Good EX3 bag - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 24th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #61
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Reich View Post
So I have with some interest waded through all the posts on the 'perfect' bag for the EX3, and unless I have missed it somewhere, has anyone tried a bag for an EX3 fitted with the COCOEX V-mount battery adapter AND a Lectro (or similar) wireless receiver holder attached to the plate on the side of the COCO? While this is a bit cumbersome, I like to keep at least one wireless receiver attached to my camera at all times. This setup requires a lot of space on the handgrip side of the camera, as well as of course the VF side. I tried a Kata 197 and it didn't fit with this receiver/battery setup. I also use a Chrosziel sunshade that I prefer to leave on the camera..... and one thing I'd like a bag to do, is provide for some protection for transporting the camera in a vehicle while on a shoot. But, I'd like to have the camera fully rigged (shotgun mounted using a CAC-12 which raises the mic substantially), matte box, battery, wireless with antennas attached. In this configuration, I wouldn't expect ANY bag to close, but if it could be left open so the camera could easily be removed and replaced repeatedly during a shoot day, this would be a big plus. So far, I haven't seen a thing which would accommodate this.... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Derek,

This surprises me.

I designed a "similar" mount (talked with Bebob about manufacturing it but they were about to release theirs) and it fit great in the 197 bag. Here it is...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/918341-post7.html

I guess my design sat lower as I fasten the mount to the two bottom screws and the strap loop which are the most secure mounting points at the rear of the camera. For some reason, they opted to mount to the cold shoe (!?) and supply a second cold shoe. Also, I mounted the mic receiver to the side - you might be trying to mount your receiver to their added cold shoe. perhaps you can mount your receiver the system to the side?
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #62
New Boot

Kata 197

I'll also throw in my recommendation for the Kata 197 bag for the EX3. Fits nicely in width, length is plenty long for camera and your accessories (charger, wireless mics, shotgun, batteries, etc). The only problem is the lack of a custom tray/divider that would fit underneath the viewfinder (such an awkward design for fully utilizing a bag/case!), so I'm crafting one myself to get exactly what I need. I felt the 195 was just a bit too small and narrow after looking at it. And I didn't like any Petrol bag that I tried to fit my gear in.
Jeremy Wilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #63
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Wilker View Post
I'll also throw in my recommendation for the Kata 197 bag for the EX3. Fits nicely in width, length is plenty long for camera and your accessories (charger, wireless mics, shotgun, batteries, etc). The only problem is the lack of a custom tray/divider that would fit underneath the viewfinder (such an awkward design for fully utilizing a bag/case!), so I'm crafting one myself to get exactly what I need. I felt the 195 was just a bit too small and narrow after looking at it. And I didn't like any Petrol bag that I tried to fit my gear in.
Yeah, the 195 was a close 2nd choice for me. If fit - barely - but didn't leave much room for other gear. I can but the EX3 in the 197 case, climb in next to it, and hear an echo when I talk to myself. Well, not really, but there is quite a bit of extra room. I've added my 13" notebook, headphones, WA adapter, batteries, wireless pacs, Sony wired lavs in boxes, charger, and a six dozen mini-dv tapes. Ha, just kidding - I don't need tapes anymore! Wahooo!!!
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #64
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Is the VF brace as long as the DM (I do not have the battery hinge), just the shoulder bit.
The VF Version is slightly shorter than the DM. The CC-197 is a long bag and accommodate both versions easily.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #65
Trustee

Thanks Ted, Paul, Jeremy and others.

It looks like the Kata cc-197 is the one for me. Hope I can fit my paked lunch in too.
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #66
Major Player

Hey, Ted-
I screwed my Lectro receiver holder to the side plate on the Bebob. With this added width, the Kata 197 was just not wide enough... it's hard for me to see what receiver you are using in your photo, but it looks much smaller than the Lectrosonics 205's I'm using. I do mount one receiver on the Bebob cold shoe when I am using two wires, but don't keep one at this location unless I need both wires as it interferes with the grip. (not to mention added weight) I could get the camera in the bag sort of angled, but the problem was pulling it out easily.... the receiver would hang up on the 'lip' which overhangs both sides of the bag. Length wasn't a problem, even with my Chrosziel sunshade attached, but the sunshade also impeded easy removal of the camera from the bag because of the width. If the bag didn't have those overhanging 'lips', it might have worked well for me. I really wanted a bag which would allow the camera to be fully rigged with wires and shotgun, etc. and at least allow the camera to sit inside with the bag open. (I certainly wouldn't expect any bag to close fully rigged). But having a bag with the ability to do this would provide for a secure place to park the camera while working out of a vehicle, and allow for the dozens of times a day that the camera would be needed and ready to shoot.

