Thoughts on 2/3" lens I am looking at - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old January 12th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #16
Major Player

Now that we're talking lenses, and as I don't find a separate topic 'glass' or 'lenses, I launch a question here. Does anybody know how adjusting flang back works with a lens with an extender? Adjust with extender 'on' or 'off'? If I adjust it without extender, I never get in right with the extender on...
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Luc you might want to start a new thread here with that question. I think you would have better response.
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Agree Steve the cost difference vs focal length difference pushes me to the 18x.

Now my dream long lens would be one of the 42x with a stabilizer built in. But very expensive and heavy so only go for certain shoots.

What do you use for your long lens? Do you own or rent?

Have you used the TS-P58A stabilizer with your 18x?
There is a 42x on BB List at the moment.
I rent my long lenses, the HJ18x28 by choice, far away the best long lens in many ways IMHO. Never use a stabiliser, even on the HJ40 that has it built in I only ever use it locked off in high winds.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
EX350 is a much more logical name for this fabulous new piece of equipment. If only the marketing guys at Sony's were as gifted as their R&D wizzards...
I think we all agree, it's beyond stupid!
Steve
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
Now that we're talking lenses, and as I don't find a separate topic 'glass' or 'lenses, I launch a question here. Does anybody know how adjusting flang back works with a lens with an extender? Adjust with extender 'on' or 'off'? If I adjust it without extender, I never get in right with the extender on...
Not sure about the scientific answer, but I also do it without extender and have never noticed a problem. You would hope that for the cost of these lenses they'd be lined up correctly with the extender so it'd be OK. Of course the effect is much greater the wider the focal length so logically putting the 2x on would limit problems to that extent.
Steve
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Thanks Steve,

The HJ18x28 looks like an amazing lens.

The BB list has some decent pricing but then again there is VAT.

I seem to be narrowing down to the HA18x7.6 but have to make sure it has zoom and focus control handles for the aerial work. That lens takes the TS-P58A stabilizer which is nice. Looking at renting one in two weeks for a test flight.

As for longer lens options they are expensive and I think out of my range to buy at this time. The 18x7.6 with stabilizer could be a great working lens. And if longer is needed rental is a great option. My plan is to buy in mid Feb for two important aerial jobs.

Your advice always puts me on track and I appreciate your help.
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #22
Inner Circle

The HA18x76 BERD has the focus servo while the BERM does not.
I found that it performed very well with the 2x.
Always worth checking one out though. Best way I reckon is do side by sides with a lens that you know to be acceptable for your uses (ie good enough as nothing is perfect), and if it's in the same ballpark then it's OK.
The prices of the long lenses is insane, I've been close to buying a few times then had a reality check. Unfortunately the HJ18x28 is recent enough and in-demand enough that there is no used market for them.
Best of luck with your decision.
Steve
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Thanks Steve I was just about to check on the letters. So BERD is the one I want.

I would check the lens out at Abel Cine Tech prior to purchase against the stock and one I borrow at time plus a few there.

Yea it would be nice to be able to reach in the bag and pull out 500-1000mm but I also have to eat. Will see what is around for long rentals and cost so I can price.
Old January 13th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #24
Trustee

Hey Paul,
I would buy a lens you use most of the time and build in a rental price for a lens on jobs that are special unless you have enough days to pay for a good chunk of it. Similar to how we approach camera purchases.
As for back focusing adjustments definitely without the extender. If you use the extender you may not like the back focus when it is not in use from my experience while I can think of no technical reason for it except you may not be seeing the whole effect of the elements on the wide adjustment as the extender is seeing a narrower angle of view.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Good advice Daniel that is my plan. Not sure if it will be a 18x or 22x depends on the price. And as stated above it has to have the motor for focus and zoom so I can control both off the camera.

Pricing in a rental for the very long work will be a nice option. One of the great reasons to own the PMW-350 is the huge lens selection you have access to with the B4 mount.
Old January 28th, 2010, 05:39 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Still talking with Abel on the Fujinon HA18x BERD lens with optical stabilizer as my standard setup.

Also looking at this for a wide lens. The deal I am talking about with the buyer is to have Abel test the lens prior to purchase. I am confident Abel will let me know if the lens is up to par.

Question is has anyone used one of these and is it a good choice for a wide 2/3" zoom lens? The only other I have found that is this wide is the Canon or primes.
Angenieux T12x5.3B1 ESM HR Wide Angle Zoom Lens - AMAZING!!!!
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Finally after all of my searching the testing of a few lens begins next week.

I will be testing the Canon HJ17x with Canon Optical Stabilizer

and

Fujinon HA 18x with Fujinon Optical Stabilizer.

Also in early April I will be testing this new Stabilized lens from Canon, retail $30K
Canon Europe - Canon HJ15ex8.5B
Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:54 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Well I have a clear winner after a long time spent on this process. But well worth it since I would have spent too much or purchased a lens based on advice only, which is not the way to go. Take the advice choose your options and test each lens the way you shoot.

More details soon but these are the lens I tested and what I purchased.

Tested on PMW-350:
Stock Fujinon Lens
Canon J15x9.4B
Canon HJ17x7.7B
Fujinon HA18x7.6B
Fujinon ZA17x7.6B

The stock lens is worth purchasing to have for a back up. It amazed me the Canon J15x9.5 beat out the HJ17x7.7. The HJ had really bad CA and was very soft. Not impressed at all. With this lens I also tested the Canon IS 20B II and the picture went even softer.

Both the Fujinon are excellent and this has swayed me to Fujinon. The HA and ZA were very and I mean very hard to tell the difference. I purchased the ZA, since for the extra $5K I could not see the difference. This also leaves more for the Fujinon TS-P58A, which give excellent results.

Can you do a more controlled structured test? Yes! But for me it was shooting all kinds of charts in my studio with proper lighting and in the field in all kinds of weather. Pushing the lens at full wide and full zoom and with 2x on. All of the things I will do on shoots. Then taking the footage back to the same system I will edit on and picking it apart as I do with all my jobs. So could it be more engineered and controlled yes but would that help me decide? NO! I am very happy with my choice and it just goes to show you need to test the lens for your shooting. Rent, spend the time and shoot since we all have different needs.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; March 3rd, 2010 at 07:36 AM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Lens is working out well. Here is a still taken from my GoPro POV suction cupped on the inside of the windshield last Friday. The GoPro bounces all over the place and as you can see does not handle the highlights well but gives you an idea of my setup and shows the ZA with focus control.

Second shot better on the highlights but the focus is not sharp, but again just to show the set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Thoughts on 2/3" lens I am looking at-ski-area-shoot-2.jpg   Thoughts on 2/3" lens I am looking at-ski-area-shoot.png  

Old March 7th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #30
Major Player

Hi Paul,

Is the lens an ALAC/ALAC compatible lens?
If not, how is chromatic aberration with the 350/ZA combo?

Cheers

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts