Matte Box for Z5 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 06:55 PM   #31
Trustee

ok, no time for pics.....

the adaptor arrived and YES, it moves the box forward enough to be able to use the rotating stage properly.

HOWEVER, it wouldn't work without the uv filter's extra couple of mm's.

an added advantage is that without the matte box the adaptor isn't too bad a sun shade!

have a major out door project coming up at the end of next month - so i'll report back after that.

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Leslie,

Thanks for the pictures.

dale
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #33
Trustee

pleasure dale.

will take some with the new adaptor asap. but it's not hard to imagine everything on the matte box moving forward about 7mm - as i wrote, enough to operate the rotating stage properly.

i will repeat though, the uv filters 3mm IS important for it all to work.

leslie
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #34
Major Player

Has anyone used a polariser with this cine city set-up - how would you rotate it?
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:32 AM   #35
Trustee

which cine city set-up are you referring to?

if you're talking about the one i had (fixed), that's what i bought it for - however, since (more often than not) i always shot with the sun directly behind me a rotating stage was a luxury i could ill afford at the time. when the sun was elsewhere, it was a matter of taking the filter out, rotating it 45 degrees to where it worked best, and then putting it back in the box.

with a surfeit of (well-paid) work i now have the luxury of a rotating stage, which gives me perfect control - and i now realise that my original set-up (non-rotating) was close to perfect with the sun behind me, but another 20 degrees (either way depending on time of day) IS perfect!

leslie
Old March 27th, 2010, 02:38 AM   #36
Major Player

How do you control the amount of filtration with a non-rotating polariser?
The cine set-up I'm talking about is the $99 version with the 4x4 filter tray mentioned in the first few posts.
Apart from a UV I don't see any other filter as being too useful these days.
Grads can be added in post, CC filters are non-existent, star filters are cheesy, pro mists maybe - what else do you use the matte box for apart from the flags.
Old March 27th, 2010, 03:43 AM   #37
Trustee

hi chris,

a. by positioning yourself relative to the sun. as i wrote, with the sun directly behind me my cpl was spot on, as the sun moved, so did the cpl's effectiveness - it was either repositioning myself, or losing the 100% effectiveness....

b. i prefer a screw on uv (also acts as a lens protector)

c. well, i like real life grads, even with magic bullet and the like i prefer the look of the real thing. pro mist's are a fantastic tool, especially with 'older' on screen talent. and added nd's make for a more flexible exposure. oh, and not to forget contrast filters.

but in truth, i find the cpl packs a great deal of production value compared to the others, and the cost of a decent matte box with rotating stage is quickly made up by clients coming back for more....
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #38
Major Player

leslie... "by positioning yourself relative to the sun..."
I'm not sure if waiting for the sun to move is a very effective way to get the right amount of filtration from a polariser..isn't that, sort of limiting.
But basically what you're saying is that there is no rotating polariser for this box!
Yes I have a screw in UV and a screw in polariser, but the lens shade has to be removed to use both - which is why I thought this set-up may work.
Instead of promists you could fiddle with the skintone detail in the menu and assign it as a profile - that way you can avoid that 80's soft look and lack of contrast. It is a very handy tool.
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #39
Trustee

hi chris,

well, my main reason for the cpl was shooting horses, and i could move both them and myself at any time (thankfully).

nope, there's no rotating stage on the box - though cine city do make a cheap imitation of the vocas with a rotating stage. i decided that since the horses were paying, i'd get a proper one - otherwise, given my experience with the cheap one described above, i would have gone with the indian copy. bear in mind, you get what you pay for though.

your points are valid re. skin tone, but to be honest, i prefer my grads and mists in camera - i'm old school and yes, i know what can be achieved in post is pretty bloody impressive, i'm still happier doing it on camera.

all the best

leslie
Old March 30th, 2010, 02:31 AM   #40
Major Player

Thanks for your feedback leslie-it's been very helpful.
good luck with the shooting
Old March 30th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #41
Trustee

pleasure chris.....
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:30 AM   #42
Trustee

just thought i add (if anyone's interested), thoughts on my new tripod:

my sachtler fsb4, single stage mid spreader arrived - haven't been out in the field (literally) with it yet, but just playing around with the head is a joy.

holds my z5 and mb quite firmly. counterbalances very well considering how front end heavy it is.

head movement in all planes is wonderful - can forget all those old elastic band tricks!!!

the legs look flimsier than my old miller ds10 ones, but they appear to do
the job just as well - pretty similar to what i thought when changing from miller
wooden ones to alloy....

the miller ds10 head was great, but no real comparison to the sachtler, and my main reason for getting new legs was the extra 4cm or so in height - it's now perfect for my eye line with the legs fully extended and locked off.

if your camera and accessories are 1.5kg more than the z5, i'd suggest the fsb6.

i think in the field i might just start off with adding some extra weight to the spreader till i really feel confident - it's so much lighter than the miller (though it doesn't display any tendency to twist with firm pan settings - something light tripods always seemed to do).
Old May 30th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #43
Major Player

Got my cine city matte box today, barely a week after I ordered it. Looks great, fits great and a bargain!!
Ok, it's not a swingaway Chroziel, but for simple filter work and a flag it's sensational.
Good find whoever dug this up.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000