Various questions Sony HC1 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 4th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #121
Trustee

Capture highest possible rez (1080i). Edit, then downconvert in software to DV. It's better quality than letting the camera do the down convert in hardware.

Until I get HD-DVD or Blueray, I'm rendering out back to cineform M2T and running a master back to tape via Cineform HDlink.
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:20 AM   #122
Regular Crew

HC1 and using 2 mics

Hey everyone, for the first time I need to connect 2 mics to my HC1. I'm going to be doing interviews in a potentially noisy environment and I need a mic on both the interviewer and interviewee. I already bought a 2x mono L/R->stereo minijack adapter, so I can physically connect both mics no problem.

My question is what should I do about audio levels? The two mics put out very different sound levels. If I leave the HC1 in AGC, will it seperately adjust the L/R gain, or will it adjust until one of the channels is right and the other will be too low? If I use manual gain then I can't adjust the channels independantly, so I'm not sure what I should do... any advice? Thanks!
Jason Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #123
Regular Crew

Get one of these!

Jason,

I would suggest that if you are going to use the camera for taping things other than the "home video" type that you get one of these....

A Beachtek DXA-2s

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

It works wonderfully for me when I want more than 1 mic and want to be able to control the levels individually!

Plus it gives you the great feature of having XLR inputs!!

It was worth every penny even though I don't use my camera as often as I'd like to....

There are other models from Beachtek out there that have more features but for me and my HC1!

Check out my camera here:
http://blog.helpcharliegetwell.com/

Note: (I made a cold shoe adapter for my Rode VideoMic), The Beachtek adapter is the black box on the bottom of my camera.

I hope that helps!

Charlie
Charlie Vankirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #124
Major Player

Hi Charlie

good suggestion on that Beachtek unit.

does it supply phantom power? if not then aren't you a little restricted to using XLR-connection mics that have internal battery power? Whats the equivalent Beachtek box (fairly small for fitting to something like HC1) with phantom power?

thanks
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 06:58 AM   #125
Tourist

HC1 setting to record drag racing

Hello everyone. This weekend I am going to record a drag racing event for my cousin who is racing his car. It is expected to be a bright and sunny Fall day. What settings should I use as a starting point to get the most out of my HC1?

I want to know if I should use manual white balance or the preset WB. Also, Should I change the shutter speed at all? Lastly, can I and/or should I use infinite focus so that I don't have any issues video taping from the starting line all the way to the finish line (1/4 mile)?

Anyway, thanks in advance for all the great help everyone provides on this awesome site.

-Jose
Jose Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 07:33 AM   #126

Were it me...
Manual white balance (always)
Autofocus off
No problem being set to infinity, particularly if you're on a sunny day.
You might consider a UV filter, and potentially a circular polarizer if it's really hot on the track.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #127
Tourist

Douglas,

Thank you for the prompt response. I will try your suggestions this weekend. Once I have the footage I will post a small portion of it.

Again, thank you for your timely response.

-Jose
Jose Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 03:30 AM   #128
Regular Crew

hc1 footage

hc1 footage

http://www.camuser.co.kr/cam_vm/VID_...D_720p_001.wmv
Jung Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #129
Regular Crew

Very nice footage.

What settings did you use? What did you do in post-production? What program did you use?
Selim Abdullai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #130
Major Player

Hc-1

Hi All,

I am looking for an HC-1, either used or new. Anybody know any dealers who still sell it?

Regards,

Jack Hubbard
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #131
Wrangler

Jack, the only dealers which we discuss in the DVinfo forums are our sponsors. You will find the full list here: http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/

If someone wants to recommend a non-sponsor, please do so by sending an e-mail. Thanks for your understanding.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #132
Tourist

Problem with HC1 LCD.

Got a HC1 about 6 months ago and it's great-except just recently the LCD screen stopped working except when the screen is rotated to just one position. I think the wire (ribbon) is bad. Any suggestions on the problem or where I can get parts?
Rick Gnehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #133
Major Player

Looks like someone else had a similar problem not too long ago.
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=78647
You might want to look into sending it in for repairs.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #134
Tourist

same exact post as a year ago

Thanks Chris Harris for showing that old post. My camera has the exact same problem. Not quite sure what to do-that is why I thought this forum might help. Whatever I do, I will post the results.
Rick Gnehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #135
Major Player

Hc1

Hi Boyd,

Thanks for the info. For the most part, I have discovered the HC-1 is out of production and hard to find. No new ones anywhere. I finally got one on eBay, used. This is for a relative who is getting started in the business and who is on a budget. The HC-1 has been a great camera for me; I have used it or had other people shoot for me in DC, London, Turkey, and Guatemala. It is a great camera for a rookie, and brings back good usable video if you hold the camera still. There are no deals on the HC-1 that I can see on web sites. Broadway camera, for example says it is in stock; but when you go to the site it is out of stock and the want to sell you the HC-3. (My first choice, B & H is out of stock). But for basics, the HC-1 does better work and is more user friendly. It has headphone inputs, manual focus, etc. I originally asked the question because I could not find it through the sponsor channels.

Regards,

Jack

Last edited by Jack D. Hubbard; November 28th, 2006 at 02:43 PM.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series