Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100 - Page 35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old December 19th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #511
Regular Crew

Re: Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100

Like you I can't seem to do anything useful with this. Back to Prepare. What on earth are the developers in Sony doing? do they live on another planet?

Last edited by Mike Griffiths; December 19th, 2014 at 09:18 AM. Reason: grammar
Mike Griffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:32 AM   #512
Regular Crew

OK so I'm stupid but when I select several file to transcode, the transcode button is greyed out. Back to square one. What am I doing wrong?
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:47 AM   #513
Trustee

You are operating a camera with a codec that will not be editable until so much time passes that the cost of the camera drops several hundred dollars, and is replaced with a NEWER UNIT WITH BETTER HARDWARE FEATURES. :-)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 11:07 AM   #514
Major Player

Catalyst Prepare is $199 at the Sony site but I was able to purchase it for about $50 less from B&H. I don't have an X70 (yet) but do have a new Sony A7s.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 11:20 AM   #515
Trustee

Just confirmed I can only transcode to AVCHD or DPX on my PC as well. DPX doesn't work in Sony Vegas either, and this is not a multiclip issue, Catalyst Browse refuses to transcode even a single file to anything other than AVCHD or DPX. This free Sony software appears to be a "Whoops, I accidentally shot this on a format that is not editable, and need to transcode to the other format that I should have selected in my camera menu" solution. They should just call this "SD Card Footage Repair" Browse.

This means there is still no way to get my 10 bit 4:2:2 50Mbps video out of my camera........how annoying.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #516
Regular Crew

Why not use Premiere Pro? It will run with XAVC right out of the camera, or transcode to whatever you like. Get a free demo or sign up for a Creative Cloud subscription. Cheaper than an external ProRes recorder...
Mike Buckhout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #517
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
Just confirmed I can only transcode to AVCHD or DPX on my PC as well. DPX doesn't work in Sony Vegas either, and this is not a multiclip issue, Catalyst Browse refuses to transcode even a single file to anything other than AVCHD or DPX. This free Sony software appears to be a "Whoops, I accidentally shot this on a format that is not editable, and need to transcode to the other format that I should have selected in my camera menu" solution. They should just call this "SD Card Footage Repair" Browse.

This means there is still no way to get my 10 bit 4:2:2 50Mbps video out of my camera........how annoying.

Paul
X70 10bit 4:2:2 MXF files will edit fine in Edius 7.4 which will also show DPX too ( still image sequence !!!). I have Vegas 12, as you say nothing !! CS6 will show DPX. Pretty useless piece of software. Only use is to get the files into the computer for me. At least my edit software will work with them. Premiere Pro CC I believe will also work.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 06:10 PM   #518
Major Player

I don't know what to say - mine works.

In the Browse View in Catalyst Browse I can select multiple clips and transcode them to ProRes.
Select them, click the File dropdown at lower right.
Choose Transcode to...
Set Format to ProRes
Choose preset you want.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #519
Inner Circle

My only choices are DPX and XAVC no ProRes I am on Windows though. Trans coding to XAVC Intra will then work in Vegas 12.

Ron Evans
Old December 19th, 2014, 06:29 PM   #520
Major Player

I'm on Mac - latest version of Browse (1.1.0.86 from earlier this week) and latest OSX.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #521
Inner Circle

Windows version is (1.1.0.87) with DPX or XAVC as options
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #522
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post

Paul
Looks like you'll have to stump up for Prepare .
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #523
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dixon View Post
I don't know what to say - mine works.

In the Browse View in Catalyst Browse I can select multiple clips and transcode them to ProRes.
Select them, click the File dropdown at lower right.
Choose Transcode to...
Set Format to ProRes
Choose preset you want.
Exactly the same as you, Mac 10.6, updated Browse- Nothing- the file menu transcode button is greyed out I used the pop up 'new version available which is 1.02 but if I follow your instructions David and go to options/about etc an even newer version 1.1 appears. Then magically I can transcode multiple files. What on earth was the pop up for?
It's like being in a computer game maze.
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #524
Inner Circle

Paul as I mentioned the transcode to XAVC Intra will work in Vegas 12 so you can edit your X70 video. Transcode is quite fast too. XAVC Intra is the full version of XAVC rather than the LongGOP of the X70 so file size is bigger about 5 times as big !!! But is easier to edit with. OF interest too is the fact i could not get the data code button on the X70 I had as a demo to work but this latest version of Catalyst shows all the data code information !!!

Ron Evans
Old December 20th, 2014, 02:12 PM   #525
Trustee

Just figured out that part of my problem is that I shoot 720p60. In a test, 1080p60 WILL transcode to ProRes and XAVC. This is still a problem for me, as my work issued editing platform is FCP X, and if you use FCP X, you will no doubt be aware that you cannot export/render/share a 720 file from a 1080 master unless you do something like drop a 1 second 720 clip at the beginning of the timeline.

I must say though, I did nee a noticeable improvement in quality on the XAVC footage I ingested via SDI. The night gained up colorful stuff looked smoother, less noise, colors popped a bit more. :)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds