HVX200 & Mac Combo - Who's Taking that Route? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 10th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #76
Major Player

I just can't take the MAC route. I am confident that PC programs will have a solid solution for DVCPRO-HD in the coming weeks.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old January 12th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Well, I'm definitely going to get one, I'm just waiting for MWSF to make sure I don't get stuck with an EOL product. I might just go for a 1gb Mini to tide me over until I see how the other platforms shake out, or maybe I'll just jump for the dual. But I'd hate to plunk down for something today and then find out next week that the Mini is now a quad G5 for $800, y'know? :)

I figure that Apple has easily the most robust implementation so far, since they've had a 20-month head start.... But yes, I'll definitely pick up a Mac something-or-other, probably next week...
Just wanted to see what route you decided to take since MacWorld San Francisco???
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #78
Trustee

AJA Video Kona 3

Did you see the update on Kona product line, Kona 3?

Internal HD/SD live hardware keyer is added.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #79
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito
Did you see the update on Kona product line, Kona 3?

Internal HD/SD live hardware keyer is added.
Oooooooooooh. Aaaaaaaaaaaaah....

Well, that answers the Blackmagic vs. AJA debate for me.

And with the added features of the Kona3, it looks like I'm going to go for the Mac+AJA+FCS+Shake for my new video solution. PC solutions are just too scattered and incoherent these days. Rather frustrating, really...

...Now I must try to hold out for the Intel based PowerMacs. I may just buy a new Intel iMac to get FCP up and running with the HVX200 and tide me over for a few months.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #80
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek West
Just wanted to see what route you decided to take since MacWorld San Francisco???
Got FCP, just trying to figure out what to install it on. Looks like the new powerbooks and the new imacs are pointless for a "today" solution (which is what I'm looking for) since they won't run FCP for a good few months. And I don't want to go with a current powerbook and see its value plummet when the new ones are out. So... correct me if I'm wrong, but -- looks like the dual G5 is the only rational choice available for a right-now solution, right?
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #81
Regular Crew

that's right Barry.

I took the decision one month ago.
It works great, plenty of real time and render power.

It is rthe safest investment right now i think...

****edit....I bought a Quad
Antoine Fabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #82

Quote:
looks like the dual G5 is the only rational choice available for a right-now solution, right?
Congrat's Barry! But why do you want the Dual instead of the Quad? I'm sure you have reason that I may have missed elsewhere. Thanks. Either way, I'm sure you will be happy. I've had my Dual 2.7 for about 6 months now and it's been great!
Old January 12th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #83
Major Player

Quote:
Got FCP, just trying to figure out what to install it on. Looks like the new powerbooks and the new imacs are pointless for a "today" solution (which is what I'm looking for) since they won't run FCP for a good few months. And I don't want to go with a current powerbook and see its value plummet when the new ones are out. So... correct me if I'm wrong, but -- looks like the dual G5 is the only rational choice available for a right-now solution, right?

You're thinking right Barry.
I've got 3 studios and offices all Mac based and between the move to HD and the new Intel evolution it means reconfiguring virtually dozens of software programs and hardware options.

It makes my head hurt when I think about the audio post and music suite just upgraded to MOTU 4.6 and all the graphic design and animation stuff from PS to Quark, Motion to Shake that all have to be ported to the new Intel paradigm - and I was just about to get all new Quads.

Anyway, because it looks like, maybe by spring/summer hardware and software systems will all be transitioned, and because I don't want to get 5 Quads just to have new Intel Quads announced in 3 months, the smart investment would be to look at dual 2.7 G5s as an interim upgrade.

The prices will be good and they're very fast and running everything perfectly now including FCP HD in real time for both P2 and most HDV configurations.

You may find the Dual 2.7 plenty for your needs for a while to come.
In my audio room it can run 48 channel mixing console with full effects procesing on every channel at 44k 24 bit and things lile FCP and Motion fly on them.

Oh and you'll love designing in Motion and working in Soundtrack Pro, LiveType and DVD Studio Pro. The audio loops, SFX and visual content that comes packaged with them and FCP Studio are pretty great.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #84
Major Player

I don't think this has been mentioned on this thread yet, but Sonnet announced a PCIe SATA card with port multiplication and a 5 drive bay enclosure that works with it. I'm not seeing it on their store yet, but it's supposed to ship in Feb. More waiting, but at least it's announced.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_sata_e4p.html

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fusion500p.html

Could get 2TB of RAID storage for a QuadCore G5 for about $2k (400GB drives).

Variations on drive use for redundancy and backup is pretty flexible as well. Say 1TB RAID on Bay 1/2 on 500GB drives, 1TB backup on 3/4, and use Bay 5 to swap archival drives.
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #85
Trustee

Quote:
Wow, Barry,

welcome.
Old January 12th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #86
Rextilleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito
Wow, Barry,

welcome.

Listening to Jobs I got the sense that they don't actually have firm committments from developers (except MS) to port to the Intel based Macs. He actually was trying to encourage them to get a move on it. He also promised that by the end 2006 all Macs would have the Intel processor.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #87
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mintzer
Listening to Jobs I got the sense that they don't actually have firm committments from developers (except MS) to port to the Intel based Macs. He actually was trying to encourage them to get a move on it. He also promised that by the end 2006 all Macs would have the Intel processor.
That is the reason why Apple made the dual core G5 is so affordable.
This migration is probably not as drastic as OSX being Unix based, but it is very exhausting for developers. And Apple always has the lead in developing key application software, then companies like Adobe gets tired of that. When a software developer can hold its competitiveness against Apple (like what happened on Premiere for Mac), he would be dropping out. We have fabulous dual core G5 to play with for at least a year, and the board like AJA Kona LHe or Kona 3 would be migrated to IntelMac. You can use dual core G5 when you switch to IntelMac to the second computer or a server. You might spare some needs of server since all of your HVX200 footage will be all data files.
Old January 12th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #88

If this is not appropriate for this thread, you guys let me know and I'll remove it. But while we're on the subject of buying a Dual or Quad - If any of you want a deal on a Dual 2.7 with 6 gig of Apple RAM and the NVIDIA GEFORCE 6800 GT DDL CARD, I'll be happy to sell mine and upgrade to a Quad and use it through 2006 until I see what's happening in 2007. I'll post a link to the classified section with details shortly. Once again, if any of you feel that this is an "off topic" or "not in good taste" to post this let me know and I'll edit it out. But I think this could be good for someone that would like to save some money on a nice and loaded dual 2.7.

EDIT (8:53 p.m.) -
I should have a price figured out on Friday. I was unable to reach the DVinfo.net sponsor that I do business with, as he's at MacWorld!!! I was going to get a "selling for new today" price on the above configuration and then base my price from there. Feel free to contact me via email until then if you have an interest. Thank you.

EDIT (1/13/06 - 2:43 p.m.) -
Decided not to sell. Too much trouble for too little time with all these changes in the air.

Last edited by Guest; January 13th, 2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #89
Major Player

Quote:
That's kinda what I'm thinking... I like the quads, but I think the extra money might be wasted on the system and better spent elsewhere since the new Intel boxes should be only a few months away. As for the new Intel MacBook and iMac models, they may not be a pointless "today" solution. OK, they are for *TODAY*, but most of us won't see our HVX200 until mid to late February. FCP is supposed to be shipping with Intel support by mid-March. So a MacBook or Intel iMac may not be a bad interim solution. You can also bet that some vendors with extra stock may run some specials or package discounts... We won't see any wild deals just yet and Apple still has a fair degree of control over pricing, but system/software bundles are a real possibility, especially once the new Intel systems to replace the PowerMac are announced.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 02:08 AM   #90
Regular Crew

Hey guys - just my call on it and fwiw - don't be lured into the iMac - it always has been crippled for expansion.

atm - right now - the pb is it. <smack> I mean MacBook Pro or an "old" pb that still has fw 800 and pcmcia, or a G5 dualie or quad new or second hand.

I love the iMacs - great machines, great value - no good for us.
Ok for dv, you can get by with fw 400 and so are the iBooks - fine for dv.

For anything else other than dv - your goose is cooked and you cooked it.
NO EXPANSION ...

don't want to see you guys come over to the Mac and realise oopps, wrong choice ... that's an expensive introduction.
Rob McCardle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders