canon adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:32 AM   #1
Inner Circle

canon adapter

I currently have a set of Samyang (rokinon) lenzes that fit my canon 550d.

I"m looking for a cheap simple adapter to attach these lenzes to the nex ea50, since the Samyang lenzes do not communicate with the camerabody I don't need the Metabones adapter. Does anyone know what to get? I have been looking on Ebay and I see a lot of these "Canon FD Adapter to Sony NEX-5 NEX-3 E mount adapter" or "
Canon EOS EF Auto Focus Lens to Sony E NEX 3/ Nex-5 Adapter Mount Ring"

Would these type of adapters be ok to use?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 02:24 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: canon adapter

Hallo Noa,
Sorry for my Bad English ;-)

I see the EA50 tomorrow for the first time and I'm looking forward to it
Currently I Work with a Canon XH-A1 and Canon 7D
And for Holidays with a NEX 5N

I have this Adapter for my NEX5N für my Canon Lenses:

Canon EOS-Objektiv - Sony NEX Adapter (E-Bajonett) kaufen im Enjoyyourcamera.com Shop

I hope I could help you

gr, Franz
Franz Brandstetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The EOS mount and the FD mounts are different. None of the FD mounts will work with an EOS lens. Be sure to get an EOS mount to NEX (Sony E) mount.

An adapter such as this one will work:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/774462-REG/Dot_Line_DL_0802_NEX_Adapter_f_Canon_EOS.html
Old January 3rd, 2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thx guys!

I have found an interesting adapter: Kipon Lens Mount Adapter (Canon EF/EOS (incl. diafragma) naar Sony NEX)

It has a build in glass with iris that can be smoothly adjusted, the glass would be good to protect the sensor from dust while you change lenzes. Do you think this will work with my "canon mount" Samyang lenzes?

Old January 3rd, 2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Inner Circle

From what I have read about adapters with irises is this - don't do it. They suck.

The iris is in the wrong place for it to work properly. It will induce all kids of unwanted optical aberrations.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:10 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Ok, so basically the Kipon Lens Mount Adapter (Canon EF/EOS to Sony NEX) without the iris ring should be a better option?
Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Thx for the link Franz, the Kipon I referred to is almost twice as expensive but it seems like good quality, I have some very cheap Ebay adapters for my Canon 5D and Nikon Nokkor lenzes but there is a bit of play after the lens is attached meaning it doesn't fit like it should. I think with adapters you also get what you pay for I guess. It doesn't seem to affect the image though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Brandstetter View Post
I see the EA50 tomorrow for the first time and I'm looking forward to it
If nothing strange happens the same here :) I ordered it in a Dutch store and they have a "order today delivered tomorrow" policy so I rather order from them in case I get warranty issues, planning to order the adapter tomorrow so I have it beginning next week because I really want to see how the camera performs with my Samyang primes.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:52 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Ok, so basically the Kipon Lens Mount Adapter (Canon EF/EOS to Sony NEX) without the iris ring should be a better option?
Absolutely.
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Any views on this one? There has to be a reason why it's way more expensive than the others

Sony NEX System : Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Smart Adapter II

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #10
Inner Circle

That one allows you to controll aperture on your Canon lenzes which explains why it's so expensive, I might get this one much later because I have a few Canon lenzes but for the time being the much cheaper Kipon will do as well as I plan to mainly use my Samyang primes with the camera.
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #11
Inner Circle

There is Pete, That one is an electronic adapter that supports the electrically actuated iris of the Canon EOS lenses. Lots more than simple machined metal and plastic going on in there. It is actually a little computer as well as a mechanical mount.
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:18 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Aah - would work nicely with my 'L' series lenses then!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #13
New Boot

And this one...
Electronic Aperture EOS NEX adapter AF version with rotating tripod collar

also
TECHART Canon EOS EF EF-S lens to Sony NEX E adapter AF AUTOFOCUS USM I.S. Work | eBay
Franz Brandstetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #14
Trustee

Noa,

Regardless of which one you end up using the fit and feel of the build is critical. Those cheep ones that "don't feel right" can cause serious damage to your camera. The interface between body and lens is a finely machined locking surface. It needs to be so perfect it not only keeps bad stuff out, it must keep light out. They usually don't leak unless they are absolute garbage but when they don't feel right something is wrong. It means the adapter is not machined to the same exact factory specs as the body and you could be scrapping the surface of the body mount. There is a post on this board where someone says it takes him several minutes just to line up and get his adapter to finally go on! Please don't damage the machined surface on your body.

The old adage...If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed fixin anyway....does not apply here :)

Steve
Old January 4th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Yeah I know, I ordered the Kipon as it seems to be a good build, it's not "ebay" cheap and it comes with a 2 year warranty, I bought it in the same store where I got the camera and since it will be used a lot, if it fails, the warranty should cover that. I also think (and hope) the store won't sell this unless they are sure about the quality, something you can't be sure about when ordering from a chinese Ebay mass producer. If it would mess up your camera I"m pretty sure they won't care.

edit: I didn't hear about Kipon before but now I found it is a US based company and they seem to be very sure about the quality of their adapters.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)