Private Classifieds listings from 2003 - Page 49 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Private Classifieds

Private Classifieds
For *individuals* to sell gear or post want-to-buy inquiries.

Closed Thread

Old September 16th, 2003, 04:26 AM   #721
Regular Crew

Never tried haichew, thanks for the recommendation, will try that.
Old September 16th, 2003, 07:56 AM   #722
Regular Crew

Update: Still looking for a deck so not to put any wear on my GL2.
Old September 16th, 2003, 08:25 AM   #723

Any kind in particular? I have one I bought for a project that fell apart before it could be used. (The project fell apart, not the underwater housing!)
Old September 16th, 2003, 08:54 AM   #724
New Boot

GL2 Package for Sale

The package contains.

1) Canon GL2 (Purchased two months ago from BestpriceAudioVideo.com(authorized Canon Dealer)). In mint condition. One year canon warranty only. Used for less than 30 hours.

2) Wide Angle Adapter(New purchased from BHPhotoVideo less than a month ago).

3) Canon BP-945 battery(New purchased from BHPhotoVideo less than a month ago).

4) Power 2000 945 series Battery(New purchased from BHPhotoVideo less than a month ago).

5) DM-50 directional microphone(New purchased from Houston Photo Exchange less than a week ago).

6) 4 Tiffen filters Circular polarizer, Warm Polarizer, UV filter and a Warm soft Fx1(All purchased new from BHPhoto and Frys locally)

I am asking 2200 for the package plus shipping. I would like to sell the package as a whole. First offer of 2200 gets the lot.

This is a great deal and I will be throwing in a few extras as well(Tripod, tapes etc).

Can only accept MO/ Personal check after clearing. I have sold Audio equipment at Audiogon. You can check my feedback there.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/feedview.pl?user=Krisinhouston

email me at krisinhouston5@hotmail.com
or leave a message on my cell: 646-246-6185.

Thanks
Kris.
Old September 16th, 2003, 11:09 AM   #725
Space Hipster

Price reduced to $395 (still includes shipping and insurance).
Old September 16th, 2003, 11:35 AM   #726
New Boot

I was looking at a Ewa-Marine brand but I'm open to others. To be used for surf photography, I'm not actually sure which housing is best suited for this purpose. What do you have?

Thanks
Old September 16th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #727

The Ewa-Marine is exactly what I have--never used.
Old September 16th, 2003, 12:04 PM   #728
New Boot

I'm still researching the best housing for this application - do you know of other's experience using the Ewa-Marine? What's your asking price?
Old September 16th, 2003, 12:13 PM   #729

First, I know nothing about surfing.

Second, most other housings cost thousands of dollars. The Ewa was the only one in my price range at the time.

Third, find the best price you can online, send it to me, and I'll
beat it by $100.
Old September 16th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #730
Regular Crew

Hey Kris...sounds like a cool package. What did you use it for and why are you selling so quickly after purchase? Thanks.
Old September 17th, 2003, 03:49 AM   #731
Trustee

I wouldn't use an Ewa-marine housing for shooting surfing as if you get sucked over the falls or take a pounding of any kind, highly likely in Hawiian surf, it offers absolutely no protection for your camera. Come to think of it I wouldn't even use an XL1 for shooting surfing I'd be more inclined to go for the GL1/2 and an Ikelite housing. The XL is a large camera when it comes to underwater work and not really suited to surf shooting. There are a couple of housings available but they are extremely cumbersome for use in the surf, they're more designed for work with SCUBA gear. I can't remember who makes them but I remember seeing one at a photo trade show a few years ago, it was about the size of a 5 gallon drum and cost around US$5000.
Old September 17th, 2003, 04:46 AM   #732
Inner Circle

Housings used for surfing are built somewhat differently from those used for scuba.

With scuba, constant pressure helps seal the housing. For surf, you'll need a housing that's tightly sealed against rapid pressure changes.

The Ewa Marine housing can't tolerate much submersion. Note that pressure increases 1/2 pound per foot of depth. At five feet you're getting 2.5 pounds of pressure. It doesn't sound like much except that it's 2.5 pounds per square inch. An XL1 in an Ewa Marine housing has a lot of square inches!

With surf, you're going to take an occasional pounding and the pressure can vary quickly when ducking through a wave. This pressure change can eventually suck water into a housing, and that's why housings for surf photography are built differently. Here's just one example:

http://hcwhousings.freehomepage.com/

I'd have to agree with Adrian. Consider using a smaller camera. The smallest housing you're going to find for an XL1 is built by Gates and it's a few thousand dollars (see B&H Photo's pricing). Weight can also be a problem. A heavy housing will be nearly impossible to hoist above the surface to get a good shot. And you'll probably going to need one hand free to hang onto a board if you're using one.

You might want something that's lighter and easier to handle. I assume you've been in surf before? I tried shooting from the water once. A really bad current kept me out of the prime spot. So I got out, ran to my car and got the long lens to get the shot.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Old September 17th, 2003, 05:19 AM   #733
Trustee

Mike,

check out these guys if you are serious about using your XL for surf work. They specialize in building housings for surfing and can build you a custom one for your XL. It's gonna cost a Pipe Masters winners purse though.

I'd seriously think of a smaller camera just as Dean suggests. Something the size of a housed XL is going to be a beast to handle in the powerful Hawaiian surf, it might be OK on the back of a jet-ski, but a smaller camera could be the difference between getting the shot and becoming part of the Pipe reef.
Old September 17th, 2003, 07:31 PM   #734
New Boot

Adrian and Dean,

Thanks for your valued and much appreciated input Sorry Jay, no sale on the Ewa Marine - blame the guys!
Old September 17th, 2003, 08:20 PM   #735
Major Player

Glidecam V8 for sale!

Hello all. I have a Glidecam V8 unit for sale. It was purchased this past May, so it's only 4 months old, and was used for some scenes in a feature-length MiniDV film, and worked perfectly. It's in very good condition, a couple of minor cosmetic scratches on the pole and arm, but otherwise in excellent shape. It includes all the original equiment and manuals, and even the original box with styrofoam peanut packaging.

The unit was bought from B&H Photo and Video in NYC for $2300. I'll part with it for $1900, or make me an offer. I accept Certified bank checks or money orders.

If you are around the New York City area, you can check it out in person, and of course not have to pay for shipping. Email me to set up a meeting if you'd like. Or, we can work out shipping options and costs.

The Glidecam V8 is an amazing camera stabilizer, and worked wonders with my DVX100. It'll take a few days of practicing to get it right, but once you get the hang of it , it's really cool.

For more info on the Glidecam V8, visit www.glidecam.com

Thanks a bunch!
Jaime
jrv2@cornell.edu
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Private Classifieds