Good EX3 bag - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 19th, 2008, 05:32 AM   #16
Major Player

Sure Ted ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
I'm interested in trading my EX3 for a Handycam. Any takers? ;-)
I have an extra DVX100 around here ... how about that ?
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #17
Major Player

Mike - the Kata HB-207 will not accommodate the EX-3. I looked at this before I purchased the Kata-502.

The problem is a practical one - I can only carry 3 bags - The camera bag, Tripod bag and my clothing. Once I arrive at my destination I do hire an assistant usually. But there are cases where I travel by myself - on small hops, like Beijing to Bangkok.

Its not practical for me to have a laptop in a 4th bag and the EX-3 workflow, now makes having a laptop a necessity. Right now I have the kata 502 and I am 5 weeks away from a major trip, so I will keep my eyes open, but I am not anticipating any change.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Strut

I'm just about to order the Strut GTC-3

Strut Gunner GTC-3

I'll post pics of my EX3 in there when it arrives next week.
Zachary Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Fink View Post
I'm just about to order the Strut GTC-3

Strut Gunner GTC-3

I'll post pics of my EX3 in there when it arrives next week.
Please let us know how this works out. But I am curious as it states on their website that the bag is 8 inches wide external size. My EX-3 measures 9.5 inches wide. Maybe they count the viewfinder blister extra?
Old September 19th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #20
Major Player

Is that the Handycam with the removeable viewfinder?
Mike Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
Please let us know how this works out. But I am curious as it states on their website that the bag is 8 inches wide external size. My EX-3 measures 9.5 inches wide. Maybe they count the viewfinder blister extra?
I think the width is the inside bottom of the bag, not the top where the viewfinder bulge is.

I just spoke with the owner of a shop that sells both the Strut and Portabrace (plus others), and is saying that this bag is well made with great materials and fits the EX3 perfectly. She recommended it over any other bag in her store. It's on its way to me now.
Zachary Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #22
Major Player

Please keep us informed.

If you click on the bag details a new window pops up. It states that the EXTERNAL width is 8 inches - which to me, is not useable for the EX-3 by a long shot.
This is all moot anyway, as I need to get a laptop and some accessories into the same bag also ... the search continues.
Old September 20th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #23
Major Player

For limited additional items, I will add another vote for the Kata CC-195. It holds the EX3 almost perfectly and as mentioned before it is within all airline carry on rules right now. So far I can fit my EX3, the 0.8X wide angle adapter, a shotgun, the battery charger, all supplied cable, two 60 batteries, the PHU-60K, a couple of dead cats for the mics, an XLR cable and I will still have room for a Microlite and a few other odds and ends I want to have all in one bag. This gives the traveller the crucial items in a carry on.

If you need more gear then it becomes more logical to rent locally at the shoot or ship the extras ahead or in checked luggage. Clothes don't matter as they can be purchased anywhere you travel should your clothing get lost. I sill have room for a emergency shirt, underwear and socks in my CC-195 though :)

With all airlines, this still leaves the availability for a second carry on item for a computer bag, and even with some the option of these two bags and in addition a "purse".

The Kata CC-197 is too big for carry on for many airlines and really doesn't seem to offer anything better without buying additional dividers. The Portabrace CTC-3 fits but is basically a camera bag and will not hold much else. The Kata 502 seems to be a good option for non air travelers who need to carry everything to remote locations but I have no experience with it. I was unable to try a Lowepro Commercial but it also looks like a possible option and my well be a better one than the Kata CC-195.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #24
Major Player

Based on some recommendations, as well as my tape measure, I have purchased a new bag for the EX3. It is the Kata (I'm pretty impressed with this brand now) CC-195. Now, the CC-197 is slightly larger, and should do a better job holding the camera, but this one does fit.

I opted for the 195 because it was not quite as long (by about 3.5 inches) and one inch narrower. I will need to take it as a carry-on on some smaller flights, and so I'm very concerned about dimensions.

I'm impressed with the amount of space it has, left me nearly three inches down the side of the bag (minus where the viewfinder resides) and about four inches at the rear (or front) of the camera. Quite a lot can fit here, that that was great.

But I need a rolling carry-on, and thought the Kata Trolley works with this bag, the engineering for this is terribly poor. The bag goes on the Trolley sideways. Perhaps I should have seen this from the pics on their site, but I just thought they set the bag there, I never would have imagined that they intended for one to roll it around behind them with it's full width of nearly 24" blocking the way.

Other than that, it's great. Can't fit a lot extra, but would have been plenty for me. The Trolley thing is a deal-breaker, though.

So, another wrong bag and I'm now ordering a new one - the CC-197. The only differences are that the 197 is one inch wider, and about 3.5" longer - still looks good for the flights I usually take. Oh, and of course, the Trolley fits into the bag under the bottom, the long way. So when you are toting it, it is following you in a narrow path.

And I'm starting a bag store with all of the wrong orders.

(and YES it's my mistake for not buying locally - leave me alone Dave Morrison! :-) )
Old September 26th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #25
Inner Circle

I use an-off-the self hard shell carry on regulation size wheeled bag for my EX3. There is plenty of room for the camera, charger, batteries, SxS cards and a few other personal items. I then put my laptop in a small laptop bag and these make up my carry-on. I have a clip on strap that goes around the handle of the carry-on case and I can use that to attach my laptop bag to the wheelie bag. I then have a large hard shell samsonite suite case that takes my tripod legs diagonally inside. I have travelled all around the world with this combo. It protects my gear without attracting attention, I only have to wheel around two bags, the big samsonite case is much lighter than an equivalent flight case so I normally avoid excess baggage.
Old September 26th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #26
Major Player

Alister,

I like the tripod solution! I was planning on the same things with my notebook case (slim) and camera bag - they'll clip together. But I really like the Samsonite case for the tripod. Not a bad place for a few changes of clothes and perhaps some tools as well.
Old September 27th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #27
Major Player

Kata keep updating their line - so the choice is dizzying.

My ideal for the EX-3 is still the Kata-502 but I have yet to board a plane with this. Has anyone flown with this bag yet?
I shoot outside in remote locations, and having a laptop was a necessity. However - now that SD cards allow hours of shooting for a cheap price, I am free from needing a laptop at all times - this can be left in a hotel room.

So the bag situation just got a little more complicated. I have 6 weeks before I leave for Tibet, so I have time. All my bags need to be carried by shoulder or backpack - camera, tripod (Miller Solo), clothing and laptop. Any wheels have to detach as they do not work well on mountainous paths,
Old September 27th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #28
Major Player

Alister ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I use an-off-the self hard shell carry on regulation size wheeled bag for my EX3. There is plenty of room for the camera, charger, batteries, SxS cards and a few other personal items. I then put my laptop in a small laptop bag and these make up my carry-on. I have a clip on strap that goes around the handle of the carry-on case and I can use that to attach my laptop bag to the wheelie bag. I then have a large hard shell samsonite suite case that takes my tripod legs diagonally inside. I have travelled all around the world with this combo. It protects my gear without attracting attention, I only have to wheel around two bags, the big samsonite case is much lighter than an equivalent flight case so I normally avoid excess baggage.
Can you shoot some pics of this setup?
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
.....And I'm starting a bag store with all of the wrong orders.

(and YES it's my mistake for not buying locally - leave me alone Dave Morrison! :-) )
Ted, I almost blew Diet Coke out of my nose when I read this line!! ;-) Too funny!

dave
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:03 PM   #30
Major Player

I have found my utopia in a camera bag...

And I feel a little like Edison for so many failed attempts preceding this one!

Kata CC-197. Unless you want a backpack, this bag is IDEAL! For the following reasons:

1. It is the only bag that I have tried that accomodates the viewfinder so well. It doesn't even rub anywhere!

2. Compartments/sections are configurable with quite a bit of room in them.

3. I can fit all my stuff in there easily, remove my camera only, and everything else will stay (provided I don't kick it around or turn it upside down - in this aspect the BP-502 is the clear winner).

4. The Trolly fits into it it so that it rolls behind you in a vertical fashion.

5. My notebook (Dell XPS M1330 w/ Expresscard slot, Vista 64-bit, 4GB, 360GB, Vegas 8.1 64-bit) fits perfectly fine if I need it. It takes up lots of packing room, so there will be choices to be made at times, but it fits in it easily.

6. Viewfinder doesn't even have to be lowered to fit well in the bag. You can leave the eyepiece on as well provided you don't pack a notebook computer in the bag. I know I already mentioned the room for the viewfinder, but it is SO nice it deserved mention again.

7. I believe I'll have no problem carrying it on a plane - if I lay my "regular" well within the specs carry-on next to it, this bag is about 2" longer and 1" or 2" taller, but 3" narrower.

In the case, I have packed the following:

-EX3 with my customized AB battery/mic mount that extends off the back
-Dell XPS M1330
-Dionic 90 battery (on camera) and charger
-Recharger for AA batteries
-Sony MDR-7506 full coverage headphones
-Wireless transmitter and receiver (Sennheiser)
-Two Sony wired lavaier mics, each in their own 9"x3"x1" case
-Rode NG-1 w/ Rycote Softie and K-Tek mount
-Sony zoom-though wide angle lens adapter

Here are a few pictures - in the first one I'm trying to hold it apart so that you can see better inside the bag:
Attached Thumbnails
Good EX3 bag-cc197a.jpg   Good EX3 bag-cc197b.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds