Pixellation in 50P/60P mode - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old August 26th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: Pixellation in 50P/60P mode

using an HDMI cable from pc to tv and the video play from hard disc.
the Pixellation is the same in 50p and 50i see the dog's feet.With canon lens 1.8
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6buwnrp3gm...00016.mp4?dl=0

Last edited by Serggio Lamas; August 26th, 2014 at 12:05 PM.
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #32
Regular Crew

The camera has enough trouble in moire & aliasing,and this creates the Pixellation the sony does not see to fix it with upgrade firmware????
Old August 28th, 2014, 10:45 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serggio Lamas View Post
see the dog's feet.
Ok, I now see what you mean, btw, I was not making fun of you when I said I might need glasses, I actually do :) But in the previous videos I couldn't see what you where talking about as to me these looked fine and what I would expect from the nex-ea50.

The dogs feet are clear now what the issue is, I have seen this as well when I had the camera, I shot in a church with the nex-ea50 and a sony cx730 and in the distance there was a stained glass window with a saint pictured in it that had lots of fine detail, my cx730 was able to show the different lines in the glass so I could see a saint was portrait in it while the ea50 could not, there was some kind of shimmering going on (or "pixelation") which blurred the lines together, there I only could see there was a window but not what image was in the stained glass.

The ea50 produces quite some moire and aliasing and I believe this is what is causing that pixelation on very fine detail (like you said), not much you can do about it, that's just a limitation of the camera and that's not something they can fix with a firmware update, I believe the sensor is actually one not optimised for video but for photo.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #34
Regular Crew

button for photo not there should be a video camera, they do not need a professional, has much better photo with Canon nikon and lens 2.8 1.4 1.8. i take this camera for wedding but with this moire & aliasing I will not use it at all embarrassed at weddings,feel that I threw my money.
The previous camera hxr nx5 I had trouble in back focus issue and the nex 50eh moire & aliasing is the last time, I will not trust Sony camera again in any case we.
The Sony and introduced the well that has a large sensor, but we do not say they have enough problems in moire & aliasing,the large sensor in nex ea 50 is pure marketing for sales.
I have not taken a hoot with this camera I have only two months, I lost Opposite customers blame the moire & aliasing especially in long shots.
With the money that I gave you and buy lumix gh4
and money for me and many coffees, now drink orange juice, what you drink?

Last edited by Serggio Lamas; August 28th, 2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old August 28th, 2014, 01:38 PM   #35
Inner Circle

For weddings it's actually a nice camera, I have used it for a year and really liked it, I got rid of it mainly because I found it too big to use. Never had a client complaining about the image quality.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
button for photo not there should be a video camera, they do not need a professional, has much better photo with Canon nikon and lens 2.8 1.4 1.8. i take this camera for wedding but with this moire & aliasing I will not use it at all embarrassed at weddings,feel that I threw my money.
The previous camera hxr nx5 I had trouble in back focus issue and the nex 50eh moire & aliasing is the last time, I will not trust Sony camera again in any case we.
The Sony and introduced the well that has a large sensor, but we do not say they have enough problems in moire & aliasing,the large sensor in nex ea 50 is pure marketing for sales.
I have not taken a hoot with this camera I have only two months, I lost Opposite customers blame the moire & aliasing especially in long shots.
With the money that I gave you and buy lumix gh4
and money for me and many coffees, now drink orange juice, what you drink?
I haven't noticed significant issues with moire and aliasing with my EA50. Maybe I don't pixel peep as much.. but it hasn't ever bothered me. And I've never had a client complain about the image quality.

People tend to forget that this is an entry-level camera, and it's very well-priced for what you get. If it had much better imagine quality, it would be encroaching on Sony's more expensive large sensor cameras.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 06:44 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Hi Serggio

Me too! I have shot many many weddings on my EA-50's and brides have been happy with the results ...These cameras are 14 months old now and no issues. I see a few bits of moire now and again but it doesn't bother me ...the FS700 and double the price can also get moire on detailed objects. My Panasonic cameras over the years with 3 chips also had the occasional bit of moire which never was an issue.

I simply don't get any pixellation at al with either camera but then again I shooting 50i and then blending frames into 25P footage at editing so maybe that is less noticeable??

You can always sell the camera and buy something else? I'm happy with mine! Maybe look at a JVC HM850? Brilliant camera but twice the price of course!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Chris maybe you could pull my one minute video with the lens 18 200 at full zoom out a car sideways to see if your camera recorders or moire & aliasing?
Old August 28th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Hi Serggio

Are you serious? You want to point the camera out a car window at full zoom and drive down the road ???

May I ask why??? That won't cause any moire but you will certainly get some blur at 200mm if the car is speeding down the road!

Moire is caused by fine patterns that the sensor cannot handle well ..I even see it on broadcast TV! Film someone with a shirt that has thin vertical stripes on it and you see moire or anything that has fine vertical or horizontal lines ..Often you will get it on roof tiles or slates as a shimmering .... 99.9% of viewers don't even notice it!!

I'm still wondering why you want to film out of a moving car at full zoom?

Chris
Old August 29th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Chris maybe were not understood, if have the time wrote a car from the side stops the car not in motion static at full zoom out like this directly from camera not edit or convert original MTS file (download not play) https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyba2xqgu7...00020.MTS?dl=0

Last edited by Serggio Lamas; August 29th, 2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old August 29th, 2014, 01:53 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Hi Serggio

Thanks I have it downloaded and see your problem .. the hard edges of the car are shimmering ...

I'll shoot some footage of my car for you (it's raining at the moment though!) It's worse at wide angle too.

Comments from anyone else in the meantime??

Chris
Old August 29th, 2014, 02:20 AM   #42
Major Player

That is pretty bad. I haven't noticed that with my EA50. Could it be a defective sensor or something?
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Hi Jody

I would suspect it's on the PP3 setting and shot in bright sunlight and you can see how over-exposed the footage is too. PP3 has a knee setting that is designed to lift detail from shadows in low light so in bright sunshine it doesn't work so well as it's lifting highlighted hard edges on the car body which you don't want.

Serggio?? Can you tell us what profile you used..it looks like PP3 and was the camera on full auto??

I would suspect that the shutter was way up and the aperture was probably F16 at least so it would have more than likely over exposed badly. If you can remember what the shutter and iris indicated that would also be useful. Try the same sort of shot at PP4 profile and see if it does the same thing??

Chris
Old August 29th, 2014, 04:28 AM   #44
Regular Crew

no profile f 7.1 iso 500 in new test with pp3 pp4 is the some problem and f 16 as much
ask all of you send me something similar to see and compare with my problem please!!!
Old August 29th, 2014, 04:52 AM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
no profile f 7.1 iso 500 in new test with pp3 pp4 is the some problem and f 16 as much
ask all of you send me something similar to see and compare with my problem please!!!
What was the shutter speed? It is possible that a high shutter speed could cause those issues.

I'll send you something similar tomorrow, it's currently night here.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)