Pixellation in 50P/60P mode - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old August 23rd, 2014, 05:46 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Pixellation in 50P/60P mode

Hi Serggio

What picture profile are you using? Pete seems to get it when he uses PP3 and I think that's due to the fact that Profile 3 tends to lift highlights in shadowed areas. At night a bright light amongst all the black darkness will cause a highlight flare and that seems to be the issue ..when there is overexposed highlights and when you are using PS mode which is double frame rate.

To be honest I still shoot in 50i at 24mbps and then decode to a 25P timeline in Sony Vegas and I never have the issue ..My Panasonic cameras also used to pixelate in 50P mode but not posterize like Pete shows ...I can use any profile at 50i and never an issue on the EA-50's

I STILL think that when the camera has a very complex scene to digitize it's 28 mbps bitrate falls apart ...someone said to me that the minimum bitrate for 50P with AVCHD files should be 50 mbps. However that was someone else's comment not my opinion!

Can you post a frame grab from the footage and give us an idea of the profile used??? Maybe it will ring some bells in someone's head??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 06:47 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Chris i use PP3 for this video have Pixellation iso 2500/ 1/50 f 5.6
link for demo,download it is better from play
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bv4uijv37...00066.MTS?dl=0
i make test in 50i without profile.
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 08:21 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Serggio

Yep I see your problem!! It looks like to me that the camera cannot write all the 50P data fast enough to the card! Are you using at least a Class 10 card in the camera ... a slow card will also cause that issue and even poor brands of cards that are marked as Class 10 often are slower. I only use Transcend Class 10 and have had issues even with Sandisk cards.

In 50i the workload on the camera is way less, even in XA mode which is 24 mbps and I always use PP3 except I have lifted the colour level up 3 points in the profile as it's very flat. You can use PP3 very well in XA mode (50i) with no issues ..For indoors "no profile" is hard to colour correct . The blacks are VERY crushed with no profile and you will struggle with people using dark suits!!! so PP3 is way better

If you are going to work in 50P then I would suggest get the best and fastest cards you can find and stick with PP3 even with 50i

Go into the PP3 profile on the camera and change the colour level setting from zero to "+3" ..it's perfect for indoors and doesn't need too much adjustment for outdoor shots in the sun. It's a really nice modification!!

Your main problem still looks like a poor SDHC card but I still stick to 50i at the best setting and get awesome results.

Chris
Old August 23rd, 2014, 08:48 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I just looked at the clip but don't see where you see issues with the transferspeed of the recorded data to the card? I do see something that looks a bit like interlacing but where exactly do you see the pixellation?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 11:43 AM   #20
Regular Crew

i have this Sony SDHC 32GB Class 10
http://a.scdn.gr/images/sku_main_ima...80348-Sony.jpg
Chris what is XA mode?
Noa i play this in my tv monitor 42 with Pixellation
Old August 23rd, 2014, 07:40 PM   #21
Inner Circle

That should be OK as a card so that's puzzling!!

The sample file I assume is direct from the camera as it's an MTS file. There is pixellation at the beginning especially on the guy's bald head. 50P mode tends to favour areas that highlight like bald patches on heads and cheek bones on faces.

Sorry Serggio I meant FX mode for 50i not AX Mode .. my brain wasn't working!!

I haven't experience the problem on my Sony's but Peter did find that it tends to occur only in 50P when you are using PP3 .... When I do use 50P on commercial shoots I don't use PP3 so I never see the problem.

Did any of your other footage have the problem or was it just this clip?

Chris
Old August 24th, 2014, 01:53 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serggio Lamas View Post
Noa i play this in my tv monitor 42 with Pixellation
Ok but where do you see pixelation? The footage looks fine to me.
Old August 24th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Noa Maybe it has a lot of noise from the iso 2500,whats better to use iso or db and at what safe prices?
Old August 24th, 2014, 11:26 AM   #24
Inner Circle

iso and gain is the same, they just use different values. Higher iso (like 2500 and above) will result in more noise but again, your image looks fine, even on my bigger tv screen so I don't know what exactly you are referring to. It might help if you would export a frame and draw some kind of arrow (in a photoshop aike program) pointing at where you are seeing the problem.

Maybe someone else can have a look? Maybe I need a pair of glasses :)
Old August 24th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #25
Regular Crew

my glasses is fine,the lens glasses is not good in night shots this video is not good take it in 3 meters in more meter in low light the image video not see,very blur image video and in particular in the hair of humans more 3 meters in low light with video light Comer CM-LBPS1800
the day has good image
Old August 24th, 2014, 06:02 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

The hair of the two guys serving themselves is very smudgy especially the one of the left? There should be any blur at 50P at all ... might be just due to the ISO level but I don't see a lot of noise in the picture so I'm not sure the iso level is at fault either. It's a very short clip ..maybe a longer one would help?

Chris
Old August 25th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #27
Regular Crew

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dc1h7ofo5g...00043.MTS?dl=0
blur image video and in particular in the hair of humans more 3 meters in low light with video light Comer CM-LBPS1800
download not play
Old August 25th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Ok I downloaded that and the video looks absolutely perfect to me?? There is no blur and no pixellation at all

Chris
Old August 26th, 2014, 06:14 AM   #29
Regular Crew

the hair of humans is blur in your full hd tv 1920x1080 whats your monitor,is big full hd? i have default tv lg full hd tv monitor view from 60 Points and the the hair of humans is blur,what's the matter?
Old August 26th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #30
Inner Circle

I'm looking at it on my computer monitor which is a 23" and I cannot see any issues. Are you connecting to your TV direct from the camera? If so are you using an HDMI cable ..using the video out cables will drop the format down to SD 720x576

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)