I have had some very nice correspondence with John Fairley at Strut, and he says he is working on a new (or modified) bag which may work nicely. I'm very impressed with the customer service and responsiveness of this company. With all the different variations of camera accessories and personal requirements in a bag, I don't envy the people trying to keep up with bag designs.

In the meantime, the search goes on!
thanks for your input-
cheers
Derek Reich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #67
Regular Crew

PortaBrace DVO-3 on a plane

FWIW, I flew with my EX-3 in a PortaBrace DVO-3 this week. It's a tight fit in the overhead, but was made much easier when the flight attendant suggested flipping open the top flap to make it just a tad less tall. Works great, provided the pilot doesn't decide to perform any barrel rolls. This was on a Southwest flight from Orlando to Baltimore.

http://i44.tinypic.com/35k1x86.jpg

Dave Bittner
Pixel Workshop
Columbia, MD
Dave Bittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #68
Major Player

Hi Dave,

Always interesting to know! I was looking at that bag myself in camo! But opt for the CC-197 simply because I had a good deal and everything I wanted to fit in it, did! Mind you, I’ve not tried flying with it yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy shooting,

Paul
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #69
Regular Crew

Kata R-106?

Has anyone used the Kata R-106 for their EX3? Please share any verdict on the experience? Is the BP-502 much better?
Rodney Minott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #70
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
The only thing I remove is the shotgun. Thanks to the DM-accessories cold mount adapter for the EX cameras audio pod, it's a twist of the thumb and it slides out. I don't even remove the 90 degree mic connector. I just spin the shotgun 180 degrees and lay it back in the bag.

I also use the K-tek mount - the protruding rubber keeps anything from scratching the camera.
Ted, are you using this DM-Accessories - EX-FLAT - Shoe Mounts for Sony EX1 & EX3 Camcorders
with this DM-Accessories - BOT-FLAT Underside Universal Shoe Mount
or this B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders
to mount your shotgun?
Old May 17th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #71
New Boot

+1 for the kata 502

Here are some photos of the layout I used. It fits my full size windshielded mic which is great (fluffy windjammer is under the windshield in the photo) . Also, the tripod holder attachment which I didn't think would be of use for my Libec T102 supports it perfectly well! You can feel the bag twisting under the uneven load but it's not too bad after cranking up the waist belt and straps. Also I position the camera so it sits at the top of the bag so the two side flaps can be closed over the top of it all, with the viewfinder protruding through the gap. Very impressed by the build quality of the bag and all it's features! Bargain on Amazon.co.uk at the moment too. (photo of me from behind was taken sitting down, it almost looks like it comes over my head but it doesn't)
Attached Thumbnails
Good EX3 bag-r0011025.jpg   Good EX3 bag-r0011026.jpg  

Good EX3 bag-r0011028.jpg   Good EX3 bag-r0011019.jpg  

Old May 17th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #72
Major Player

But I found the Back pack 502 will not fit in most overhead bins. I bought this and returned it and went for the Kata 197.
Also the 502 was just too heavy as a backpack once I filled it - so as I started to take some accessories out and I realized this defeats the purpose.
The 197 will fit in overheads. It's a tight squeeze. The tiny commuter flights are out - their bins are too small - like American Eagle for example.
The 197, though a great bag, is difficult to carry as a shoulder bag. I travel in some tough conditions - mountains, remote area of Asia, Tibet, India etc and I carried the 197 for 2 months recently - I am sure my spine is now leaning to my left side! Attaching wheels to the bag will not help when there is only a rough footpath.
I will stay with the 197 until the perfect back pack does get made....
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #73
Major Player

I have to second Jon, I used to have the 502 with my XL-H1 and I always had to take the camera out and send the check in the bag. It´s also a quite heavy bag, but it´s very good to carry and you get everything in there.
I´ve spent a lot of time in the mountains on skis with that bag and it felt very comfortable. A bit heavy though.

I need a back pack, so I went with the Kata 207. It´s a tight fit and I have to take the veiwfinder off and keep the camera a little tilted to one side in the compartment, but it works.
And I can get it in the overhead compartment on most flights. It even has room for my Macbook Pro
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #74
Regular Crew

Kata R-106?

What about the Kata R-106?
Rodney Minott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #75
Regular Crew

I just got this one works great plenty of room.
Porta Brace | CTC-1 Traveler Camera Case (Black) | CTC-1B | B&H
Attached Images

Jason Davenport is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds