are already many gh4 user videos appearing on vimeo but have to say not many impress me, when I look at below sample however, eventhough he used a anamorphic adapter, I can only conclude that the output quality depends a lot on tweaking the presets.

Lots of people post videos in that 96fps mode which I am tired of seeing by now and with many videos I saw poor dynamic range and handheld shots which displayed some kind of jitter/wobbly kind of effect. In his handheld shots around the 50 second mark you can see what I mean and it seems to be worse in 4k compared to 1080p and especially on longer focal ranges. As I understood this has to do with the fact that in 4k you get a worse rolling shutter?

Anyways, looking at below footage I can see it is a very capable camera, only needs the right kind of tweaking to get the most of it.

Edit: just watched the download version, ik looks impressive on my 21:9 1080p monitor, lots of detail in there.

Old May 27th, 2014, 03:05 PM   #187
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Jackson View Post
Anyone seen any 4K clips yet from the GH4 yet? Vimeo as far as I know limited to 1080p. YouTube can do 4K.

All the 1080p stuff I've seen off the GH4, some very nice like the above, doesn't look that much different to similar off the GH3. Not different enough to make me take the GH4 (and ancillaries) plunge.

Dunno whether the higher bit rate by itself will make all that much difference. Footage straight off my nanoFlash and XLH1 or EX3 looks the same whether at 50mbps or 200mbps.

Ron
My buddy just put this up the other day- Vimeo at 1080, Youtube for the 4K version. I've worked with him with this camera at 1080 once and it's pretty impressive. Wish I made more money on video to make it worth the purchase, but it does look good. Look in the comments for his settings used for shooting this- and yes, it is graded footage.

--Ben
Old May 27th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #188
Major Player

That's better!
Old May 27th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #189
Regular Crew

what are the 2 holes in the front of YAGH unit
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 01:30 AM   #190
Major Player

What external recorders are compatible with the GH4's 4K output? I know the Convergent Design "Odyssey" isn't but what is?

I'm about (I think) to have to replace two damaged SWIT monitors. Handy if this could be with one that is a recorder/monitor combined.

Ron
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #191
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I just saw below gh4 video which is one of the better I have seen so far, you can also download a higher rez copy, there are already many gh4 user videos appearing on vimeo but have to say not many impress me, when I look at below sample however, eventhough he used a anamorphic adapter, I can only conclude that the output quality depends a lot on tweaking the presets.

Lots of people post videos in that 96fps mode which I am tired of seeing by now and with many videos I saw poor dynamic range and handheld shots which displayed some kind of jitter/wobbly kind of effect. In his handheld shots around the 50 second mark you can see what I mean and it seems to be worse in 4k compared to 1080p and especially on longer focal ranges. As I understood this has to do with the fact that in 4k you get a worse rolling shutter?

Anyways, looking at below footage I can see it is a very capable camera, only needs the right kind of tweaking to get the most of it.

Edit: just watched the download version, ik looks impressive on my 21:9 1080p monitor, lots of detail in there.

Panasonic GH4 Anamorphic YOKOHAMA on Vimeo
Didn't really like his grading. Colors looked off and flat and overall it seemed to have a washed out look to it. I viewed this in 4K and the detail was OK.

I'll say this, unlike many GH4 videos I've seen, the colors were not over-saturated with orangey skin tones.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:32 AM   #192
Inner Circle

It won't be a look I would use at a wedding because all my other camer'a s would have to match which would be too difficult and maybe impossible to achieve, but for projects where I can just use one camera I could see myself using his color presets, all ax100 footage I have seen so far looks a lot like the footage my cx730 produces and while it's close to reality it has that distinct video look which I don't like that much. I do prefer images with a bit more character, with my fruits de mer video (vimeo.com/73974687) I shot with the gh3 I used old tamron adaptall lenses and the images are not as sharp and don't have that same deep richer colour that my panasonic lenses have, yet I much prefer the look of that video, just like I much prefered the look of that YOKOHAMA video shot with the gh4 over anything I have seen from the ax100 so far.
Old May 30th, 2014, 05:43 AM   #193
Trustee

Yeah, I'm not much in to stylized videos, they don't do much for me. I much prefer the doc style, look of reality, with as much detail as I can get. If I was doing Indie type work, I might think differently.

Of course if I want to play with a look later, I've got plenty of ways to alter the AX100 image in post. But for my style, I always try to get an image that's closest to how my eyes saw it.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 06:16 AM   #194
Inner Circle

The biggest advantage the gh4 has is that you have a lot of control over your image right in camera. An 8 bit image does fall apart much quicker in post so you would have the most benefit getting it right from the start. For some shoots where you would have to shoot high contrast scenes with very bright sun a very dark shadows the gh4 will give a you a lot more flexibility getting more detail out of the shadows and prevent the highlights from blowing out.
Old May 30th, 2014, 09:27 AM   #195
Trustee

Really have not had much problem with high contrast scenes with the AX100. I had the GH4 for a while, but felt even with the color lowered to -2, it was still too saturated.

To get the accuracy I want, the GH4 required more work in post even with the greater in-camera adjustments. To my eyes the Sony gets it right from the get go.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series