Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100 - Page 40 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old January 15th, 2015, 04:28 AM   #586
Trustee

Re: Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100

Out of curiosity I tried it with with my Samsung S4. I got it to hook up and had access to stop start, zoom, iris etc and then it dropped out. Tried again and had full connection strength again then a few seconds later it would say disconnected slow connection or something to that effect. A few moments later it would show a full strength connection... and then it would drop out again. Gave up after half a dozen goes at it. Totally useless with my S4. Not that I see much use for it. It was a bit laggy when it did connect. Others may have better luck. If they do would be interested to hear their experiences.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 07:35 AM   #587
Equal Opportunity Offender

Have you tried with a device that has "Sony" written on it? :-P

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #588
Trustee

No actually I haven't. Now who do I know who has one?

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Old January 15th, 2015, 03:48 PM   #589
Inner Circle

I had a X70 demo for a day and tried with my Xperia T cell phone and it worked just fine. Did not run for a long time as I was only checking what worked. Seemed to operate in much the same way it does with my Sony Action camera HDR-AS30V

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 11:54 PM   #590
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Griffiths View Post
Chris, do you know if there is , or will be, a Mac version?
Not for a while. This is what Acrovid have said. 4-5 mths most likely.

I then asked the question if someone purchased the Windows version can they then transfer the licence to the Mac version when it comes out. The answer was an emphatic "Yes." If you buy a Windows version you just have to email them and register for the Mac version. David's exact quote was:

"... we can offer a free license transfer to the mac version for the Windows version purchasers before it is available, just email me after purchasing and I will add the customer to the database with the free license transfer rights."

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Old January 16th, 2015, 10:33 PM   #591
Major Player

My goal is a flatter image for adjustment in post, and as I haven't seen anything about this online I thought I'd post some tests I finally got around to.

I'm doing the expected thing of raising blacks as much as possible, desaturating, etc., but kept running into interesting results with a flatter Knee. I've found that using the lowest setting for both Point and Slope causes what I would call posterization of highlights. Subtle variation is lost and at times there is even an odd color shift. I found this to be worse using Cinematone1 than with ITU709, maybe because Cine1 already has some flattening of its gamma curve built in.

So, in this video I'm trying to find settings I like. I limited my testing to Cine1 and ITU709, because this is a very contrasty camera and the other options just couldn't get the grayish blacks I was looking for in-camera. I did use Paul Anderegg's color correction settings posted here, including the latest update. However, I did a white balance for the Cine1 tests and forgot to re-balance for ITU709. So, don't consider this a color test. I did include a couple of plastic bottles that had a round highlight reflection of the light fixture above, and there you can easily see the highlight crunching that happens if you get too extreme with settings.

Which do I like? I'm still deciding. ITU709 seems capable of a slightly flatter look, but Cine1 does seem to have a little more subtlety after grading.

David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 06:35 AM   #592
Trustee

David, could you recommend what you think would work best for keeping faces from blowing out at night while still keeping some detail in the dark areas? I shoot everything at night, and as you know faces are the first thing to go. The camera will produce luminance on a histogram all the way to 108 or so, but I found anything going past my 95IRE zebra is just a puddle of cartoon color, total lack of any discernable detail. I am currently using Christophers knee settings. I have played around with underexposing and bringing up the mids or highlights in post, but all this seems to do is increase noise dramatically. I've turned to shooting SOT's at 27-30db with my LED dimmed down. The background gets brighter, and the soft diffused light tends to flatten the highlights, best I can do at the moment. For those times that isn't an option, I would love to get a peck of zebra on the nose or forehead without loosing all the under 95 stuff on a face.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 08:39 AM   #593
Major Player

Paul,
I think we've learned now that the Knee settings on this camera require great care, and underexposure is not our friend. We simply can't use truly low Point *and* Slope in combination, and even a 10-bit codec doesn't allow much exposure raising in post.

But I don't shoot for a finished look. For the flat looks in that video I aimed to get the mid-range pretty close using the Histogram, but the highlights topped out (as seen later in FCPX) at about 82-85 IRE and the blacks were about 10-13. Putting those at 100 and 0 or wherever I want them later takes only a few seconds and doesn't add noise IMO. So far I can't decide whether I like low Point and medium Slope or low slope and medium Point better.

But for a finished look in-camera at night in a contrasty setting, which I hasten to add I have not tested, I think you're right to maintain the highlights first. I'd set up a test - start with Point at 92.5 and Slope at 0, then experiment with lowering each of them a few steps (but not both of them) to see at what level you can get the highs to ramp like you want. Luckily, you can make all these changes while shooting for later study, and the blacks are super flexible. They can be adjusted once you see where they stand when the highs are bright but controlled.

For what it's worth, in the video, for both Cine1 and 709 a medium slope and low point seem to retain a bit more sparkle in the highs than with a low slope and medium point. Is a medium slope less steep, thus retaining more gradations? I'm just guessing here, please do not mistake me for someone who really knows what he's talking about :-)
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 01:49 PM   #594
Inner Circle

Just seen this quick test clip that was posted today by an owner, currently filming in India.

Some VERY nice clips in this (and sure, one or two where highlights are a bit blown out). But bearing in mind the price of this cam, I think it's pretty impressive for grab and go footage. And we've yet to see what 4K "flavours"/bit rate of XAVC Sony bless the PXW-X70 with this March - when the new firmware is supposed to come out. Take a look and see what you think.

Old January 19th, 2015, 05:52 PM   #595
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Just seen this quick test clip that was posted today by an owner, currently filming in India.
I like it! You do have to be careful with the exposure on this cam, even with the tweaked black gamma, knee, slope settings etc.
Mike McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #596
Trustee

My X70 requires me to rethink how I shoot highlights. On my JVC HM790 at work, my standard practice is to set zebra to 100IRE, then allow a bit of zebra to pop up, then run a broadcast safe filter in FCP X. That camera will still have highlight detail way above 100IRE, and the broadcast safe filter basically acts like an NLE knee and curves the 100-108IRE down to 100IRE so it doesn't clip when it goes to air. It was a bit of a surprise to me to see the X70 produce the same 108IRE levels on the histogram, yet it is unable to resolve any detail above 95IRE. Yikes, wake up call!

I am guessing I don't need to apply a broadcast safe filter to X70 footage, as the highlight clipping in camera is well above where it would clip on air?

Paul
Old January 20th, 2015, 04:12 AM   #597
Regular Crew

Paul, this is what I was trying to articulate, re: highlight concerns, in the other thread, but you've done it so well, and put numbers to it! And since I haven't bought the cam YET (Sony!) ... Thank you.

Sony, are you paying attention? This highlight thing might discourage buyers. Even consumer cams with small sensors have had smoother highlights for years and years. Like my uncle Jim's old Toshiba SK-F200 VHS camcorder that I carried around on my shoulder as a scrawny 12-year-old back in 1992. Yes, it was VHS, but it had smoother highlights than the X70!

(Nostalgia moment.)

Look forward to learning what you guys find out about squeezing more detail out of the highlights ... is it possible?

Meanwhile, can we push Sony for a firmware fix, or is this problem physically inherent in the sensor or AD converter? Surely there is some curve somewhere that could be adjusted in the firmware to get detail all the way up to 100IRE at least.
Tom Grushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 04:24 AM   #598
Trustee

I just shot some SOT's at a police pursuit scene a few minutes ago, using Christopher's knee settings, as well as a 90IRE zebra to ensure i don't blow anything out. Looks pretty good, as long as you recognize the cameras 95IRE clip level. I intentionally left the opening of the SOT in to show how much or how little it takes to blow out details.

Old January 20th, 2015, 04:30 AM   #599
Trustee

As a side note, I keep the facial recognition on, and whenever I see the orange box, I turn off the A/F to lock the sucker. You can actually see the detail come and go from the faces in the SOT's as I toggle A/F on and off, it is dramatically apparent, almost looks like a severe bitrate reduction when the orange box pops up! Seriously, watch the wrinkle on the guys head VANISH as the A/F finds lock!
Old January 20th, 2015, 04:41 AM   #600
Regular Crew

Sheesh. Wow! Thanks, Paul, again!

Interesting about the face detection. Saw this concern somewhere else as well.

Looking forward to seeing your new settings on some more bright scenes with flashing lights, etc. Or, are those so bright that keeping them around 95IRE would make everything else go black?
Tom Grushka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds