Casio EX-F1 720p30 video- impressive! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old November 28th, 2008, 04:39 AM   #46
HDV Cinema

Amazing no time lapse built in. But, the is a wired remote available. I suspect it would be very simple to use this connection to fire off shots.
Old November 28th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #47
Regular Crew

there is a timelapse hack... it's not perfect, but ok.

Just set your camera to frameburst mode.... compose your shot, set the AE and focus... then, in the frame burst setting, set it to "Auto N". When you click the shutter, the camera will then take a shot every second or so (depending on your settings) sequentially untill you hit the shutter or the card runs.

The only way I have found to get longer than 1fps is to have a slow shutter speed... great for traffic shots and stuff.

It's not as good as a standard interavlometer, but for clouds, people, traffic etc, it's great and has alot less flicker than timelapse on a normal DSLR

Here is a demo (1080p/30fps - 15mb):
http://www.screenspro.com/uploads/timelapse.mov
Jay Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #48
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Birch View Post
there is a timelapse hack... it's not perfect, but ok.
Here is a demo (1080p/30fps - 15mb):
http://www.screenspro.com/uploads/timelapse.mov
WOW -- that's great and a really good tip!

I just ordered an F1.

I don't think any camera can do ALL the things the F1 can do. I'd love the Canon, but I am NOT going to spend that kind of money!

The Nikon may have a better written manual, but like all Nikon products it is crazy complex just for taking stills.

I'm also looking at making ExposureRoom movies. Do I really need super quality? I don't think so. Or, to put it another way -- I refuse to spend the money required for an Sony EX1.

Most of all, I want to return to 720p. It matches my computer power so much better than 1920x1080. Both iMovie 08 and Avid Media Composer work really well with 720p30.

Hopefully, we can all build a great user group here.
Old November 28th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #49
Regular Crew

steve (or anyone else on here) If you want to make some cash from the F1, pm me. I am setting up a site to sell stock video, amongst other things... and the F1 has the right quality to sell very well as stock.
Old November 28th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
It's not as good as a standard interavlometer, but for clouds, people, traffic etc, it's great and has alot less flicker than timelapse on a normal DSLR
Yeah, that doesn't sound like it will work for me. I'll go back to lusting over a hpx170...
Old November 28th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Steve.....Both Portrait or Night Scene both default to AWB but you can change this to any of the other settings and the F1 will use what you set.
I don't think that the discriptions that Casio is using for Movie mode are very good. I have been shooting in Night Scene for the MF it allows me to use. My full daylight video is excellent. The camera changes Iso, fstop and shutter speed depending on the lighting conditions. These settings are displayed when you push the shutter button half way. If the settings are in white, I assume the camera is using those setting. If the settings are displayed in orange, I assume the F1 didn't like what I set.

Also, I have noticed that the SD settings gives me a wider view when zoomed all the way out. Almost like the F1 is using all the sensor in SD. When I switch to HD or FHD at the same wide angle and bring the video into Sony Vegas the F1 is only using a portion of the frame? Also, the footage produced in SD by the F1 looks very clean.
Daniel Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #52
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Thornton View Post
Also, I have noticed that the SD settings gives me a wider view when zoomed all the way out. Almost like the F1 is using all the sensor in SD. When I switch to HD or FHD at the same wide angle and bring the video into Sony Vegas the F1 is only using a portion of the frame? Also, the footage produced in SD by the F1 looks very clean.
It's been reported that in HD mode, full-wide is 45mm. On a 35mm camera a 50mm lens is considered Normal -- not Wide. A 0.7X adaptor would get you to 32mm which is an acceptable Wide.

Don't know if there is an adaptor available.
Old November 28th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #53
HDV Cinema

Quote:
steve (or anyone else on here) If you want to make some cash from the F1, pm me. I am setting up a site to sell stock video, amongst other things... and the F1 has the right quality to sell very well as stock.
Interesting idea. Who do you think would be interested in the video?

Are you in Portugal? If so, how is the F1 being sold in Europe? Is it selling well? Do your units shoot 720p30 or 720p25?
Old November 29th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Hi Steve, I owned a stock business selling stock video to web designers but recently sold to raise revenue for my next venture... it was a booming $7figure business and our next site launch will hopefully take it even further.

I don't want to break the house rules of the forum and look like I am spamming, so please pm me if you want further details.

Yea, i'm in Portugal (moved from england) the F1 is also 30p here (although it can output a stream in PAL, apparently)... 30fps suits me as 95% of stock sales are 30p. I'm the only person happy about the 30p on the canon 5d II!

Neither the F1 or the 5D II are selling too well here according to the camera store I buy from.... probably due to the 30fps rate. So I expect a 25fps upgrade for the 5D II, if Canon want to boost sales here. (I was told I was the first person to pre-order a 5dII and this is a big, europe wide store! 2nd only to Amazon)
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #55
HDV Cinema

Quote:
30fps suits me as 95% of stock sales are 30p. I'm the only person happy about the 30p on the canon 5d II!
With a target of BD or the net -- shooting 24p is IMHO way out of date. Who's going to real film these days?

Without 2-3 pulldown judder to clue one to 24p, I'll bet VERY few can tell 30p/25p from 24p.

Yet, 30p/25p is so much simpler to work with!

Will contact you.
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #56
Regular Crew

yea, I don't see massive differences to shooting 24p or 30p on my hvx

If the lighting, music, narative etc are done well, the frame rate is the least important issue for joe public.
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Casio EX-F1

FYI....here is a link to a program that can creates Best Shot modes for the Casio line of Cameras. It looks like they have an update that supports the EX-F1

BestMan Bestshot Editor
Daniel Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #58
Regular Crew

great link, i'll put that to the test
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #59
HDV Cinema

My EX-F1 arrived today. A program to create BS is perfect addition. Not sure if the one you create can be used for video.

Last edited by Steve Mullen; December 4th, 2008 at 06:51 PM.
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:23 AM   #60
Regular Crew

I noticed something about locking the AF . I could only get the AF-L to work in movie mode when I use the setting AF-L & AE-L together . When I use AF-L by itself it would reset when I pressed record. This was in Movie Mode – BS. Also if I had face detection enabled, the Side Focus button stop allowing changes between AF, Macro, Infinity, and MF.
Daniel Thornton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)