Casio EX-F1 720p30 video- impressive! - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)
HD from Nikon D90, other still photo cams (except EOS 5D Mk. II, LUMIX GH1).

Old November 16th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #106
Regular Crew

I've read this entire thread in some depth but have lurked until now... My EX-F1 has arrived. I'm totally indebted to, especially Daniel and Steve for fantastic insight into the camera's functionality. Thank you two so much.

I've purchased the camera specifically for the high-speed functionality. My main camera is the XH-A1 which I use in conjunction with a Letus DoF adaptar. I'm wondering if I could purchase a small adapter ring to connect the Letus onto the Casio and see what it reproduces.. that would be interesting.

My main question is to do with workflow using Premiere CS4 - Import Settings, configuration and best output. I hear you about the iMovies 09, Steve, but I don't have Mac. My loss, but I could really do with a workflow for editing in CS4. I'm getting green screens right now (codec problem, perchance?)

Also, I really liked Daniel's rainy bike clip. Very clear, sharp footage. But I question why put the setting onto STD, rather than HD or HS? STD is only 640 X 480 and 4:3. Surely the trick is to use the best settings for shooting? Or is there a certain reason for STD setting?

I'm liking the footage I'm getting so far, but would like to have full control over the edit process, particularly for high speed footage, in CS4.

Thanks again!
Old November 21st, 2009, 03:23 PM   #107
Regular Crew

The trouble with shooting at 600fps is that the resolution doesn't look that great. 432 X 192 falls short of a respectable resolution in my opinion. Although you can use Twixtor or Shake plugins to slow it up more and make a cool 1000fps or more. Check this out of a flying baby: YouTube - Slow motion baby toss into sunset. (600 - 1000fps)

Okay, passable at best, but what if I want 600 fps but want to keep the 300fps resolution? For me, 512 X 384 is an acceptable resolution, particularly since it's possible to pull it out a bit and it still looks great. I work with CS4 and using a combination of Premiere & AF, you can use Twixtor to slow it up to your 600fps at 512 X 384 and it still looks great:

YouTube - Ice cube falls and smashes to table in slow motion 600fps
Kris Koster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others)