Thoughts on 2/3" lens I am looking at - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 10th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #46
Trustee

Thanks David. According to page 42 ALAC is activated automatically at start up. The kit lens does include it. It says if a lens has ALAC built in, more time may be required to load the data at start up.

So the question goes to Doug, how were you able to compare the difference of ALAC on versus off, to say there is very little difference on a good lens, unless the PDW800 has something the PMW350 does not, namely the ability to switch ALAC off?
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Tom, David,

Sorry I am flat out and headed out the door for the day.

Correct ALAC is activated when the camera is turned on. I thought I was turning it off in the Ma menu but I was wrong. When you go to "Lens" in the menu there are no options. So I guess it is on all the time. And the ZA is doing a better job the the kit lens.

As for the kit lens I never checked if I could turn it on/off. But Tom answered that question.

I think the F800 has a option in the menu to turn it on/off. Will know more today when I shoot with Doug to test both cameras and the EX1r.

And to answer one of your questions Tom. The PDW-F800 has a lot the PMW-350 does not have and I think this is one of the many, many upgrades when you buy a PDW-F800
Old March 10th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #48
Inner Circle

The Varicams certainly have the option to turn CAC off in the menus.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #49
Major Player

So Paul,

After all of your broadcast lens testing on your PMW-350 camera and settling on the ZA lens, are you keeping the lens for the F800 or will you start your search again?
Old March 25th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #50
Inner Circle

David have you tested the 350 yet?

No the ZA works great on the F800. I put my lens on Doug's F800 and it is excellent.

I tested the ZA along side the HA and HJ and the HA and ZA won out. And when it came to the ZA/HA we could not see a difference in the lens. Build is slightly different but the picture is the same from the two I tested. Now I may have been lucky and got a great one but I don't think so. I know others with F800's and ZA and they are very happy.

I will have Abel shade the lens and do the white/black to match it to the F800.
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #51
Major Player

Hi Paul,

I have heard many good comments (including yours) on the ZA lenses. Good to know that you will be keeping it and not having to go through the lens testing formalities. Once would be somewhat fun and a great learning experience. Twice would perhaps be a little boring.

I did see the 350k at my dealer a short while back. Had a bit of a 'play' with it. K lens seemed to be quite good but I was in their showroom for another reason and spent the few mins with the camera while I was waiting for the sales pro to attend to me. In fact at that time, I was not terribly interested in it.

Paul, it was your's and Alister's positive comments on this forum that sparked my interest in the PMW-350 shortly thereafter. Your's towards the 350L + ZA, so thanks very much for that. And for all your answers as well.

I have not had an opportunity to spend 'quality time' with it but I hope to within the next couple of weeks, although I have had quite a few shoulder mounted 2/3 inch Sonys in my previous life shooting in SD, so I am accustomed to the camera's style.

Cheers
Old March 26th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Hi David,

One lens test is enough for now. I will be looking at a wide lens in the summer but at least now I know it will be Fujinon or a prime.

If you test out the 350 check out the 700/800 at the same time. Always better to have options. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. And I am always happy to help if I can.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts