Various questions Sony HVR-A1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old April 11th, 2006, 12:37 AM   #31
Regular Crew

6 Month Warranty Extension on HVR-A1U

Thanks to Bret Corbin for the heads up.

Dorothy
Dorothy Engleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #32
Regular Crew

A1U Rebate For Hawaii.

although it says not for hawaii residents in the fine print?
fear not my fellow hawaii residents.. i recieved my check in the mail yesterday
here's how i did it.

1) buy the damn camera from B&H it's far more stress free than.. oh never mind
don't wanna hurt peoples feelings.

2)follow the rebate instructions, you know right? upc bar code, fill in your name etc etc.

3) ok after you've filled your name in, you need to have a very close friend or family that lives on the mainland because although its made out to your name
... you just never know these days.
ADDRESS MUST BE MAINLAND ADDRESS, CABEESH?

and in about 4weeks your have a little itty bitty check that looks more like a upc code from a box or something.
oh and i cashed it yesterday, and i was a little worried that sony would have insufficent funds.. but looks like they got paid this week.
Vish Matepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #33
Regular Crew

A1 or HC1 Output To Film?

Has anyone transfered A1 or HC1 output to film. If so how were the results?
Frank Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #34
Tourist

Anyone interested in forming a L.A. HC1/A1 users' group?

(We could call it LAHAUG.)

It would be a good way for HC1/A1U users in the Los Angeles area to network and get together. Any HC1/A1U users, let me know--here or by private message.
Stephen Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #35
New Boot

I'm interested. I'll PM you with my e-mail address.
Dan Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 02:53 AM   #36
Trustee

A1 as scond camera?

I've been shooting with a Canon XL2, and have been trying to deceide on a second camera, at the same time getting my feet wet in hdv. I rented a Z1 for a weekend, and considered that or an FX1. I was able to tweak the XL2 and the Z1, and get a decent picture match.
I just found out about the A1, and it looks very interesting, and affordable. (After a shoot yesterday in a cramped Helicopter, I'd also appreciate a smaller cam).
Here are my questions:
1- How does the picture quality compare to the Z1/Fx1?
2-How flexible is the A1 for twaeking settings?
3-Is there an owners manual posted here (Couldn't find it).
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:37 AM   #37
Regular Crew

I got the A1U

I picked up the A1U yesterday. Ryan at EVS suggested I check out the rental to make sure it was the camera I wanted and plugged it into a monitor. One of the seats had a bright red decal so I focused on that. Sure enough it came out a little pink, but nothing that couldn't be color corrected for in post. I am *very* impressed with EVS and will be going back. Chris knows how to pick his sponsors. Not only did I get a very good price, but the people part of the equation simply can't be overestimated.

I thought there would be a sharp learning curve, but an hour reviewing the parts of the manual that applied to me made things much simpler. Since I wouldn't be using in camera effects much, if at all, it cut down the pages I needed to absorb to well less than ten.
Today, I went to an exhibition of Lewis Carroll's works and filmed some beautiful illustrations that I knew I would not likely see again, including a handwritten version with drawings by Mr. Carroll himself and one illustrated by Salvador Dali.
Then I went to a mall and got some shots of the clearance sale for the 'Ideology' line of products because I couldn't resist the irony of seeing Ideology at 50% off.
When I replayed the shots, all taken on full auto because of my insecurity with manual settings on shots I wouldn't be able to retake, I was extremely impressed with the results. All I can say is wow I'm impressed!
I'm not one of those people who think digital, even HD, will ever replace film any more than digital recording will ever replace the natural compression of bouncing off tape. But it gives us a way to make stunning footage that's impressive enough that you know if people notice the difference, it means that much more went wrong than simply the use of digital...
Frank Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #38
Major Player

A1U $500 Rebate

B&H listing a $500 rebate for the A1U. I wonder why?
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Why wonder?

There is currently a $500 rebate on the A1U.
Adam La Prade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #40
Wrangler

I would guess they're using it as an incentive to sell a few more cameras. The rebate isn't new however:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=57935
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=64279
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:44 PM   #41
Regular Crew

I am searching for a long Sony HVR-A1E footage, is there anyone avalible?

Hi!

There is alot of clips out there that barely begins before it is over so there is
quite hard to get a satisfying impression of what the camera can perform.

So is there anyone that have / know a site that have a longer footage, something like 5-10 minutes with a bitrate of about 20-30mbit/s?

Would love to see one. Thanks
Jesper Andersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:25 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Hello Jesper,

Perhaps the Sony HDV Shooters' Club will help:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...rs/index.shtml

Dorothy
Dorothy Engleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Manual Audio

I've been playing around with the manual audio functions on the A1 and noticed that I'm not able to set channel 1 to auto and channel 2 to manual. Is this correct? My Z1 is able to do this, but not the A1. Or am I doing something wrong? Can anyone shed some light on this?
Paul Chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #44
Tourist

HVR-A1U and Focus Enhancement FireStore FS-4 Portable DTE Recorder

I am curious if anyone out there is using the HVR-A1U with a Focus Enhancement FireStore FS-4 Portable DTE Recorder with their camcorder and if so, have you had any problems using the FS-4 and how do you like it? If you do have a FS-4, what kind of projects have you used it on and do you also record to tape simultaneously as well for back up purposes? Looking at going this route versus getting a VTR deck to cut down on wear and tear on the camcorder heads. Any information, pros or cons or opinions are welcomed.
Brian Prelesnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #45
New Boot

Suggested settings: A1U Beach setting

I am going on vacation to Tahiti, and haven't had time to learn all the best settings for bright sandy beach scenes!
Any suggested settings I can print out and take with me?
Thanks in advance.

I have the Sony WA, circ.polarizer, haze filter, NTG-2.
Tim
Tim Cool is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series