HVX200 & Mac Combo - Who's Taking that Route? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 6th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Lohbauer
Hi All:

Add me to your HVX/Mac user list. I ordered my HVX with five 4 GB cards Dec 1st... who knows when I'll get it.

I have a Dual 2 GHz G5 with 4 GB RAM running FCP 5 Studio. I installed a 1 TB WiebeTech G5 Jam RAID in it to handle the HD material.

I also have a 1.67 GHz PowerBook w/2 GB RAM to take in the field.

Many thanks to Kaku Ito for all that great footage to play with...but I just have to know if the cell phone survived the fall from the pocket of the bike rider? (oh the sacrifices we make for our art!).
Paul, the cell phone was damaged twice. On Yugo's sequence, he fell on his butt that is the first time he damaged it, and that is when his rear pocket ripped (didn't realize that time) and then for the cell phone whip clip, it fell from the ripped pocket and splattered on the road. The cover and the battery scattered, but it was okay, it worked. However, he just purchased the cell phone not too long ago......amen
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #32
Major Player

add me to the list!

i've got an outstanding order from b&h for the hvx200
(and the $6k american express bill to prove it!)

i did not order the p2 cards

based upon barry green's various declarations (thanks again barry) i'm hoping to use my powerbook in the field as the recording mechanism going from the hvx200 via firewire right into the powerbook.

once in the pb, i'm planning to move the footage (or is it now data!) into a brand new dual 2.0 (2005 tax incentive) with a fresh, yet uninstalled fcp suite.

now all i have to do is learn the camera AND fcp.

sure sign me up.

my 1st mac was an se many digital years ago.

be well

rob katz
harvest films
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sepaniak
Derek: I definitely have an order placed for an HVX 200. That is the reason I decided to go with the G5 & FCP.
Bill-
Sorry about that. Great! Thanks for letting me know so quickly, I was still able to edit post #23. Actually, I think I'll go ahead and edit it to reflect today's changes so far as well.

WOW, 10+ so far just within this community. That will be a great start!

Last edited by Guest; January 6th, 2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Katz
i've got an outstanding order from b&h for the hvx200
(and the $6k american express bill to prove it!)

i did not order the p2 cards

based upon barry green's various declarations (thanks again barry) i'm hoping to use my powerbook in the field as the recording mechanism going from the hvx200 via firewire right into the powerbook.

once in the pb, i'm planning to move the footage (or is it now data!) into a brand new dual 2.0 (2005 tax incentive) with a fresh, yet uninstalled fcp suite.

now all i have to do is learn the camera AND fcp.

sure sign me up.

my 1st mac was an se many digital years ago.

be well

rob katz
harvest films
rob,

I think that will be too much trouble tho.
I took my PowerBook G4 12 inch around with AG-HVX200 and try to do something with it, but I ended up shooting with P2 and copy files to iPod 60GB. The camera is made to flip around and shoot, so something large connected via wire does not make you move around free.
I don't think via firewire you can record streams directly from camara like you can in DV mode, can it? Don't think so. Only way to use HVX200 and the PowerBook G4 is to use P2 card to transfer files, or boot up FCP and transfer files from P2 inside of HVX200, or make the PowerBook as target mode (could be very dangerous, I had to format my iPod to make it work for HVX200, thus not working as iPod at this point) and make the HVX200 as the host and powerbook as a firewire drive.

Only other option is to get something like Cineporter, Firestore or Citidisk that connects to the P2 card slot to do the direct recording.
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #35

I'm going to FOR SURE get 1 4gig card and perhaps 2. While I was researching I had thought about just getting the camera and exporting directly to my G5 for two reasons. One, to save money. Two, to see what I thought of the camera. But recent developments within the last two weeks have altered that plan:

1) Seeing Kaku's footage
2) Selling my XL2
3) Reading about Barry's & and a DVXser.com user "SpinFight" opinons on how great the P2 workflow is.
4) Realizing that I can use P2 to capture just about any format I'd be interested in, from SD to HD according to Panasonic's chart. Here's the chart for easy reference:
http://www.thisis24p.com/panasonic.html

I might eventually get more 4gig's or an 8gig, but in my opinion, too many things are happening with hardware developments and pricing changes too quickly for me to commit too much of my money at this early point.
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek West
I'm going to FOR SURE get 1 4gig card and perhaps 2. While I was researching I had thought about just getting the camera and exporting directly to my G5 for two reasons. One, to save money. Two, to see what I thought of the camera. But recent developments within the last two weeks have altered that plan:

1) Seeing Kaku's footage
2) Selling my XL2
3) Reading about Barry's & and a DVXser.com user "SpinFight" opinons on how great the P2 workflow is.
4) Realizing that I can use P2 to capture just about any format I'd be interested in, from SD to HD according to Panasonic's chart. Here's the chart for easy reference:
http://www.thisis24p.com/panasonic.html

I might eventually get more 4gig's or an 8gig, but in my opinion, too many things are happening with hardware developments and pricing changes too quickly for me to commit too much of my money at this early point.
Now that I have two 4GB P2 cards, the space runs out very quick. As not much things I shoot, I'm backing up the data to iPod 60GB very often. So if you folks are buying the cards (not like 2 4GB P2 cards are bundled free like me), I would recommend to buy one 8GB card for now, reserve the slot for connecting a cineporter.
Old January 6th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #37

iPod & Cineporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito
So if you folks are buying the cards (not like 2 4GB P2 cards are bundled free like me), I would recommend to buy one 8GB card for now, reserve the slot for connecting a cineporter.
I had not thought about this. Since I may not be the only one and others might be wondering the same. I started this thread where we can talk more about these two storage options. -

Cineporter vs. iPod
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=57620
Old January 6th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #38
Go Go Godzilla

Hi Derek,

Here's my Mac setup:

- Quad-core G5 w/ 8GB RAM
- 30" inch Apple Cinema Display
- (1) WD 74GB Raptor (10,000rpm) for the main drive
- (1) WD 400GB 16MB cache Internal for misc save files
- (5) OWC 500GB Mercury Elite Aluminum Firewire 800 drives (16mb cache each)
- AJA Kona LH for real-time monitoring to an NTSC monitor of the DVCPRO-HD content. (Thanks to Kaku for your recommendation of the AJA card vs. Blackmagic, by the way.)
- FCP5/Studio
- Stereo Sound monitoring on B&W DM600 S3's & Velodyne Sub all powered from a Niles amp
- Peak Pro 5 for sound editing
- Photoshop CS2 for stills editing
- Kinemac for 3D rendered clips

To maximize throughput on the system here's how I've setup the drive assignments:

- Apps and the OS live on the ultra-fast Raptor
- FC Project files, Thumbnail and Waveform cache on the 2nd Internal drive
- Video Render - external #1
- Audio Render - external #2
- A and B roll clips transferred from HVX - external #3
- Stills, sound files, scene extras, and 3D renders - external #4
- Final output for FCP and DVD SP 4 - external #5

The only thing my system is missing is a dedicated Firewire 800 PCI-e card, which as of yet none is available for the Quad G5. I posted a quick note on the forum about the SIIG card not working in the Quad G5 - they did not have a Quad to test with, so their techs are working on creating a new version. LaCie hasn't even mentioned creating their version of a PCI-e card yet. Until one becomes available my ultra-fast externals are being knocked down to less than FW400 speed. I can't tell you how much I hate that.

Now if I can just get the HVX in my hands to start testing... (^_^)
Old January 6th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Derek - count me in the fence sitting camp atm.

I'm Mac the whole way -but I do have a couple of old PC's for other stuff.

Still reviewing. It will be months before they release the Pal version, so I've got time.
Love the workflow - a bit concerned about P2 and future technological developments.
Things I read like, PCMCIA may be on the way out, that sort of thing ...

I'm an old fart and do like to look at the big picture and try to position myself accordingly, but that's just me ...

edit: I'm also in the process of planning to build a whole new rig that will be based on the new Mactels. This rig, if I do it right , will carry me for the next 2-4 years.

Considering that we have no idea what Apple will incorporate into them - it's a little grey. Anyone want some PCI - PCI X cards ? lol

This year is going to be very interesting .... money to be made - and lost.

Atm - I'm covered and the HVX would fit into my existing systems well.

Last edited by Rob McCardle; January 6th, 2006 at 12:26 PM.
Rob McCardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 11:42 AM   #40
Trustee

I don't know if you can count this as a "me too" but I will be tinkering with HVX and FCP on MAC-MINI. It really doesn't have the horse power but it lets me dabble until a PC solutioin comes out. I am really hoping I don't fall in love with this as I just can't afford to switch over to a full blown MAC workstation right now.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Hi

I'm in the Mac/200 camp too. Ordered my 200 at the beginning of the week based on Kaku's test footage, editing in FCP... burning DVD's (HD and SD) in DVD SP.

It all worked on my 15" G4 laptop ... and cruised in the G5 edit suites.

There's just too many workflow efficiencies and options to say no at this point.

(and I was very close to going with an XL-2....)

Since I have no use for uncompressed HD from the HD XL1 this is just a dream combination. (at least in my head ... I'm sure there'll be many 'adventures' ahead as always ;-))

Lee
Lee Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob McCardle
Derek - count me in the fence sitting camp atm...
Atm - I'm covered and the HVX would fit into my existing systems well.
Rob, your comment is a great suggestion. I'm sure there are plenty of others who like the HVX200 and feel pretty good about using an HVX200/Mac combo, but are not 100% there yet. I think the "fence sitting" category would be a great one to add. I'll do so above (in post #23), and will also do in the future.

SO, if you:
1) like the HVX200
2) like the Mac
3) like the workflow of 1 & 2 together

... BUT would like to see more footage and how things develop before you spend any more money on either/or, feel free to post here as well. Just let us all know you're "Fence Sitting."

Rob, sorry to ask, I got the "fence sitting camp," but what's "atm"?
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Either -
Auto Teller Machine or
At The Moment.

Depending on context - engrish being what is these days it can be hard to tell ...
Rob McCardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #44
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek West
Rob, sorry to ask, I got the "fence sitting camp" but what's "atm?'
I'll take a stab and guess that "atm" means at the moment.

FCP is the best solution at the moment and may continue to be. But the reality is it just may not be an option for a lot of people. there was so much talk about all the extra expenses that you have going to HD especially with the HVX. For those with a PC based editing system in place I think we all thought bigger Hard drives or RAIDS and HD monitor and backup solutions and RT HD output cards.

The truth is if you have a PC editing setup it is a hard pill to swallow that the only real good solution at the moment is investing in a MAC and all the associated hardware. And then all of the "cross platform" extras I mentioned. It can make the HVX200 that much less attractive for some. Luckily I have my feet firmly planted in SD for a while longer so I will wait out the format's growing pains.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #45

Rob, Thanks. Should have guessed "At the Moment."

Marty, I know what you mean. If I had all PC stuff right now, I would not be able to afford to make the switch and/or incorporate it and have it all. The huge cost of hardware AND the software, etc. Plus all the "unknowns" that I would feel are out there with not only adding a different operating system, but making the big switch from SD to DVCPro HD/50/25.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders