Various questions Sony HC1 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old December 30th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #46
Major Player

If Sony TR-20 is DV-tape then HC1 can play them back. I have played back DV-tape from a Canon XL-2 with no problems. It might be possible to transfer by using firewire directly to the HC1.
Old January 9th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #47
New Boot

HC1 model differences?

I see some folks here have a HC1E model.

I have a HC1K.

Does anyone know what kinds of differences are made between these lettered revisions?
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Hc1e

The letter "E" added to the HC1 denotes that it is the european version which is a pal version. The Japanese version is the HC1J. I haven't seen the "K" yet, but I would assume it refers to the intended country of use.
Evan Dowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Per this thread
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=48466

It seems the HC-1K models are "international versions", with multiple language support.

Mark
Mark Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #50
New Boot

a-ha. good to know. thanks.
Old January 14th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #51
Major Player

Best Price HC1

Okay, ready to buy and HC1. Where is the best price from a place that is not gray? PCandPlasma has it for 1099, but after seeing there "storefront", na.

Thanks

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #52
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

B&H $1499 free shipping in usa ..macworld show price good till Jan. 27-06 ..
call em and ask for show price ... 800 686 0955

or

www.bhphotovideo.com/mac06
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #53
Major Player

Wow, I just checked that link and they've got the XL-H1 for $8,499. I thought it was still under Canon's "price lockdown".
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #54
Major Player

Cinema Effect / Cineframe mode on the HC1?

I'm an FX1 user and have found the Cineframe modes (both 30 and 24) useful in my productions. I've been asked by an HC1 user for workflow suggestions, and I'm trying to figure out if any of the Cineframe modes exist in the HC1, and if so, which ones they are.

I also downloaded the manual and read through it, but it's remarkably subtle as to what it's "cinema effect" is.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks,
-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #55
Wrangler

See the following: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=56590
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #56
Regular Crew

HC1 vs. A1, Battery Life, other questions

I've been looking at both the HC1 and the A1, and from what i've seen, it looks like they're pretty similar. There are just a couple of questions that i have:

1) Does the HVR-A1 have better battery life than the HC1? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the HC1's battery life is horrible, but is the A1's any better?

2) Is the A1's hot shoe still the "proprietary" version of the HC1? And, if it is, is it possible to put a standard hot shoe mount onto this shoe?

3) Is the included mike with the A1 any good, or would it have to be replaced?
Michael OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael OKeefe
I've been looking at both the HC1 and the A1, and from what i've seen, it looks like they're pretty similar. There are just a couple of questions that i have:

1) Does the HVR-A1 have better battery life than the HC1? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the HC1's battery life is horrible, but is the A1's any better?

2) Is the A1's hot shoe still the "proprietary" version of the HC1? And, if it is, is it possible to put a standard hot shoe mount onto this shoe?

3) Is the included mike with the A1 any good, or would it have to be replaced?
1) No, of course not. The A1 IS the HC1 with many improvements. Increasing battery life would require a total re-design internally. However, I don't know where you heard that the HC1's battery life is poor. It is on-par with other camcorders; especially SONY ones. Sure, the included battery life blows, but what camcorder that you have purchased had a good battery life included? Just get the 71D battery from SONY ($37 on eBay) and you can get over 3.5 hours of shooting.

2) The A1 has both, the SONY AIS hot shoe and a traditional cold shoe. The audio module that you see attached to it, is attached via this cold shoe. However, SONY's genius team has placed an additional cold shoe on top of the audio module so that you still have a cold shoe available, even when the audio module is in place.

3) I am quite happy with the A1 microphone. However, most users seem to dislike it. The Rode NTG1 ($230) seems to be the most common choice for a replacement.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 11:56 PM   #58
Regular Crew

HC1 Question

Ok, I'm about to purchase a new camera and I would very much like for it to be an HC1. My question is if my computer can play an HD stream flawlessly fullscreen.....or as full screen as letterboxed gets...Does that mean it can handle editing HDV? I know it's a bit of a stretch but I'm hearing people who have half the resources I do being able to edit. A P4 with 3 gigs of RAM and an unGodly amount of Hard Drive space. This is really the only thing standing between me and the camera. Of course I understand the need for extra software added on to Premiere to be able to process HDV more efficiently.

Does anyone know if Newegg will allow you to pay with 2 different types of payment on one order? Yeah not the best place to ask this question but that's where I'll be getting the HC1 from so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks
John Strickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 12:24 AM   #59
Trustee

OK a couple of things .. first, ability to play back an HD fullscreen depends a lot on the file type. For example, I can't playback fullscreen uncompressed (hard drive is too slow). Fullscreen MPEG2 is less taxing on a processor than MPEG4, and M-JPEG is less taxing again.

Second, the ultimate show-stopper for HDV is inability to capture footage from the camera. For example, using PremierePro with Cineform, I could capture OK with a P4 2.8GHz, but not with an AthlonXP2600+.

Once the footage was into te computer, either computer could edit the footage - just tediously slowly in the case of the 2600+....

Generally, Cineforms products (ConnectHD for Vegas or AspectHD for Premiere) facilitate the lowest-spec computers to do feasible editing, and the minimum recommended processor for Aspect HD is a 2.8GHz P4.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 07:40 AM   #60
Regular Crew

Well I have a P4 3 Ghz so I think I'm ok on that end. I've got a total of 460 gigs of Sata drive space totally dedicated to capturing video and a seperate 160 gigs for capturing audio. I really think my computer can handle it.

Strange though. I've noticed when I start up Premiere it says Multi-Processor Detected. I don't believe I have dual cores or anything like that. Strange.

Now if I can just get Newegg to cooperate with me I can have this camera in plenty of time to learn it.
John Strickland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series